• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: critique request on this mew (NSFW)

A

Asdruballe

As the title says, could i get some feedback on this piece www.furaffinity.net: mew shiny 1.5 by asdruballe
i mainly seek advice on how to stand out more the character against the background and for general error i have missed
P.S. i use clip studio
thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

MissNook

@Asdruballe

Hi there,

In your drawing, you tried several techniques that can work.
You added highlights, which is good! The highlights usually allow to add contrast and points of interest to a drawing. In your case, the issue is that the contrasts aren't strong enough since you used pastel colors (so colors with values near each other). So you should try to add more vivid colors or stronger contrast in values.

You also used complementary colors for the character and background, and it also allows to bring contrast. Keep that in mind for future drawings.

Last but not least, you used an outline which can make the character pop out if strong enough. Here it's not strong enough in my opinion. Keep also in mind that outline can make your character pop out but can also make them seem out of their environment and a little flat, so think of what you want to convey and try things! :)

I did two alternate versions of your drawing here: Sta.sh Uploads 1061 In both, I added a stronger highlight but not all around the character to show volume. I also added an highlight to the eyes to make them stand out and change the luminosity of the colors to make them more vivid.
For the first one, I used the light highlight (so a value different of the rest) to bring out the character more and I added mustaches in the same highlight color to add a point of attention to the face.
For the second one, I change the luminosity of the background to have a change of contrast between the value of the character and the value of the background.

Hope that helps!