• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Could Ghosts and such be real? Debate/Theories

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Yes, I do believe many stories are made up, but no, I don't believe he just came up with that one for attention.

I think that it's safe to say it's 50/50, like any "spiritual" belief (though I use that term loosely here).
I don't think Fallow was meaning that every single person (in this case, "religious" person) who claims to have a story is a liar.
Rather, it's most common to see liars when they have something to gain, and often that tends to go hand in hand with groups that go off of blind belief to determine faith.

I'm sure your ex was telling the truth based on your account, but that doesn't mean someone else was as well. In the end, the reason these sorts of things are so intriguing to us as people is because there's no surefire way to say who is right/wrong. It's entirely based on personal account and retelling, and in a day and age where science reigns supreme, having something still ultimately in the unknown, is entirely appealing to a mass amount of people. Whether they believe in it or not, ghost stories are fun. So of course people would strive to make them up as time goes on. I'm rambling a bit, but I think that's what Fallow might've been trying to say.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

MiwaKitsune

Purple fox with healing magic
I think that it's safe to say it's 50/50, like any "spiritual" belief (though I use that term loosely here).
I don't think Fallow was meaning that every single person (in this case, "religious" person) who claims to have a story is a liar.
Rather, it's most common to see liars when they have something to gain, and often that tends to go hand in hand with groups that go off of blind belief to determine faith.

I'm sure your ex was telling the truth based on your account, but that doesn't mean someone else was as well. In the end, the reason these sorts of things are so intriguing to us as people is because there's no surefire way to say who is right/wrong. It's entirely based on personal account and retelling, and in a day and age where science reigns supreme, having something still ultimately in the unknown, is entirely appealing to a mass amount of people. Whether they believe in it or not, ghost stories are fun. So of course people would strive to make them up as time goes on. I'm rambling a bit, but I think that's what Fallow might've been trying to say.

Correct me if I'm wrong?
No yeah that's pretty much what I was saying. I don't know what to think about these stories personally because I have no personal experience. But I also know my ex had nothing to gain by telling those stories between him and his sister. I do believe that he saw something, whether that be a dream he had that was almost real or what ever happened but I don't believe every story ever just because a religious person tells it. That doesn't make any sense

Amepix Will Win

Some Furry Artist
Oh crap! I just remembered another paranormal encounter in my home! I was way younger than I was then in my other story, so that's why I didn't really remember it at the moment.

Now, this takes place in the basement. And I know, oh it's the basement, typical horror setting, I know, but this is just where it happened, alright? So I dropped my ball as it bounced down the staircase and into the darkness below. So, I went down to get it. You wanna know what I saw? A damn shadow person! I'm not sure if it's the same one who was in my bedroom that one night, but I wouldn't be surprised. I ran up the stairs without the ball just balling my eyes out. I didn't go back into the basement for a long time after that. What freaks me out is I went down at the exact same time frame with the light off to see if it was a trick of the light, but there was no shadow person, and nothing was moved as there isn't anything down there worth moving anyway.

I know some people probably don't believe me, and that's alright. Not everyone believes in ghosts and such, but with the experiences I've had, I'm open to the idea.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Honestly the only "ghost stories" I have worth sharing are the ones I had when I was either lucid dreaming or, when I was a really young child on medication that was too strong for me. It caused an interesting side effect that involved seeing "shadow people" (often during or after waking up from sleep paralysis). But that stuff was obviously psychological over paranormal, so I don't think they count here.

RamblingRenegade

Just a Horse Trying to Avoid Life's Manure
I forgot about this thread, I've been called a sensitive, I don't fall for all that but I have seen multiple apparitions in person. I grew up in a house that had a Poltergeist, I saw and heard things that nobody should have to deal with. We did contact a well known show once and they said Poltergeists are not their specialty good luck with that basically. I had someone interview me once to put my family story in a published book, but isn't out yet. I was clean and sober and not on any drugs. I have EVP's 35mm camera pictures etc in a box in storage from when I put up my own investigation in the house in the late 90's

Vino The Strange-One

I forgot about this thread, I've been called a sensitive, I don't fall for all that but I have seen multiple apparitions in person. I grew up in a house that had a Poltergeist, I saw and heard things that nobody should have to deal with. We did contact a well known show once and they said Poltergeists are not their specialty good luck with that basically. I had someone interview me once to put my family story in a published book, but isn't out yet. I was clean and sober and not on any drugs. I have EVP's 35mm camera pictures etc in a box in storage from when I put up my own investigation in the house in the late 90's
Oh~ Ghost breaking the laws of physics!

