• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Consecutive mainsite searching is broken

Stratelier

I've noticed this on a few occasions and it turns out there's a peculiar pattern.

Try the following:
1 - On FA's mainsite Search, type in any popular search query and note the results start with "1 - 48 of (number)".
2 - Without leaving the page, change the query to something else and search again.
3 - Notice the results of this second search start with "49 - 96" not "1 - 48".
4 - Change the query to something new and search again; this time the results start with "97 - 144".
5 - Continue doing this and you will eventually get a blank page of results despite that the search summary says that it found available content.

A.k.a. your first search works normally, but a second search starts from page 2, a third search starts from page 3, and so on. The behavior resets if you manually reload the Search page (but it just happens again if you run more than one search).

There's also an inverse behavior:
1 - After a freshly loaded Search page, type in any popular search query and Search.
2 - Change the search query, but instead of pressing "Search", scroll to the bottom of the page and press "View More".
3 - The second page is based on the new search query instead of the original one.

Apparently, the two main halves of FA's Search page (the results list and the search box) are actually part of the same <form> as each other, so there is actually no functional difference between the "View More" button at the bottom and the "Search" button on the sidebar -- either one sends the same POST request to the server.

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
This should now be fixed.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
This should now be fixed.

I tested this and it does appear to be fixed.

Interestingly I noticed it took a few minutes after I uploaded a submission for it to appear in the search results. Is this a result of the fix, or just something I had never noticed before?

quoting_mungo

I tested this and it does appear to be fixed.

Interestingly I noticed it took a few minutes after I uploaded a submission for it to appear in the search results. Is this a result of the fix, or just something I had never noticed before?
FAIK it’s been the case for quite a while that indexing takes a bit.