• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Conservation and Wildlife (Almost $100 already donated)

Night.Claw

Why don't we just focus on sharing our interest in the actual topic of the thread, and sharing our achievements of making changes IN THE CURRENT TOPIC and not other thing we need. Because when last time i checked, the topic was about saving kakapos, and not education, cannibalism and the bible.

So why don't we continue the starting conversation instead of trailing down to every possible unwanted direction?

I would personally be interested what YOU did to make changes and what the areas/towns around provide to save some animals/the environment.

ConorHyena

road warrior
There's a rather sizeable National Park close to where I live - they're trying to recreate some of the old moors they used to have apparently. Also, as far as I've learned, they have wild cats there, but I haven't seen much.

I did help to pull down anti-chew netting during my first few weeks here.

Pygmepatl

~Cactus Fruit Loving Skunk~
My species of skunk, Spilogale pygmaea or Pygmy spotted skunk, which is endemic of Mexico, has been classified as a vulnerable species due to a 30% decrease in their population during the past three generations in 15 years. This due to the reduction of their habitat by human activity.

I really don't want to see them gone. And I hope something is done soon to save this beautiful species.

Last edited:

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Had to log in and leave the shadows once again to say. What the FUCK is wrong with you @Doomer
There have been some users over the years who seem to be here simply because no other community will have them. But by all means, let them continue. They only reinforce what I already suspect.

D

Deleted member 111470

Me: "What a nice thread, I bet it's gonna be furries getting together sharing some wholesome posts about helping animals"

Actual posts: "aminal is inferor lul"

Out of all the things in this fandom, this is something I didn't expect, to be honest. This community never fails to disappoint.

Joni

I'm a hot dog
There's a rather sizeable National Park close to where I live - they're trying to recreate some of the old moors they used to have apparently. Also, as far as I've learned, they have wild cats there, but I haven't seen much.

I did help to pull down anti-chew netting during my first few weeks here.
OwO yes right we have the national park here.

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
We just got wolves back to Denmark. This is considered a win for conservation. (Although the farmers disagree some..)

Night.Claw

Me: "What a nice thread, I bet it's gonna be furries getting together sharing some wholesome posts about helping animals"

Out of all the things in this fandom, this is something I didn't expect to be honest. This community never fails to disappoint.
Thankfully not for everyone.
We have a handful of people who actually can be counted on, to make some changes.
And the rest... >->
My best advice is to try to provide more, so the lazy/ignorant/egoist/self centered people don't need to take part in donating and making things better.

Kit H. Ruppell

Out of all the things in this fandom, this is something I didn't expect, to be honest. This community never fails to disappoint.
As long as arrogant, self-centered creation myths are tolerated, they will always be an obstacle to conservation and animal welfare.

Back on topic, does anyone here donate to Eco Defense Group? They are a counter-poaching organization that takes the fight directly to the source.

Last edited:

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
My species of skunk, Spilogale pygmaea or Pygmy spotted skunk, has been classified as a vulnerable species due to a 30% decrease in their population during the past three generations or 15 years. This due to the reduction of their habitat by human activity.
I hope that they can be saved, too.

Also, I guess as a little bit of a link to conservation here, I did recently see a couple of red kites in my local area. They really are beautiful birds, once the most persecuted in Britain. One of my favourite predatory birds. Kestrels and Sparrowhawks are in the top 3, too (though they aren't endangered).
Kite_1911736c.jpg

They introduced them to Yorkshire in around 2002, and a few other sites before that.
The population is now over the 2,000 mark, but they still need some more help for it to get higher.

@Skittles My brethren will hopefully thrive...though you may notice them wearing a lot of leather.

MetroFox2

Resident Stone Age Fox
If nobody minds, I will share some bigger UK charities if people want to throw their money at something. I will note, the RSPCA, as far as I know, is more geared towards domestic strays than conservation, but just as valuable. I'll also share FFI as they featured on the Yogscast Jingle Jam a few years back. I would also recommend Ferne Animal Sanctuary as they were the charity for 2019's Furcation.

I don't know if you can donate to them, but I'd recommend also looking-up two reintroduction efforts in the UK: The project to reintroduce the Wild Cat to Scotland, and the project to reintroduce the Pine Marten to Mid-Wales.

www.rspb.org.uk: The RSPB Wildlife Charity: Nature Reserves & Wildlife Conservation
www.rspca.org.uk: The Largest Animal Welfare Charity in the UK | RSPCA
www.fauna-flora.org: Fauna & Flora International

Thrashy

The Drunk Skunk. Metal and Beer. FckNzs.
We just got wolves back to Denmark. This is considered a win for conservation. (Although the farmers disagree some..)
Oh, that's similar to Switzerland then.
The wolves are slowly coming back. The same goes for Lynxes.
But plenty of mountain farmers want to shoot the wolves because they don't want to protect their sheep properly. That way more sheep die because they fall down cliffes is of course an ignored fact at these circles...

I think we now have like 70 known wolves here

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I hope that they can be saved, too.

Also, I guess as a little bit of a link to conservation here, I did recently see a couple of red kites in my local area. They really are beautiful birds, once the most persecuted in Britain. One of my favourite predatory birds. Kestrels and Sparrowhawks are in the top 3, too (though they aren't endangered).
Kite_1911736c.jpg

They introduced them to Yorkshire in around 2002, and a few other sites before that.
The population is now over the 2,000 mark, but they still need some more help for it to get higher.

I see a huge number of red kites here in the south. They're absolutely everywhere. I never used to see them in my childhood.

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
Oh, that's similar to Switzerland then.
The wolves are slowly coming back. The same goes for Lynxes.
But plenty of mountain farmers want to shoot the wolves because they don't want to protect their sheep properly. That way more sheep die because they fall dawn cliffes is of course an ignored fact at these circles...

I think we now have like 70 known wolves here

Same reasons. Farmers don't want their livestock munched. We have 10-20 I think

Kit H. Ruppell

Suppose both your kid and your dog is drowning, but you can save only one. Who will it be?
I'm not having kids, so obviously the dog. Of course, I might never get a dog either.