• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Cooking Thread

Xtatica

Xtatica
I made gluten free banana bread the other night for my gaming group. Between the seven of us, we devoured three whole loaves.

Hjoldir-Hildwulf

One day, yes one day! Mwhahaa!
Made some nice fudge t'other day. Didn't last long...

Zan'theros

Fiery Wanderer
LOL at "Magic Chef" in the background!
You didn't bake that! You enchanted the utensils so they could make it for you!

I'm a horrible cook, but I know how to make one badass omelette. I use some beef and picante sauce, along with a variety of cheeses and some mixed greens, onions, and tomatoes (and sometimes, a dash of chopped peppers). Basically, I make a breakfast taco of sorts.

sniperfreak223

More Metal Than You !!!
"Magic Chef" is just the crappy 1980's brand name for my crappy 1980's electric stove :(

I'd make another, but I drank the last of my Kirsch...stuff's freakin' delicious.

Theralth

Draggy
Oh, where to even start... I grew up with watching my mother cook, and when I finally could handle pots and pans, I started to help my brother with his catering service. I've also studied cooking, so, quite the history, in short form there.

As for what I like to make, just yesterday I put some mead to brew for the worker's day here in Finland, and my birthday is also getting closer, so I'll probably end up making a customary Schwarzwald cake, I really enjoy the combination of cherry and chocolate, moistened with a dab of rum of course!
All in all, recently I've spent a lot of my time making cakes for my brother's catering service, cake dragon my friends call me, heh.

But, one cannot live on cake alone, though some may disagree, a personal favorite dish of mine is just a simple pasta marinara, this is something that I can consume in zounds, and I also like to make lasagna, and macaroni casserole.
Back to sweet things, I also should make some brownies for my sister's birthday, which is actually nearer than my own in June, she absolutely loves those with coffee!

Greatodyer

Loveable Pony
I freaking love cooking. I'm one of those guys who will 'experiment' cook - I just look at stuff in the cupboard and think 'Hmm, that'll work.'

I'll share with you something I did the other day. A recipe for Sweet and Sticky Chicken.

500g Chicken Breast
1 inch piece of Ginger
2 Cloves of Garlic
2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons of Tomato Sauce (Ketchup)
1 Tablespoon of Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 Tablespoon on Oil

Grate the ginger and crush the garlic into a large bowl. Mix in the soy sauce, tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce and oil. Mix thoroughly. Cut up your chicken breast into chunks and place in the marinade. Mix the chicken so that it is all covered. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for about 4 hours - the longer you leave it, the better it will be.

After waiting, pour the contents into a hot pan and fry until golden brown. When the pan starts to become dry, add a splash of water to caramelise the marinade. Serve with rice of noodles.

Seriously guys...pure ecstacy :p

DreamGraffiti

With Tiny Boots
I can bake a Lichtenstein Cake. Simple, easy, and efficient for happy friends.

Last edited:

Tremodo

When you boil raw chicken, it sort of spews this white stuff, like a gunk or a paste. I've been told for years it's toxic, and evil and all kinds of bad.

Please someone tell me that's an exaggeration, and it's only something harmless like fat.

Although... if it's fat it won't change much because I'll still make the effort to extract it as much as possible.

It is SO annoying to remove, not to mention kind of pointless, when you start cooking for real I'll just keeps coming anyway.

PicoPicaza

All grins
I love cooking when I have the energy! My specialty is home made bread, japanese rice balls, korean seasoned tofu and healthy meals. I cant cook meat well. Maybe next time I make skmething lovely, I'll post? maybe... :razz:
I don't cook often since I don't want to eat it all. mainly I steam a bunch of veggies and eat it on top of prepared grain or lentils because im too lazy to cook myself anything more complicated.

I know I'm something close to two whole months late to the party but I need to ask. What on earth do you do with your lentils? I can't make them not super bland.

When you boil raw chicken, it sort of spews this white stuff, like a gunk or a paste. I've been told for years it's toxic, and evil and all kinds of bad.

Please someone tell me that's an exaggeration, and it's only something harmless like fat.

Although... if it's fat it won't change much because I'll still make the effort to extract it as much as possible.

It is SO annoying to remove, not to mention kind of pointless, when you start cooking for real I'll just keeps coming anyway.

That is protein that leaks from the chicken as you cook it

Tremodo

HOLY COW.

So when my mom taught me how to cook, she taught me to take away the GOOD stuff more than 10 years?.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Thanks for the info, thank you very much.

Update.

After your initial info, I kept digging. Turns out it is safe to eat, but it's not just protein, it's lipoprotein. So it's mixed with some fat. This is quite a relief, when cooking I will not go overboard getting rid of it, but I will take a away some of it.

