• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Constant Bad Dreams

Volkodav

Dad****er
I have been having constant bad dreams for the past week or two. Every night, bad dreams. Not a single good one or normal one.
They're very strange dreams and I don't remember a lot of them right now but I can remember two or three right now.

The first two have involved similar scenarios... with some adult man doing something... and I can remember in one dream it was a break & enter type deal. Anyways, they always turn out into a Stockholm Syndrome type deal involving that guy.

Numerous dreams I've had involve my dad killing himself and then me killing myself. I don't understand why i keep having these dreams.
I've googled them but they're no help. It's making me not even want to sleep.

what do you guys think? :( have you ever had dreams like that?

Riavis

I know going to a therapist won't really get anything accomplished. I've had the same recurring nightmare with slight variations ever since the 6th-7th grade (makes 9-10 years now), can't go more than 4 days without having it and I've had it a couple years in a row with no breaks before. It involves a lot of horrifically realistic gore and torture :/

Short episodes apparently have hope though. They'll tell you to do this technique where before you go to sleep you visualize the last time you had the dream and you imagine it with a better or completely different outcome. Supposed to do the same thing immediately after waking. This is *supposed* to eventually reconstruct and/or replace the dreams completely- but I call bullshit. Give it another week or so so nobody can refute it being truly recurring, then see somebody if you think this or similar techniques might eventually work.

Distorted

Well, I don't really know too much about dreams besides old superstitions my grandmother told me. According to her, if you dream about snakes then it means you have an enemy and if you see the color white it means protection. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. I have my fair share of strange dreams but I try not to dwell on them too much. Dreams are just....dreams. Although you could be dreaming about the future. In which case I would worry.

Ad Hoc

THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
So many in such a short time could be an indication that there's something stressing you out. I always get nightmare clusters around exams/lambing season and other stressful times. If you think there's any credence to that, you might be able to stop them through stress management. Fixing whatever it is that's freaking you out, or if that's not possible, stuff like meditation, exercise, etc.,

Some medications cause nightmares, too. Are you on any new meds?

Volkodav

Dad****er
I know going to a therapist won't really get anything accomplished. I've had the same recurring nightmare with slight variations ever since the 6th-7th grade (makes 9-10 years now), can't go more than 4 days without having it and I've had it a couple years in a row with no breaks before. It involves a lot of horrifically realistic gore and torture :/

Short episodes apparently have hope though. They'll tell you to do this technique where before you go to sleep you visualize the last time you had the dream and you imagine it with a better or completely different outcome. Supposed to do the same thing immediately after waking. This is *supposed* to eventually reconstruct and/or replace the dreams completely- but I call bullshit. Give it another week or so so nobody can refute it being truly recurring, then see somebody if you think this or similar techniques might eventually work.
I dunno. i will try that. I don't know if itll help but thank you!

Well, I don't really know too much about dreams besides old superstitions my grandmother told me. According to her, if you dream about snakes then it means you have an enemy and if you see the color white it means protection. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. I have my fair share of strange dreams but I try not to dwell on them too much. Dreams are just....dreams. Although you could be dreaming about the future. In which case I would worry.
dont say that :( mydad is always going on about leaving us soo idk
So many in such a short time could be an indication that there's something stressing you out. I always get nightmare clusters around exams/lambing season and other stressful times. If you think there's any credence to that, you might be able to stop them through stress management. Fixing whatever it is that's freaking you out, or if that's not possible, stuff like meditation, exercise, etc.,

Some medications cause nightmares, too. Are you on any new meds?
im not sure what isreally stressing me out though :(

no, no new meds.

FoxPhantom

Possible you are looking at something that can make something go into your conscious and see something different from what was seen before? (Remembering what you saw but in a dream).

Distorted

I'm sorry, I take it back. I shouldn't have said that. There is power in words so you have to be careful of what you say. I hope things look better for you.

Citrakayah

Rude Camera
Inception brother. Just buy an old Indian dream catcher or something. I used to have bad dreams almost every night when I was a kid, until my grandmother gave me one.

No more bad dreams after that, though I figure now that it was a placebo effect.

Last edited:

Riavis

Almost forgot about the stress bit. This is what I get for posting at almost 3am :p

More passed on therapist advice: think over the last few days. Has anything during your waking hours made you worried/scared/sad/mad or otherwise stressed to the point of a ( actual or borderline) panic attack? You'll feel a distinct tightening sensation in your chest that may be followed by rapid breathing. If so, whatever events that are causing these can start to affect your sleep if you fail to deal with the underlying problem.

Volkodav

Dad****er
I'm sorry, I take it back. I shouldn't have said that. There is power in words so you have to be careful of what you say. I hope things look better for you.
its alright

Inception brother. Just buy an old Indian dream catcher or something. I used to have bad dreams almost every night when I was a kid, until my grandmother gave me one.

