• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Cool extinct lads

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Attaman's pointing out something interesting here that's true across the tree of life in general.

Often relatively depauperate groups of organisms today that are conservative in their ecology, like crocodiles, are the last surviving representatives of groups that were much more diverse in the past.

The_biscuits_532

Scary Ancient Wombat
Attaman's pointing out something interesting here that's true across the tree of life in general.

Often relatively depauperate groups of organisms today that are conservative in their ecology, like crocodiles, are the last surviving representatives of groups that were much more diverse in the past.
From what I remember, Crocodilians are also closer to birds than other Reptiles.

Glossolalia

just happy to be here
2a62ef4a6d195fb609c43d6f43417b0c.jpg

I'm always blown away when I think about how aquatic mammals evolved. it's like their ancestors left the ocean, changed their mind, and walked right back in

Fallowfox

That is quite possibly the most bizarre dinosaur face I've ever seen.

I think this is a type of therapsid. It's the first version of mammals nobody liked- so nature was sent away to have another go at it.

Fallowfox

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

sleepy kitty

*°•frisky feline•°*
The Carolina Parakeet. Once ranged from New York to the Gulf of Mexico and as far west to Colorado. The last known specimen died at the Cincinnati Zoo in 1918.

.View attachment 101142
I learned about this parrot years ago in History class. So heartbreaking that fashion meant more to people than this beautiful creature's presence on the Earth...

(Edit: for folks who don't know, they were driven to extinction because their feathers were used for hats)

Xitheon

I may be mad but I'm perfectly good at it.
I learned about this parrot years ago in History class. So heartbreaking that fashion meant more to people than this beautiful creature's presence on the Earth...

(Edit: for folks who don't know, they were driven to extinction because their feathers were used for hats)

I was going to say that they were the only native North American parrot, but I did a quick fact check and apparently this handsome boi (thankfully still alive) shares that honour:

Parrot are awesome.

The Spix's macaw was declared extinct in the wild in the year 2000 and only 160 or so remain in captivity.

They were the inspiration for the movies Rio and Rio 2.

FayeBunny

Thylacoleo, the "marsupial lion" was not actually related to lions, but but sort of looks as if it were, if you ignore those really weird teeth. They were similar to thylacines, in terms of being predatory marsupials, but I have no idea if they were closely related. Thylacoleo went extinct long before thylacine did, but still existed at the same time as humans. Climate change is the primary reason believed to have caused their extinction.