• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Conservation and Wildlife (Almost $100 already donated)

I

Infrarednexus

I've taken an interest in conservation and helping endangered species. I figure that it's our responsibility to help these animals because it is usually our fault they are endangered in the first place. I made this thread so we can share and inform each other of endangered species and ecosystems we know of and spread awareness to educate one another on environmental protection.

Share your opinions and knowledge on the subject if you'd like.

Also, for each post in this thread I will be donating money to the kakapo recovery program in New Zealand's conservation department to help them in their efforts to replenish the endangered parrots population in their native habitats.
OIP.A8482AxyQvGfCSrp_OHOygHaFV

You're posts will go towards a good cause.

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
That's a great cause! It's really cool that you're doing this :)
And yeah we ought to own our mistakes. I used to live near a coral reef and it's crazy to witness first hand the damage humans can do on such a beautiful ecosystem.

Breyo

Professional Nibbler
This is so sweet and wholesome! I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think I may actually pick some place to donate to, as well. It's up to people who care to save our furry, feathered, or scaled friends! Are there any other causes that you'd recommend donating to?

I

Infrarednexus

This is so sweet and wholesome! I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think I may actually pick some place to donate to, as well. It's up to people who care to save our furry, feathered, or scaled friends! Are there any other causes that you'd recommend donating to?
It never hurts to check your local conservation departments and see if they need aid. It's always nice to help your local community. However if there is a certain animal you love that is endangered you can always spread awareness and help them.

There are so many causes I don't know where to begin honestly. Do some exploring and find an ecosystem, animal, or charity you like and go from there.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I'm surprised there aren't more threads about this. We need all we can get.

Doomer

Banned
Banned
Why should I care about some obscure species? They die off and make place for others. Its called natural selection

Groggy

Hm!
Very well then, allow me to make a post.
We have a largely respected preservation group in my country that's dedicated to sea turtles and other sea life, Projeto TAMAR.
I can almost certainly say that my interest for sea turtles began when I was visiting an aquarium on a school trip. I found out a lot about their work and discovered a lot of things about turtles that I didn't even imagine on that day. In fact, I was so amazed by it, I barely remember paying attention to the other animals... :confused:
The sea turtle has been my favorite animal ever since.

Putting that little story aside, the people working in those wildlife preservation groups are heroes. This is a very noble act from your part, and I sincerely hope the kakapos don't suffer the same fate as the glaucous macaw.

I

Infrarednexus

You know what? I'll match Nexus' donation up to $50 and I encourage everyone to do the same. Please drop a link to the donation page, Nexy.
Here is the link www.doc.govt.nz: Kākāpō Recovery
Why should I care about some obscure species? They die off and make place for others. Its called natural selection
When colonists arrived to the New Zealand islands they brought with them predators that invaded the Kakapos natural habitat, killing off the birds rapidly. Kakapo were hunted down to less than a hundred on the islands, do to human interference and invasive species.

Their plight is our fault, not the birds. WE are the ones responsible. Human beings are the only creatures on Earth with this level of capability of helping species other than ourselves. We should be using our intellect to save and protect life. If you don't care about any of that, I see no reason for you to be here.

Last edited by a moderator:

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Always lovely to see people helping with conservation! It's real important so that future generations can still see and look after them.
I wish I could donate, but right about now, money is tight. As soon as it becomes available, I'll make sure I help out, too!

Humans do so much damage to the environment...but only humans can fix it again.

*hugs for @Infrarednexus and all the Kakapos in the world*
Also *hugs for all the animals in the world, even the gigantic ones that are rather difficult to hug*

EDIT: Also, whilst watching the news, they had a segment about a guy who travels all over the world. He was in Borneo this time and went to an orangutan sanctuary they have.
It was very heartwarming to see the orangutans settled into a safe haven and the staff there were hopeful that they could repopulate. It does take a long time, though, so they still need some support from the public.

Kit H. Ruppell

Because this is likely the first mass extinction caused by the activities of a single animal species.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
I don't want to argue with you, so just think about what you said and how wrong it is.
If you don't want to help, whatever, but don't go trying to look for trouble.

Last edited:

Felix Bernard

Chemist, Conservative, Mark Levin fan
Preservation of species when necessary is good, but humans are superior in value and in worth.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter

Thrashy

The Drunk Skunk. Metal and Beer. FckNzs.
This thread is a wonderful idea!
What comes to my mind at my country, is the 30% decline in insect biodiversity. Also Within the short period of only three decades, humans have decimated the insect populations in various areas by up to 75 percent.
Imagine if all insects die. We die too.

Kit H. Ruppell

Preservation of species when necessary is good, but humans are superior in value and in worth.
That attitude is what got us into this mess in the first place, and a big part of why I'm an anti-theist.