That should become a traumatic experience if I saw it with my own two eyes.

Woozle

Honey, you should see me in a crown.
There are things that science has yet to explain. "Ghosts" may be phenomena that exist but to assume anything about what they are and what they represent (the souls of the dead and such) is foolish without concrete evidence. The human imagination is extraordinary and I'm guessing that most encounters with ghosts and spirits could be explained as manifestations of the minds of those who report them.

Basically, IMHO, ghosts may exist but they probably are not what we choose to believe that they are.

D

Deleted member 160111

I remembered a funny thing. It was common before, but some still believe in the spirit-brownie. If you began to lose things, you need to say "Brownie, play and give it back", cook buckwheat for him and pour milk. Buckwheat and milk should be put on a refrigerator or a high shelf so that the spirit is more comfortable. If there is less buckwheat the next day or later, it means that the spirit-brownie has eaten and your things will soon be found.

Vanessa Howl

Damsel Of Darkness
I have a question. What is the difference between a 'ghost' and a 'spirit'?
A ghost is the spirit of someone who died while a spirit is someone who was always a spirit to begin with such as the dijin (genies) who are a race of spirits created from the tip of fire and are invisible to humans but exist within their own societies, have their own religious beliefs, eat food and mate to reproduce just like live humans do.

Vino The Strange-One

A ghost is the spirit of someone who died while a spirit is someone who was always a spirit to begin with such as the dijin (genies) who are a race of spirits created from the tip of fire and are invisible to humans but exist within their own societies, have their own religious beliefs, eat food and mate to reproduce just like live humans do.
This answer is really satisfying for me.

Thank you for showing me your wisdom O'Great Vannesa Howl!

Faustus

Could ghosts exist? Yes. DO ghosts exist? Probably not.

Do ghosts appear on TV paranormal shows? No. Only actors who are bad at pretending to be scared, and the occasional out-of-focus leaf.

There was an old Indie tabletop RPG I've got around the place somewhere called 'Dude, Run!' that always tickled me. The players are paranormal investigators, the ghosts they're investigating probably don't exist, but they have to make it exciting for the people watching at home. The idea is that they get beset by tonnes of completely ordinary happenings, and they have to come up with some crazy pseudoscience to make it look like a genuine haunting.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
lying about seeing something spiritual in a religious sense for attention is horrible. My ex strived to be a devout Catholic and he would never make up a ghost story just for "respect." Sure, I don't know if I believe the story myself, but I know HE would feel like a shitty person if he made that up. I've heard many other stories during my short time in church and trying to argue whether or not ghosts are real without adding spiritual/religious aspects just doesn't make sense. Yes, I do believe many stories are made up, but no, I don't believe he just came up with that one for attention.

I think I addressed this when I said people who embellish stories don't always view them as lies if they can convince themselves something could be true.

Obviously I cannot comment on individual people you know in any detail, because I don't know them, but it looks like we both a large number of people's ghost stories are made up.

Amepix Will Win

Some Furry Artist
I think I addressed this when I said people who embellish stories don't always view them as lies if they can convince themselves something could be true.

Obviously I cannot comment on individual people you know in any detail, because I don't know them, but it looks like we both a large number of people's ghost stories are made up.
True that. A lot of stories are faked. Making it hard to know which experiences weren't fake. Sadly, I think it's impossible to know the answer most of the time, and only the original poster of that story would know if it was real or fake.

AniwayasSong

SO... I've been watching some ghost hunters' vlogs recently and there always seems to be one thing in common... a slight distortion of light and the pets are the only ones to see them... therefore if ghosts are real they would have to be on the spectrum of light that humans cannot see
I'm saying 'Yes.'
I've seen far too many weird, unexplained things happen that defy all normal phenomena, and once you do that the UN-explainable has to be considered.
'sides, who doesn't LOVE a good ghost story?!
;-)

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
There is a strangeness to all the evidence for ghosts being based on 'unexplained' things.

Let's say a car gets stolen. Some people blame Bob, and others blame Sally.
Whatever happened, we know that there is some explanation for the car disappearing, we just don't know what it is yet.

Sally points out that there is no evidence that Bob stole the car, but the disappearance is unexplained. Therefore, unless somebody comes up with a better scientific explanation, it's valid to assume Bob is guilty.