• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Crime and Puzzle games

Gumshoe

I am not absolutely sure if everyone will agree with my opinion, but I have been getting into the puzzle and mystery genres of video games lately. Games like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Layton Brothers, etc., have all caught my interest. Does anyone else feel the same way I do about these particular game genres?

Last edited:

Judge Spear

I adore Professor Layton to pieces. Own all the games. Watched the movie. Have soundtracks. Love that fucking series. Really tests your brain. I always wonder how the developers come up with such difficult puzzles themselves. I do like the typical arcade puzzlers more though. Lumines being my pride and joy of the genre followed by Tetris (specifically the PSP title).

Gumshoe

I adore Professor Layton to pieces. Own all the games. Watched the movie. Have soundtracks. Love that fucking series. Really tests your brain. I always wonder how the developers come up with such difficult puzzles themselves. I do like the typical arcade puzzlers more though. Lumines being my pride and joy of the genre followed by Tetris (specifically the PSP title).

If you look in the credits in each game, their seems to be a cast member titled "The Puzzle Master" (although his name escapes me). Have you also known that their is an IOS game for the Layton series? The only major differences are that the game converts to more of a murder mystery type game rather than the usual storyline with puzzles along the way, and the fact that Professor Hershel Layton does not make an appearance in this game, but rather his son, "Inspector Aldmerti Layton". The game is called "Layton Brothers: Mystery Room". This post is not meant to stand as an advertisement, but more of a recommendation, because I feel that not enough Layton fans even know the existence of this game in general.

Counted_Crows

I am not absolutely sure if everyone will agree with my opinion, but I have been getting into the puzzle and mystery genres of video games lately. Games like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Layton Brothers, etc., have all caught my interest. Does anyone else feel the same way I do about these particular game genres?

Absolutely! I always have felt that the noir genre has great potential in games because of the inherent puzzles that exist within the story. I'm not sure there's really been a noir themed game that I've really enjoyed. I haven't played Professor Layton, sadly. From what I've heard of it, I think I would enjoy it. L.A. Noire was a step in the right direction, but it suffered from artificially inserted action sequences and watered down puzzles. Ghost Trick was an interesting approach, but I wish the puzzles were more open ended.

There's also a few new ones in the works, like Ir/rational investigator which hopefully presents a new perspective on puzzle solving, and is on steam greenlight.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92933628

ShadowedIrises

I agree, those games are the best. I love FPS and action, but they don't stimulate the mind in the same way a good puzzle does. Counted_Crows mentioned Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (I think that is what it was called) and I too thought that game was pretty good, but I felt like it ended abruptly and the gameplay was too restricted.

Recently I played The Premature Burial for IOS and that was pretty engaging, though the hidden object scenes became a bit repetitive. I would suggest that series, and another IOS game called The Room for anyone that doesn't mind a little math/geometry.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
There is Hotel Dusk and The Secret of Cape West (the latter not released in America) which could be considered crime and puzzle games, though interactive books with a neo-noir style might be a better description for them. They also have very nice smooth jazz soundtracks and some really nice rotoscoping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6L26DZYEs

Cuukie

Brings the PUNishment
thinking outside the box, Amnesia: The Dark Descent has both crimes and puzzles!

Counted_Crows

There is Hotel Dusk and The Secret of Cape West (the latter not released in America) which could be considered crime and puzzle games, though interactive books with a neo-noir style might be a better description for them. They also have very nice smooth jazz soundtracks and some really nice rotoscoping.

Oh, I forgot about Hotel Dusk! I really loved the art direction, music, and characters in that game. Really just an overall great game.

Twylyght

I love these two games. I own them both and I love playing them. The music is really good, the characters are fleshed out and the puzzles are fun. I like how in the game you have to be really careful on how much you want to question someone. if you press too much, they will get suspicious or just plain kick you out of the hotel and the game is over. There was one part in Hotel Dusk where you steal some keys to open a locked door. Now the landlord finds out and he starts searching everyone he comes across and their rooms. You have to put the keys back or it's game over.

I love the Phoenix Wright and Prof. Layton games as well. (I wish I could get my hands on that cross over XD) The story telling is always interesting and the puzzles are fun. Ghost Trick was fun, but there is no replay value and there is only one way to solve a puzzle. They don't let you find your own way to solve the death traps that are set up. 999 is a good, horror puzzle game. I haven't beaten it yet, but I love what I'm playing so far.

Gumshoe

I have heard good things about Ghost Trick. I have to try out Hotel Dusk as well. I am glad so many people are interested in this particular genre rather than only preffering FPS games and such!