• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Conservation and Wildlife (Almost $100 already donated)

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
I'm not sure about it, but aren't the easiest way to protect livestock would be low voltage electrical fence?
I'm seeing it around here on some farms, but there are no large carnivores to treathen them, so i don't know how effective it is against them.

Hard to say. A determined hungry pack would probably find a way around.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
I see a huge number of red kites here in the south. They're absolutely everywhere. I never used to see them in my childhood.
I believe they must be thriving from the introduction to the Chilterns, long ago. Glad to hear they are absolutely everywhere, there.
The most I've seen at a time is 3, though they're usually on their lonesome.

Suppose both your kid and your dog is drowning, but you can save only one. Who will it be?
Ah, a great question and one that baits an obvious response. Clever move.
How about I match that with another question: If you don't care about this situation, why are you still posting?

You do realise you can't gain anything from this...and the Kakapos are getting fed from your ramblings, right?
There's two for you to think about. Now be on your way.

Thrashy

The Drunk Skunk. Metal and Beer. FckNzs.
I'm not sure about it, but aren't the easiest way to protect livestock would be low voltage electrical fence?
I'm seeing it around here on some farms, but there are no large carnivores to treathen them, so i don't know how effective it is against them.
Even that costs money. And they don't want to pay for that.
Also, some fields in high alpine areas might not be near an electrical source. I'm not sure if this is an argument for them though

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I believe they must be thriving from the introduction to the Chilterns, long ago. Glad to hear they are absolutely everywhere, there.
The most I've seen at a time is 3, though they're usually on their lonesome.

Ah, a great question and one that baits an obvious response. Clever move.
How about I match that with another question: If you don't care about this situation, why are you still posting?

You do realise you can't gain anything from this...and the Kakapos are getting fed from your ramblings, right?
There's two for you to think about. Now be on your way.

I've seen scores of Red Kites circling in Hampshire before.

I looked them up on wikipedia though and apparently while they've made an improvement in Britain they're still declining in continental Europe where most of them live.

Even that costs money. And they don't want to pay for that.
Also, some fields in high alpine areas might not be near an electrical source. I'm not sure if this is an argument for them though

I think in Sweden Farmers are reimbursed for livestock taken by wolves, maybe @quoting_mungo can confirm that. Still, Sweden's wolf population is only 200-300, which is actually not a very big number when you think about it.

Joni

I'm a hot dog
Suppose both your kid and your dog is drowning, but you can save only one. Who will it be?
If this supposed to be an an accurete analogy. You and your kid are at the beach watching the dog drowning. We humans have everything, only because of our own stupidity and a fucked up system, we have a huge gap between poor and rich. And now we're too stupid to keep our own planet in order.

MetroFox2

Resident Stone Age Fox

I looked them up on wikipedia though and apparently while they've made an improvement in Britain they're still declining in continental Europe where most of them live.

Birds of prey are neat, I've seen plenty nesting around the volunteer railway, it's a very good habitat for animals. Slow-moving vehicles, little human disturbance... Except when we occassionally come along and burn the overgrown vegetation, which trust me, there's loads of that shit.

I think I've seen a Red Kite once at the Gloucester & Warwickshire Steam Railway, very majestic birds.

ConorHyena

road warrior

This is a bit of an icky thing, and really can't be discussed in this thread - wolves and farmers have a problematic relationship, in adding to that, the wolf is not an endangered animal. I work with this in my day job - so if you want, PMs

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
That's not a good analogy. We don't have to choose between human existence and the existence of animals. With proper planning and environmental awareness we can continue the development of our civilization without all the wanton destruction of the past.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo

That's a definite shame. I hope that they can be as successful as they are here, someday.

They are going to be quite chonky borbs:D
Perhaps we can also get them some top hats and canes? Those would look very stylish.
Oh, and can't forget the monocle.

So after all a kid is more important. We don't have ultimate amount of money either, we have to choose between saving species or children.
INFINITE. Not ultimate.
Also, we don't have to choose anything. You just want people to choose one specific thing, cos you don't care about the other.
I ain't gonna make you care about conservation. I'd rather let you just get on with things and not bother those that do care about it.

