• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: Critique my comic

Would my comic look better in colour?

• No, I prefer it in lineart/monochrome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Hello, all.
With current events in the media concerning the riots in the US and the All Cops Are Bad posts on social media, I'm worried that my comic, which features police officers as main characters will reflect badly on me.

Please be aware that the plot does contain rioting, but not for the matter of race (it stars anthro characters, so race is not a theme that is present). However, there are moments where the police's actions are brought into question, so it's not completely irrelevant.

Also be aware that the plot was drawn up a month prior to these current events, so I didn't know this was going to happen, nor am I taking inspiration from it.

I worry mostly because my characters within the police are not depicted in a negative way and this may cause some upset for people who think I'm ignoring the problem if I don't do that.

I do want to try and continue working on it, since I've invested a lot of time and money into it and overall, close friends seem to really enjoy it.

If you'd like to read what I have for it, I'll post the link to the comic as it stands, here- Smack Jeeves: Shades Of Blue

Please do critique any other aspects you would like to. It's open for critique in all areas.

Also, another question is going to be on here in the form of a poll- Do you think it would look better in colour and would you pay extra (only around 1 or $2 extra) to see it like that? (for this, I'll post a version of the first page in colour to give you an idea of what it would mean for the rest)

Page_1_Complete_PNG.png
Page_2_Complete_PNG.png
Page_1_Completed_SETH.png
Page_2_Completed_SETH.png

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Last edited:

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Banned
I’ll say it here so everyone sees it.
So it’s no secret if you follow me or encountered me in any currently topical thread what my views are of American police. (It’s not favorable to them in the slightest)

that said Remember that there is a suspension of belief and a fantasy type veil you should apply to certain works.
We can be against the real world American police for what they do and still ingest content that is in a different realm of existence from us for enjoyment.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
So it’s no secret if you follow me or encountered me in any currently topical thread what my views are of American police. (It’s not favorable to them in the slightest)

that said Remember that there is a suspension of belief and a fantasy type veil you should apply to certain works.
We can be against the real world American police for what they do and still ingest content that is in a different realm of existence from us for enjoyment.
I want to let it be known that the police in this comic are indeed American. But they do not represent the corrupt or unjust system that people will think of. It is still a fantasy environment and it's still fictional.

Lance

Crazy husky that stays up all night
KD I'd say that you gotta do what feels right to you and makes you happy. Don't let others dictate the things that you enjoy doing I really enjoy reading your comics they are very interesting don't let any of the negative things people say about your stuff go to your head it is a very good comic it exists outside of what is happening in the US and there is no reason people should read it and decided to hate on it just because they don't like the way current event are happening locally. All the events in this comic are made by you not by them if they want to rag on you so bad than they should just make there own comic. So have fun with what your doing and keep up the good work.

cowboi

DM me your favorite dinosaur
I’ll say what I said earlier in discord but has already been shared here - at least from my POV, a police procedural comic is a totally different beast than the madness that’s happening right now. You’re not trying to glorify the cops who have been in the news or trying to use the comic to defend their actions (or even critique their actions at all, as best I can tell). I agree with Ovi, you need to do what makes you happy, and I don’t see this comic as trying to inflame the current police situation here in the US.

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
The very first before anything else is that I think this should go from 2 pages to 4 since it's a lot in one page for each.
I would cute the first page in half right under the 4/5 th panel and on the second page at the bottom of the 1/4 th panel.
Having to scroll through at that length is distracting. I was taught to make sure you can absorb the entire page at one glace. Make sense?

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
The very first before anything else is that I think this should go from 2 pages to 4 since it's a lot in one page for each.
I would cute the first page in half right under the 4/5 th panel and on the second page at the bottom of the 1/4 th panel.
Having to scroll through at that length is distracting. I was taught to make sure you can absorb the entire page at one glace. Make sense?
Ah, this is why I need an editor who has a more substantial experience with comics. I'm very happy you mentioned that and I'll definitely take it on board. If it isn't too much trouble, can you suggest how I can do that? I am only the writer, so I don't work on the art used. I only state what's happening and who's saying what.

Feel free to send a PM to me about this if you have any suggestions. Thank you for your feedback :3

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
Ah, this is why I need an editor who has a more substantial experience with comics. I'm very happy you mentioned that and I'll definitely take it on board. If it isn't too much trouble, can you suggest how I can do that? I am only the writer, so I don't work on the art used. I only state what's happening and who's saying what.

Feel free to send a PM to me about this if you have any suggestions. Thank you for your feedback :3
I would say you just open in up PS and cut in but that would require redrawing some parts.

I'll give you some in depth feedback on the police aspect after I get some rest.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Apologies for double-posting, but I'm going to respond to the other feedback here.
Do what makes you happy. It doesn't matter what others think.
What makes me happy is people enjoying what I help to put together. I do also enjoy writing for this (despite a few hiccups).
Thank you for your feedback!

Love the design!
I'm not the artist but I do really appreciate hearing that! The artist is Space-Hatter, who's also on the forums. Thank you!

I’ll say what I said earlier in discord but has already been shared here - at least from my POV, a police procedural comic is a totally different beast than the madness that’s happening right now. You’re not trying to glorify the cops who have been in the news or trying to use the comic to defend their actions (or even critique their actions at all, as best I can tell). I agree with Ovi, you need to do what makes you happy, and I don’t see this comic as trying to inflame the current police situation here in the US.
This is what I hope the majority of people see it as. I do want to make it clear I don't support police brutality, nor do any of the characters. However, I will ask for some clarity-
Say for example, one of the protesters is not peaceful and throws the first punch. If an officer retaliates to prevent harm from coming to others or to make an arrest, is this considered acceptable? This is in regard to comic events and I don't want there being any mixed signals given.
Thank you for your feedback!

KD I'd say that you gotta do what feels right to you and makes you happy. Don't let others dictate the things that you enjoy doing I really enjoy reading your comics they are very interesting don't let any of the negative things people say about your stuff go to your head it is a very good comic it exists outside of what is happening in the US and there is no reason people should read it and decided to hate on it just because they don't like the way current event are happening locally. All the events in this comic are made by you not by them if they want to rag on you so bad than they should just make there own comic. So have fun with what your doing and keep up the good work.
Thank you for your feedback! I hope it continues to be something you enjoy.

Thank you for your feedback on this matter. I hoped that this would be the response I'd get.
If anything, the comic serves as an example of what the police should be doing. Protecting and serving the community and not engaging in brutal acts.

@redhusky Thank you! I look forward to hearing the rest of your feedback.