I want as much protein as possible, but not if it carries fat, LOL. I will leave some of if because in the end you do need to meet a minimum of Kcal a day.

Some days I just don't think I even make it to 600 Kcal. I have read that it is bad.

Then I saw a show to help people lose weight and they were wearing these "crash diet dummies", I got in late so I don't know if they are dummies because they crash diet or because they don't.

Last edited:

quai

~Quai
Today I made an egg sandwich. I cooked the egg in cumin and red pepper and fried up bologna with garlic powder. Kale fried with the leftover olive oil with cheddar, mayonnaise and butter on toast. I mouth-gasm'd.

Buxly

Im not really that good at making regular meals and dinners. But I actually have a great talent with baking and I love to make cakes and pastrys whenever im bored :)

Kit411230

I've been told that I'm a pretty able chef when I have got the motivation, I've tried broadening my horizons by making my own burgers for camping last weekend, red onion, mushroom & stuffed with monetary jack, delish! I've dabbled in deserts too, cheese cake an lemon tarts. My sister bought me some bread making stuff, can't wait to have a go at my own tiger bread! But I still think I'm weird because I learned how to make lasagne before I knew how to boil an egg.

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
so I realize it's two months old now, but boiling raw chicken dear god why

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
Boiled chicken is delicious if you boil it in the right sauce/liquid. Boiling it in pato sauce makes for amazing chicken taco meat.

Carnau

Ice cream is the only way
I made coconut pancakes for the first time today and it was godly.
Just make the batter like how you'd make regular pancakes, but put;

4 tablespoons of shredded coconut
half teaspoon vanilla
half teaspoon coconut extract

then stir till blended and slap it on the frying pan. omg soguud.

Lobar

It's called poaching. Poached chicken is used in lots of recipes, from chicken salad to chicken tacos. I promise you it's not as gross as it sounds.

Boiled chicken is delicious if you boil it in the right sauce/liquid. Boiling it in pato sauce makes for amazing chicken taco meat.

Poaching and braising are not the same as boiling, which is a great way to suck all the flavor out of the actual chicken and into the water. Or in other words, a terrible idea.

Casual Cat

Poaching and braising are not the same as boiling, which is a great way to suck all the flavor out of the actual chicken and into the water. Or in other words, a terrible idea.

I'm confused, then. What's the difference between poaching and boiling?

McNab

I work in a Gourmet Chocolate Shop as a Assistant Chocolateer. We make 39 different kinds of Chocolates by hand as our standard stock from bars to Truffles. During the Holidays we make upwards to 56 different kinds from Standard Bonbons to 5 LB chocolate Christmas trees. on average we make some 7000 chocolates per day and each chocolate take about three days to make. and when i say we, i mean, me and the main dude. its very fun but my passion is in Confections.

Last edited:

Casual Cat

Pastry and confectionary science is some next level shit. How did you get a job as a chocolatier? Did you go to culinary school? Or were you mostly just trained on the job.

Lobar

I'm confused, then. What's the difference between poaching and boiling?

Just the temperature, really. Poaching is colder than a simmer, usually around 170°F/75°C. You can also shallow poach, which is like a low-temp braise then.

Boiling is done at the boiling point, obviously, and will make chicken tougher, drier, and less flavorful than poaching would.

McNab

Pastry and confectionary science is some next level shit. How did you get a job as a chocolatier? Did you go to culinary school? Or were you mostly just trained on the job.

I started by Making old school confections in my kitchen. it all began when i bought a fifty pound bag of sugar from a house sale. the occupent had passed on and he was one of those people who was preparing for the end of the world so he had alot of food stocked up. fifty pounds for 99 cents. when i got home i realized i had just bought a fifty pound bag of sugar with nothing to do with it. it sat in my pantry for a few weeks till i found a recipy for candy in an antique shop. so i made it. it wasn't good but i kept trying.

after that I would go to antique shops and find old recipes that had been handed down for generations. one of those came from China and, through research, was over 2000 years old called Dragons Beard Candy. its like course cotton candy made from rice Malt and rice flour, with roasted nut past in the middle. very labor intensive. I continued to experiment with trial and error with everything from candy canes to Jelly Beans, Tukish delights to Lollipops. Research, Research, research. and write everything down.

After I dropped out of Culinary school, because they didnt teach this stuff, I found a gourmet french Chocolate shop in the town over. Id never worked with Chocolate before but the skills i had developed with confections was a skill set my employer did not have so he hired me on for free for 6 months. after those six months i offered to continue to work for free for another six months just to learn, I wanted to learn. I continued till i had grasped enough about it that he decided to pay me. I've been there for 2 and a 1/2 years and i love it. I know enough about Chocolate and confections to coach others but not enough to actually run a shop on my own... not yet at least. its fun. its... a science while confections is chemistry.

Last edited: