• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Cool extinct lads

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
65212D78-26F6-4095-ABC3-5DF4537D1A5E.jpeg

This is Sinosauropteryx, the first non-avian dinosaur ever discovered with feathers (unless you count Archaeopteryx). Like with Anchiornis, we know its exact life appearance!
6094D245-EE2E-4731-A5FC-52D220A294C9.jpeg

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
Eurypterids, AKA sea scorpions, could grow to astounding sizes, making them the biggest arthropods known to have existed. Considering they’re a sister group to arachnids, I understand why some people might be terrified at the sight of this.
ECC7C536-8EFE-490C-8D66-24065A486AE1.png

Contrary to their name, they weren’t scorpions, and not all of them lived exclusively in the sea.

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
Getting late over here, so one more post for tonight. Here’s just a friendly reminder that we live in a world where a dinosaur was given the name “Thanos”. Yes, that is its actual real scientific name. And it’s only known from a single vertebra.

It belonged to a family called the abelisaurids, which had very, very short arms that were more or less completely useless. So, unfortunately, this Thanos couldn’t wear the Infinity Gauntlet, let alone even snap his fingers :(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanos_simonattoi

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
Thought I might add this tidbit about a new species of Kunpengopterus that was announced a few days ago. This is a pterosaur with opposable thumbs! So, if you ever needed a reference for anthro pterosaurs...this is it!

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
I really like Yutyrannus. It’s the largest dinosaur known to have feathers, and was a distant relative of T. rex. Although...there were definitely even larger feathered theropods than it!
BA0C4010-044A-4782-8C3B-3B729B17CF1F.png

This is my interpretation of Deinocheirus from a few months ago. For over half a decade, all that was known of this dinosaur were two massive arms. It was only in 2014 that we could aggregate enough material to build a better picture of what it might have looked like. It was freaking massive...around eleven metres long, I think. What’s interesting is that some of its tailbones were fused together, as seen in modern birds, which could mean that it had feathers. I was a little conservative with the feather covering here though, as its large size meant that it could regulate its heat without the need for more complex integumentary structures.
5E6B7575-E0EA-477B-9006-7A5FA808BD1F.jpeg