• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Convicted deer poacher ordered to watch Bambi.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Forcing criminals to watch good cartoons, sinister indeed :(

Yakamaru

Mr. Villanous charm
Maaan. We need to start getting more creative when it comes to punishments as opposed to just sending people to jail.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Maaan. We need to start getting more creative when it comes to punishments as opposed to just sending people to jail.
Like forcing them to watch good movies? :(

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I read this on the BBC this morning before I started work.

Unusual!

He is being sent to prison. He's just *also* required to watch bambi at least once a month.

Inpw

Roller Coaster Imagineer.
What will happen if you force a person to watch Watership Down over and over?

I

Infrarednexus

If I get caught littering, can I be forced to watch Wall-E?
confusedparrot.gif

killercuckquean

reminds me of the story out of Argentina (if not there somewhere in SA) where a couple who kept using their children as weapons during the divorce got ordered to read The Little Prince so they could learn to actually have some respect for their kids. not sure if it's legit, though.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
While this is funny, I would've sentenced him to watch a diverse mix of nature- and conservation-related movies, including Bambi. If I were the judge, my intention would be to actually provide him food for reformation, and not just annoy the shit out of him for shits and giggles.

So, I'd give him a video library consisting of movies like Bambi, Ferngully, Once Upon a Forest, the first season of Animals of Farthing Wood, the Silverwing TV series, Watership Down, the Lion King, Lady and the Tramp, Chicken Run, Charlotte's Web, Rio, Happy Feet, Plague Dogs, Pom Poko, Brother Bear, Wall-E, The Dam Keeper, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, David Attenborough documentaries, PBS/Nova documentaries, Baraka, Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, 12 Monkeys, Brazil, Gorillas in the Mist, The Cove, Okja, Babe, Babe 2, Free Willy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Jurassic Park, and let him choose at least one movie a week. He'd also have to watch every film in the library before being allowed any repeat viewings of anything.

I fear that by the time he gets out, he'll be so resentful and bitter at having been forced to watch Bambi at least 12 times that he'll have even more contempt for nature and living things than he had going in.

Last edited:

Yakamaru

Mr. Villanous charm
Z

ZeroVoidTime

I fear that by the time he gets out, he'll be so resentful and bitter at having been forced to watch Bambi at least 12 times that he'll have even more contempt for nature and living things than he had going in.
So in other words we would be creating a Captain Planet card carrying villain with a Freudian excuse.......... THE HORROR OF IT ALLL!!!!!!!!!

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
So, thinking about it, here's what I'd do if I were the judge:

I'd lay down the maximum allowed prison time sentence, and then I'd offer something along the lines of the following deal:
  • For every film or TV series you watch in an approved library, I'll reduce your sentence by the runtime of that film or series.
  • For every book you read in an approved library, I'll reduce your sentence by 1 week per 50 pages.
  • For every hour you volunteer with an approved animal- or conservation-related charity or organization, I'll reduce your sentence by the amount of your documented volunteer time.
In this way, the guy gets to choose whether he just rots in prison or does something meaningful with his time, and the fact that he gets to choose hopefully means he'll be more receptive to what those movies, TV shows, books, and volunteer experiences potentially have to teach him.

Punishments that involve humiliation, degradation, and trolling are deeply satisfying for the rest of us, and are often perfectly fine when you're dealing with unrepentant total pieces of shit. They can also seriously backfire, and ultimately fail to impart the desired lesson--so, if you're dealing with someone who is theoretically capable of change and growth, you have to turn your eye towards rehabilitation and reformation, in my view.