• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.
I

Infrarednexus

Fun fact about the state I live in, Arkansas

It is the birthplace of the famous singer, Johny Cash.

Yakamaru

Not enough fucking minerals!
My country is the home of the infamous ostehøvel, lomper and vikings. Oh, and fish and oil exports.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
I'd be here all day if I talked about my home state of New York, even if I just restricted it to the Upstate regions. (For instance, there are a LOT of musicians from up here.) So I'll stick to just this:

My hometown used to be the site of a glass factory.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
I was born and partly raised in Germany, but I'm American... so... I have no real feeling that the United States is my "home". But I can tie them both together.

As a kid, I lived in Baltimore, MD. Baltimore is famous for literally putting Old Bay seasoning on damn near everything it makes, especially if it came from the ocean. Most people probably know Old Bay from "crab chips". They've even made an Old Bay-flavored vodka, too. Old Bay was created by a German immigrant and named after a passenger ship.

quoting_mungo

You're next, Mongolia.
Bwahaha, Sweden escaped the clutches of the British!

Scandinavia (ie vikings) invaded early Britain and actually had a non-trivial influence on the development of early English. You can see this in very early literary works (Beowulf), which pretty much have at least as much in common with old Scandinavian as old English.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Bwahaha, Sweden escaped the clutches of the British!

Scandinavia (ie vikings) invaded early Britain and actually had a non-trivial influence on the development of early English. You can see this in very early literary works (Beowulf), which pretty much have at least as much in common with old Scandinavian as old English.

For now! >:3 We gon' getcha, Sweden.

And yes, our grammar used to be much more highly inflected, like German is, and became highly simplified after the Danelaw. It's probably why Scandinavians find English so easy to learn.

mahaute

Lover of bugs
Curently, in my province, we are making a full waepons registery, because people want to reduce gun violence.

My province of 8 million peoples had 93 murder last years.

Less then half of those were by guns.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Curently, in my province, we are making a full waepons registery, because people want to reduce gun violence.

My province of 8 million peoples had 93 murder last years.

Less then half of those were by guns.

I wondered what these numbers really meant, so I've compared them to my own country's biggest city, London.

London's metropolitan area has 13.6 million people and had 131 homicides last year. 13 of those were shootings, so what, 1 in 10.

So that's a rate of 131/136 (/100k) ~ 1 murders per hundred thousand people, or ~0.1 fatal shootings per hundred thousand.
Your province is at ~1.16 murders per hundred thousand people, so ~0.58 fatal shootings per hundred thousand.

So your province has about the same rate of murders as London, but they're more likely to involve guns.

I compared to some other country-level data. Your province's homicide rate would be considered more or less average in western Europe, but amazingly it's lower than 49 US states!