You want to go out and help people in poverty? Go give them a warm blanket, some decent food and point them towards a shelter.
We all want to do that, too, so stop treating us like we're somehow lower than dirt.

Thrashy

The Drunk Skunk. Metal and Beer. FckNzs.
We don't have ultimate amount of money either, we have to choose between saving species or children.
Around 1% of humanity owns around 99% of the money.
Don't tell me, we don't have enough to do both.
The distribution just sucks.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
That's not a good analogy. We don't have to choose between human existence and the existence of animals. With proper planning and environmental awareness we can continue the development of our civilization without all the wanton destruction of the past.

The interests of future generations and natural ecosystems are also very much aligned, because we will rely on wild spaces to buffer some of the effects of climate change over the coming century.

The real choice we face is between greed and posterity, isn't it? Few nations in the world are currently meeting their commitments to posterity, but we're probably (hopefully?) going to live through that change.

Joni

I'm a hot dog
So after all a kid is more important. We don't have ultimate amount of money either, we have to choose between saving species or children.

F

foussiremix

Just gonna throw in here, every living creature has a right to exist so whats so bad about helping them cute kakapoos to survive?
I would surely spend half my monies to help most of the endangered species.

AND THATS THE TEA
PERIODT

I

Infrarednexus

3kqcky.jpg

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Preservation of species when necessary is good, but humans are superior in value and in worth.
There are around 7.8 billion people on earth right now.
Meanwhile there are less than 2000 black and white ruffed lemurs.
Less than 2500 ring-tailed lemurs (~90% of all 113 known lemur species are endangerd, many of them critically)
Less than 10.000 red pandas.

And those are just the species I support through conservation networks.
We are not superior. We are not worth more.
All living things are family. Except for humans. We are like that one disgusting uncle you are certain about that he raped one of your cousins when they were 4 years old.
We are filth. If anything, we need to prove that we actually do deserve to exist on this planet that we are slowly but surely killing.

Also yeah, I do support some conservation networks :) I make donations when I can and I make my photos available to them free of charge, they are using them on social media sites to raise awareness.

Doomer

Banned
Banned
Around 1% of humanity owns around 99% of the money.
Don't tell me, we don't have enough to do both.
The distribution just sucks.

Where do you think the rich keep their money? They have it invested in the economy, creating new value, jobs and higher life quality for everyone. You should be very thankful to rich people.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
My money's on the Victorian Gentleman.
Kakapo: "Engage in fisticuffs, you intolerable brute"
People Arguing: "Oh snap..."

Where do you think the rich keep their money? They have it invested in the economy, creating new value, jobs and higher life quality for everyone. You should be very thankful to rich people.
They have it...in a bank account.
They spend it on their luxury mansions, their multiple swimming pools, their Lamborghinis and their lady friends in skimpy bikinis.

I'm pretty darn sure they wouldn't even give you a second look, let alone any money at all to solve any problems you had.
But sure, keep on putting them up on a pedestal. Totally gonna help the situation.

Also, whilst you're at it, ask them to save the Kakapos, the Red Kites, the Mexican Wolves, the Pygmy Skunks, the Lemurs...and every other endangered species.
THEN, if they actually pull their finger out, I might start respecting them.
Until then, keep your useless rambling to yourself.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Oh, that's similar to Switzerland then.
The wolves are slowly coming back. The same goes for Lynxes.
But plenty of mountain farmers want to shoot the wolves because they don't want to protect their sheep properly. That way more sheep die because they fall down cliffes is of course an ignored fact at these circles...

I think we now have like 70 known wolves here
I've gotten into quite a few arguemente over this for some reason. Farmers' lives depends on their animals staying alive. If it meant I'd get more money to stay alive and feed my family, you bet I'd shoot wolves too. I don't care about, and I hate the word, what snowflakes think about me or someone else trying to make a living just because I hurt one of their precious animals. It's funny because most of the people hurt will turn around and eat a cheeseburger. Your animal hierarchy of which one's more important doesn't matter if it isn't endangered.