• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Content Creation as a Business [Business Nerds Unite!]

Do you have any favorite streamers? If so, what makes them your favorite?

• Yes! They talk about interesting topics

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Yes! I enjoy the vibe of their streams

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Yes and I think its because I enjoy their personality

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Yes but it's something not here. I'll tell you about it in the thread!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, watching streams is not my thing --But I'm still a business nerd.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
So! I am with a new group called the Fireside Cooperative, a bunch of artists coming together to build a community and share resources. I saw this vid during my breakfast and I shared it with them over at our server.

I wanted to share it here too since I was interested in hearing from a few business nerds here who create art on a regular schedule. What are your thoughts?

SLCMedia

Business Consulting for Fandom Artists
I'm a big proponent of streaming being basically a marketing tool for content creators, rather than relying on direct income from streaming as a regular income source. At high levels like where Ninja is, you can make a significant amount of money through streaming alone and off of deals like he made with Microsoft, but even he has sponsorships and makes money that way.

That said, the advice I give to my content creator friends who are serious about creating content as a moneymaking venture is to create a small business that makes money and use the content they create to advertise for that business, similarly to how MatPat has a sponsorship from Audible and integrates their advertising into his videos. For example: I host an anime podcast and I run an anime figure store, so I make sure to mention my anime figure store's website at the end of every episode of the podcast. That way I'm not beholden to anyone else in order to profit off of my content.

Artists have it even easier, since they're already in business if they're taking commisions. If an artist streams regularly on Picarto, or posts things like speedpaints to Youtube, they should make sure to deliberately mention that they take commissions and let people know where to find more info.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I'm a big proponent of streaming being basically a marketing tool for content creators, rather than relying on direct income from streaming as a regular income source. At high levels like where Ninja is, you can make a significant amount of money through streaming alone and off of deals like he made with Microsoft, but even he has sponsorships and makes money that way.

That said, the advice I give to my content creator friends who are serious about creating content as a moneymaking venture is to create a small business that makes money and use the content they create to advertise for that business, similarly to how MatPat has a sponsorship from Audible and integrates their advertising into his videos. For example: I host an anime podcast and I run an anime figure store, so I make sure to mention my anime figure store's website at the end of every episode of the podcast. That way I'm not beholden to anyone else in order to profit off of my content.

Artists have it even easier, since they're already in business if they're taking commisions. If an artist streams regularly on Picarto, or posts things like speedpaints to Youtube, they should make sure to deliberately mention that they take commissions and let people know where to find more info.
Yea, it's difficult to make buck on just *streaming* unless you're a big fish.

I like doing podcast style streams with friends. It gets me motivated. I was watching Ihasacupquake (another gamer/cosplay artist whose turned her thing into a small business) and I think I want to try doing podcast style streams by myself. She was talking about how she got more confident when she started streaming by herself.

Its really monopolizing on the same thing radioshow hosts used to a century ago. People want to have connections with other people. I think thats p rad and I want to try that with geeking out about my art.

SLCMedia

Yea, it's difficult to make buck on just *streaming* unless you're a big fish.

I like doing podcast style streams with friends. It gets me motivated. I was watching Ihasacupquake (another gamer/cosplay artist whose turned her thing into a small business) and I think I want to try doing podcast style streams by myself. She was talking about how she got more confident when she started streaming by herself.

Its really monopolizing on the same thing radioshow hosts used to a century ago. People want to have connections with other people. I think thats p rad and I want to try that with geeking out about my art.
That's actually a question I've had for a while: Where is the podcast for fandom artists? Not only could it be a good way for artists to network, get to know each other, and share techniques, it could be an excellent marketing opportunity.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
That's actually a question I've had for a while: Where is the podcast for fandom artists? Not only could it be a good way for artists to network, get to know each other, and share techniques, it could be an excellent marketing opportunity.
What would a podcast for commission artists look like~?

SLCMedia

What would a podcast for commission artists look like~?
I'd imagine it'd be something like the Chase Jarvis Show, the Tim Ferriss Show, the Jordan Harbinger Show, the James Altucher Show (I listen to a lot of business podcasts, if you can't tell) or any of these other big podcasts where it's somewhere between an interview and a conversation between the host and the guest, with a focus on telling the guest's story, their successes and failures, their techniques and habits, etc.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I'd imagine it'd be something like the Chase Jarvis Show, the Tim Ferriss Show, the Jordan Harbinger Show, the James Altucher Show (I listen to a lot of business podcasts, if you can't tell) or any of these other big podcasts where it's somewhere between an interview and a conversation between the host and the guest, with a focus on telling the guest's story, their successes and failures, their techniques and habits, etc.
Thats an idea~. I do want to make more artist friends and geek out about art things.
I was also thinking about the possibility of just having an OC geeking session, since I think thats a fascinating part of fandoms. - Looking at aspects of character creating, world building, and quirky trends of those things in fandoms.