• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Copyright disclaimer

Rap Daniel

Clever dino wizard boi
Banned
I'm writing a dictionary of Harry Potter words, and attached is a snip of the copyright disclaimer. Did I do it right?

Attachments

• Harry Potter copyright notice.PNG
    Harry Potter copyright notice.PNG
    52 KB · Views: 38

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Fan works can technically be bought and sold, but they must declare that they are unofficial works.
Depends on where you are though, I suppose.

zidders

My advice is before you get to work on something like a Harry Potter dictionary because many specific words and place-names used in the series are trademark J.K. Rowling you should consult a lawyer who specializes in copyright before considering your work protected by copyright.

F

FrostHeart

Fan works can technically be bought and sold, but they must declare that they are unofficial works.
Depends on where you are though, I suppose.
Maybe call the author, and request permission... make sure to record the call in case he changes his mind afterwards. :3

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Maybe call the author, and request permission... make sure to record the call in case he changes his mind afterwards. :3
In the case of J.K. Rowling you would need to call her publishing companies legal representatives.
Suppose that's the safer path.
It's not uncommon for people to get upset for legal fair use and file slapp suits against people.

I mean Nintendo does this all the time and only do so because they can draw out the process so hard, it keeps people who don't have that much money to fight back, even if they'd win.

Unless you have a very deep pocket, I guess it'd be best to change it just enough to where nothing is identifiable with the source you draw inspiration from.

Not the answer I'd like to give, but it's the pragmatic one.