• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

COPPA and youtube`s new TOS Going To DESTROY the furry side of youtube

volkinaxe

i am now on https://www.anthrodex.com
here is some info on it
as fursuit`s look`s like they made for kid`s what will this mean for all furry youtube
channel`s

Last edited:

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I think the idea is that machine learning tools will seek out content that creators incorrectly declared as suitable for children, and remove it from watch-lists recommended to children. (for example those videos in which peppa pig gets killed, or toy videos which are illegally used to collect information on children's social media habits)

So the people who would actually be affected are creators who produce content for children, but experience incorrect flagging of their videos as not child suitable- rather than furries.

Overall it's extremely positive that Youtube has decided not to place comments and personalised adverts on children's content, because those decisions had exposed children to horrible paedophillic commentary by adults and the collection of data about children's consumption was already illegal. I feel it's possibly too little too late though, and the fact they are *only just introducing these labels* shows that they just didn't care about breaking the law until the consequences came and bit them in the arse.

volkinaxe

I think the idea is that machine learning tools will seek out content that creators incorrectly declared as suitable for children, and remove it from watch-lists recommended to children. (for example those videos in which peppa pig gets killed, or toy videos which are illegally used to collect information on children's social media habits)

So the people who would actually be affected are creators who produce content for children, but experience incorrect flagging of their videos as not child suitable- rather than furries.

Overall it's extremely positive that Youtube has decided not to place comments and personalised adverts on children's content, because those decisions had exposed children to horrible paedophillic commentary by adults and the collection of data about children's consumption was already illegal. I feel it's possibly too little too late though, and the fact they are *only just introducing these labels* shows that they just didn't care about breaking the law until the consequences came and bit them in the arse.
we all need to keep eyes on this

D

Deleted member 111470

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I am all for these changes.

Joni

I'm a hot dog
here is some info on it
as fursuit`s look`s like they made for kid`s what will this mean for all furry youtube
channel`s
Isn't this this thing where you select manually if your content is for kids? (I can't watch the video rn because of limited internet)

Fallowfox

Isn't this this thing where you select manually if your content is for kids? (I can't watch the video rn because of limited internet)

Yes people manually select, but machine learning tools will also be used to spot when people are using the wrong ratings. I expect because a lot of people who uploaded youtube videos 10 years ago aren't going to log in to label them as kid friendly or not.

and I imagine Volkinaxe is worried that those scripts will be zealous.

Joni

I'm a hot dog
Yes people manually select, but machine learning tools will also be used to spot when people are using the wrong ratings. I expect because a lot of people who uploaded youtube videos 10 years ago aren't going to log in to label them as kid friendly or not.

and I imagine Volkinaxe is worried that those scripts will be zealous.
Hmm thats problematic that's right. But how do they want to spot this? I mean in general. Also furry is very controversal and genally seen as the opposite of kids friendly:rolleyes:

Fallowfox

Hmm thats problematic that's right. But how do they want to spot this? I mean in general. Also furry is very controversal and genally seen as the opposite of kids friendly:rolleyes:

Yes I suspect furry content would be more likely to be consistently marked as not targeted at children, because the meta data would be frequently associated with lgbt themes.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Honestly? I set my channel (at the channel level, not per-video) as specifically NOT "made for kids" because my main focus is video games and enough of the video games I've played for the channel over the past 10 years are pretty violent. (You're talking to a guy who played the original Doom when he was 8; I KINDA don't want kids to experience nightmares or wind up too quickly jaded about violence like I did.)

If machine learning tools and scripts are involved, I'll admit I'm very concerned YouTube won't respect that setting if I just happen to play a kid-friendly game and act civil on one particular day. My commenters are civil for now, but I never expect that to last.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
I can see multiple ways of this backfiring.

Time to pop a bottle of spirits and watch it all burn down.

I mean, it's all burnt as it is. Charcoal still burns though.

I'll bring the weenies.

volkinaxe

...I think most butts do look good though.
yes.PNG
lol

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
It gets more problematic:
Even content that's not specifically intended for children (but isn't specifically age-locked) will have to be marked that way since the FTC is expected to consider stuff that children may watch to be child-targeted anyway and in violation of the law if not tagged as such.

11/25/19 Video update here:

---PCJ

Last edited:

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
It gets more problematic:
Even content that's not specifically intended for children (but isn't specifically age-locked) will have to be marked that way since the FTC is expected to consider stuff that children may watch to be child-targeted anyway and in violation of the law if not tagged as such.

---PCJ
So, basically, everything except for mature content will lose comments and stuff?

Fallowfox

So, basically, everything except for mature content will lose comments and stuff?

No. Youtubers are just capitalising on creating videos that panicking people will watch.

Youtube is not allowed to track the viewing histories of children in order to target adverts at them. They had been doing this on a massive scale, so they've been fined and told to stop.
If a video draws an audience that is mostly children, then Youtube would be clearly breaking that law- so although somebody might upload a toy review with the intention that it is for adults to watch, it may well end up drawing a large child audience- and then Youtube would be breaking the law if it allowed targeted advertising on that video.

An alternative solution would be to ask users to opt-in to targeted advertisement and the ability to view comments- but Youtube has probably calculated that the solution they're going with is better for their bottom-line.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
So if I'm understanding this correctly, if Youtube thinks your content is for children, even if its not, it'll mark it as such? Am I understanding this correctly? Because that's....extremely discomforting. Algorithms determining these things guarantees mistakes.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer

OMG! That would be a huge improvement: YouTube without the comments. This way I wouldn't even be tempted to peek in that dark quagmire. So far this is looking pretty good; one could always comment on a site linked to said YouTube videos. To have the comments out of sight and out of mind would be delightful.

P

Purplefuzz

OMG! That would be a huge improvement: YouTube without the comments. This way I wouldn't even be tempted to peek in that dark quagmire. So far this is looking pretty good; one could always comment on a site linked to said YouTube videos. To have the comments out of sight and out of mind would be delightful.

Same 99% of the comments are always worthless.

Fallowfox

What people are getting from this story is 'oh no what if one of my videos is labelled incorrectly?'

What they should be getting from this story is that Youtube has literally been breaking the law for years by collecting information about children.

You should care like, a thousand times more about that.