No more bad dreams after that, though I figure now that it was a placebo effect.
ehh i dont believe in that stuff ]: I believe its a placebo

Almost forgot about the stress bit. This is what I get for posting at almost 3am :p

More passed on therapist advice: think over the last few days. Has anything during your waking hours made you worried/scared/sad/mad or otherwise stressed to the point of a ( actual or borderline) panic attack? You'll feel a distinct tightening sensation in your chest that may be followed by rapid breathing. If so, whatever events that are causing these can start to affect your sleep if you fail to deal with the underlying problem.
Yes
my cats having asthma attacks and my dad putting off giving me a ride to the vets 'cause he's lazy and doesn't believe me when I say I have $$ and will pay for it.
That was just over the past couple days though, not for weeks

Citrakayah

Rude Camera
ehh i dont believe in that stuff ]: I believe its a placebo
In reality, I would suggest writing down what all occurred in your dream immediately after you wake up, while the dream is still fresh in your mind. If it's just a couple of dreams repeating over and over again, you have to be able to realize that it's a dream and not reality.

FoxPhantom

what do you mean?

From what I was told before, sometimes during ones dream, you sorta see what you saw during that day, night, etc. One example is looking at one game for more then 6 hours or more per day, and when your asleep you might find what you saw earlier ( Yes I may be wrong, since it's different for someone else). It might even involve the current situation your in, or who knows what.

I guess Citrakayah answer might be a better answer then mine. :/

Riavis

Clayton;2742710 Yes my cats having asthma attacks and my dad putting off giving me a ride to the vets 'cause he's lazy and doesn't believe me when I say I have $$ and will pay for it. That was just over the past couple days though said:
A couple days will do it if you're bothered by it enough. If you decide that this is what's wrong you need to find acceptance or closure, basically a way to deal with it that'll put your mind at ease.

Ad Hoc

THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
im not sure what isreally stressing me out though :(

no, no new meds.
But you do feel stressed? Sometimes stress doesn't come from obvious places, it can even come from boredom.

Try googling "stress management" and see what you come up with, there are a lot of different techniques. Exercise, meditation, hobby work, socializing, that sort of a thing. See if it doesn't help after a few days.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Yeah I could see the cat thing being an issue. Also, wasn't your dad have employment issues within the past week or so? That's stressful.

Volkodav

Dad****er
In reality, I would suggest writing down what all occurred in your dream immediately after you wake up, while the dream is still fresh in your mind. If it's just a couple of dreams repeating over and over again, you have to be able to realize that it's a dream and not reality.
I will try doing this. maybe I can figure out patterns or whatever

From what I was told before, sometimes during ones dream, you sorta see what you saw during that day, night, etc. One example is looking at one game for more then 6 hours or more per day, and when your asleep you might find what you saw earlier ( Yes I may be wrong, since it's different for someone else). It might even involve the current situation your in, or who knows what.
maybe...

A couple days will do it if you're bothered by it enough. If you decide that this is what's wrong you need to find acceptance or closure, basically a way to deal with it that'll put your mind at ease.
I think so. I will see if I feel better after taking my babitas to the vets
It just stresses me out like you wouldn't believe when he sees my cats coughing and doesn't beleive me when I tell him its asthma.

But you do feel stressed? Sometimes stress doesn't come from obvious places, it can even come from boredom.

Try googling "stress management" and see what you come up with, there are a lot of different techniques. Exercise, meditation, hobby work, socializing, that sort of a thing. See if it doesn't help after a few days.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Yeah I could see the cat thing being an issue. Also, wasn't your dad have employment issues within the past week or so? That's stressful.

I always feel stressed

& yeah a couple weeks ago he was. Now he has the truck in his possession and has been going to work every day

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
I always have bad dreams, so I know it can suck. It'd be nice to get some quality fucking sleep once in a while.

Volkodav

Dad****er
had anoher nightmare last night, was about tow rite it down but forgot what it was about
I remember something about a party and drowning and sharks though

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
Some foods trigger nightmares and eating so many hours before bed can cause your brain and GI tract to battle in your sleep. Meditation is about all that has ever helped me that and watching what I eat and when I eat before bed.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
I have so many dreams about sharks.

I fucking hate sharks.

Should be gassed.
:'(

I guess I'm kinda lucky cause most of the time I don't dream, cause I fall into deep sleep so fast. Whenever I fall asleep it's like a lightbulb, click and out. The only real times when I dream is when I sleep in and are waking up.

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
Id rather have nightmares rather than the horrible night terrors I get. I feel being cut, or burned or that feeling that you are awake but your body is paralyzed. FUCK THAT

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
Id rather have nightmares rather than the horrible night terrors I get. I feel being cut, or burned or that feeling that you are awake but your body is paralyzed. FUCK THAT
I've had those before, what I've learned is that if you try and flail your muscles it sometimes causes you to move your body and shock yourself awake.
Problem: if you your husband is sleeping next to you may accidentally smack him in the face.