• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Considering Moving to a Small Town

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
... Forgot to add, completely aside from any "fandom absence problem" the place is just painfully boring. It has none of the advantages of a big city - that is, things going on, interesting places to go or events to attend - neither of a rural setting, that is, closeness to nature and not being surrounded by droves of people. It's very dull, no matter how I look at it.

Saokymo

Art Cookie
If you’re used to eating out a lot or hitting up bars & concerts every weekend for entertainment, then small towns will be very dull and frustrating. Special events tend to be few & far between, and much more “humble” than similar city happenings. The rest of the time you have to make your own entertainment, or keep yourself busy, or learn to appreciate the slow, quiet moments more for what they are.

MagnusLucra

Magnus Lucra - BUSINESS WOLF
... Forgot to add, completely aside from any "fandom absence problem" the place is just painfully boring. It has none of the advantages of a big city - that is, things going on, interesting places to go or events to attend - neither of a rural setting, that is, closeness to nature and not being surrounded by droves of people. It's very dull, no matter how I look at it.
Definitely a concern. I think I will miss people and partying the most. Gotta make friends at the local watering hole I guess. Maybe see if there's an ORV club.

If you’re used to eating out a lot or hitting up bars & concerts every weekend for entertainment, then small towns will be very dull and frustrating. Special events tend to be few & far between, and much more “humble” than similar city happenings. The rest of the time you have to make your own entertainment, or keep yourself busy, or learn to appreciate the slow, quiet moments more for what they are.
That was my weekend before 2020 xD But I've learned that I think I like staying home. I think it might be a good idea just to take a weekend trip into town every couple of months to let loose.

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
It's interesting what people consider a small town here.

I would have imagined a small town is smaller than about 2000 for example.
Yeah that's goddamn tiny. Like more comparable to a village.

As I said my town is around 14000. It's the largest in the area (I live in the second sparsest area of Scotland, after the Highlands), but it's still pretty small compared to most towns in the UK. The town I grew up in had 3x the population.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Yeah that's goddamn tiny. Like more comparable to a village.

As I said my town is around 14000. It's the largest in the area (I live in the second sparsest area of Scotland, after the Highlands), but it's still pretty small compared to most towns in the UK. The town I grew up in had 3x the population.

I grew up in a town that probably had 5000 people in it when I was born.

Since you mentioned Scotland, I worked with a man who grew up in a hamlet in Aberdeenshire, and when he went to live in Longyearbyen, Norway- population of only 2,300, it was the 'biggest city' he'd even lived in.

Saokymo

Art Cookie
It's interesting what people consider a small town here.

I would have imagined a small town is smaller than about 2000 for example.
I guess it’s all relative?

I currently live in a ~2,000 population town. The main city in our county has ~38,000 people; the entire county has about 136,000 total population... and yet we’re only a 1 1/2 hour drive (about 70 miles) away from the heart of Dallas.

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
This is my town
Watch your step if you come around
I don't think I know you
Well, maybe it's time to show you

This is my home
I'll be standing here alone
And if you're ready to see hell
Come on in and ring the bell

Hello Mr. Hill
Finally you got your hit
Coming from the nowheres
Lying across the clovers

Hello lady slick
Did you pull another trick?
Beautiful makeover
Make the perfect couple
Did you know things don't come easy
So

This is my town
I don't think I know you

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
I guess it’s all relative?

I currently live in a ~2,000 population town. The main city in our county has ~38,000 people; the entire county has about 136,000 total population... and yet we’re only a 1 1/2 hour drive (about 70 miles) away from the heart of Dallas.
Yeah that'll be why

I'm in the main settlement of mine (as I said, 14000 people). It's just we're pretty sparse. We've got a similar overall population.

My nearest city is the capital, Edinburgh, about an hour by car or train to the North. Other than that it's Newcastle-upon-Tyne over the border about 2 hours southeast.

For University I study in Liverpool, around 6 hours over the border southwest. The district my campus is in has more people than my entire hometown.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I've lived in places with a total population of ~1400 and everyone knew everything about me within a week from gossip alone.

Small is definitely relative!

Ive been livign in small towns all muy life out of necessity mostly. Except for a few times in my childhood i lived in a city or suburban sprawl.

If u move to a small town, expect not a welcomign environment. they are not very keen on weird lifestlyes or outsidwers who have different viewpoints. they will make their ideas very openly known ans they think the rest of those from urban areas are likely "not the real america". they MAY put up with you a little bit, but if you try and upset their little peckign order they wont forgive that!

I never liked the culture of small towns. on the surface they seem nice and city people, but again if they get to know you and they dont like who you are, they will get angry. I watched one incident where a group of furs did a fursuit parade in this oen small towen on oklahoma and they responsed with a group of guys in a pickup truck attackign the furry camp with paintball guns in the middle of the night. the police didnt do anythign about ti aside write up and incident report.

Taht being said i dotn know how to live in a city anymore. it may be mosre culturally tolerant and exciting but people there dont care for superficial pleasantries and I have no street smarts. Cities are also insane with their crowds and noise, pollution, chaos.. etc. In the country though things are more relaxed and quiet. and if your lucky and have a place to yourself..... you have lots of wide open areas on fields and forests and such with no one around that u can get up to furry fun in ^^ hiking a rarely used forest path in just my boots and socks and a pair of panties ;3 very liberating ^^

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
This is my town
I don't think I know you

This is my home
I'll be standing here alone
And if you're ready to see hell
Come on in and ring the bell

Hello Mr. Hill
Finally you got your hit