• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique and stuffff

Aaros

Yesh, I made another drawing to have critique on. MOAR
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/200/c/4/forest_light_by_aarosdragon-d410ua2.jpg
Open to whatever critique you have, as harsh as you want :p Improvement is the name of the game here.

I've been trying to fix my colors, light, composition, and such, especially by looking at photoreferences and studying from life, so HOPEfully moving a little more in the direction I need to go every pic, but I'll see what input I get about how it's going...

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Colors look good, but edges need work. Meaning you may want to soften the edges of the wings, where the bones are a bit. It's too highlighted and strongly hard edged highlights and they need a more gentle treatment.

For example, if you look at the bat's wings the bones aren't really highlighted but there are harder shadows.

Aaros

Colors look good, but edges need work. Meaning you may want to soften the edges of the wings, where the bones are a bit. It's too highlighted and strongly hard edged highlights and they need a more gentle treatment.

For example, if you look at the bat's wings the bones aren't really highlighted but there are harder shadows.

Ah, I see what you mean :) That's a good reminder to look at actual anatomy refs for wings before going to work :p I shall remember that in the future, thanks!

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
a little nitpick - if the tree that's closest to the creatures is supposed to be the same kind of tree as the rest of them, maybe put a little more color into the ones receding into the background. Right now my eyes are interpreting it as another species of tree because there's just a contrast between the local colors. I'm sure that, even with atmospheric perspective that there's a tiny bit of the less saturated color in the other leaves. :]

If they're supposed to be different types of trees then maybe switch up the texture of the leaves a bit to make it more obvious.

Really like how this one is coming out; definitely one of the best I've seen from you :D keep it up!

Eske

Don't believe the mask...
This is really beautiful painting! I love the soft light beams and the overall feel of the forest environment.

Zydala and Arshes already gave excellent advice, so my main critique is going to center around composition. At the moment, everything feels very stiff and square, mostly because every one of the trees is perfectly straight and perfectly parallel. In a real forest, you would have much more variation -- leaning in one or another direction, smaller branches toward the base, curved trunks, etc. Even if it's fairly subtle, the small differences help break the feeling of straight up-and-down composition.

A few examples of what I mean: one - two - three

The trees to either side framing the image are what bother me the most -- perhaps a slight lean to one or both trees, or a small branch/sapling, or anything to break that perfect parallelism to the edge of the painting would be good. :) You have some mushrooms further in to break the lines a bit, but there's still an overwhelming feeling of very stiff, straight lines throughout.

Anyway, like I said, this is really beautiful. c: I absolutely adore all of the details you've poured into the painting, especially in the foreground there. Keep up the hard work! <3

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
I think eske's last example is pretty close to what OP has; she brings up a good point. That seems like it'd be an easy fix to get in a little more variation; try just free transforming a few parts of it (cut paste rotate, shrink then blend details etc) and get that bit of variation. It's great because you have a really strong piece so all this advice is just going to make it even stronger.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I forgot why I needed to reiterate the edge thing. It's also causing a compositional problem:

I'm actually going to disagree with Arshes slightly, on the topic of colour. It's very green. Working on one colour palette is not necessarily a bad thing -- I do it frequently -- but the green seems to be all hovering around the same value.

The desaturation of the background trees is good. It goes a sense of depth and scale. But right now, the dragons are the same colour as everything else around them, and between that and the hard edges of their wings, I don't know where to look.