• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: Critique Request

KOUKI

Hi all i'm quite new to the furry art scene and i have just been painting digitally for 2 years and started painting furry art a few months ago. i've decided to go with cel shaded / semi painterly art style as the most simplest and basic. i dunno if i can post NSFW art here for critique? Any comments and advice are welcome thanks :)

Attachments

• PoliceBear SFW resize.jpg
    PoliceBear SFW resize.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 52

MissNook

@KOUKI Hi there and welcome :)

If I don't make a mistake, you can post NSFW links to your pictures if it's in spoiler. You can't attached them to your posts like you've done this time. The best would be to put a link to the image in your FA gallery properly tag as mature content so that people will see it only if they have activated the NSFW filter (and to say it's NSFW still in your post ^^).

Now for your critique, I think you've got a pretty nice understanding of anatomy and muscles. The arm at our right would need more love in term of anatomy though since it seems like the elbow crease is towards us but the biceps and triceps should not be turned that way if that was the case. Some references pictures may help.

The yellow rim light works quite well to make your picture more interesting.

The shadows seem inaccurate, I don't get where your light source is. It seems to be at the right for the shirt (at least the collar and the sleeve at the right) but on the left for the arm at our right. Or maybe its in the front, but it still doesn't make sense for the sleeve on the left and the muscles of the arm at the right seem off too in term of shadows.

For the good points, I also think that your lineart gives a nice sense of volume.

Hope that helps and keep up the good art!

KOUKI

Omg thank u so much for this!!! I've always wondered what's imp wats weird so keep shadows consistent and simple? Problem with me is I keep thinking 'must showcase muscles must showcase muscles' so I keep putting shadows on muscles in different directions jus to show the bulge lol. So pple can tell ya if shadows r off. Ya and the arm thing again cos I keep seeing so many good furry artists they can showcase that bicep line etc so I kept trying to put it in even if the angle is not needed lol. Thanks for pointing all this out. I guess I might use 3D software to help me with shadows n lighting to know where shadows r. Is that cheating? Sigh
@KOUKI Hi there and welcome :)

If I don't make a mistake, you can post NSFW links to your pictures if it's in spoiler. You can't attached them to your posts like you've done this time. The best would be to put a link to the image in your FA gallery properly tag as mature content so that people will see it only if they have activated the NSFW filter (and to say it's NSFW still in your post ^^).

Now for your critique, I think you've got a pretty nice understanding of anatomy and muscles. The arm at our right would need more love in term of anatomy though since it seems like the elbow crease is towards us but the biceps and triceps should not be turned that way if that was the case. Some references pictures may help.

The yellow rim light works quite well to make your picture more interesting.

The shadows seem inaccurate, I don't get where your light source is. It seems to be at the right for the shirt (at least the collar and the sleeve at the right) but on the left for the arm at our right. Or maybe its in the front, but it still doesn't make sense for the sleeve on the left and the muscles of the arm at the right seem off too in term of shadows.

For the good points, I also think that your lineart gives a nice sense of volume.

Hope that helps and keep up the good art!
u very kich

MissNook

@KOUKI You're welcome!

You might want to check this tutorial about shadows/light source showed with muscles: www.deviantart.com: Shading Tutorial Page 1 (you can find the other parts of the tuto in the description).

It's not cheating to use a 3D software in my opinion, but I think you should use it for learning purpose so try to understand why lights and shadows act like that (it's often easy to change your light source, so son't hesitate to play with it).
The issue with 3D is also that often the models are quite stiff and can have an unnatural vibe to them, so I would suggest to use 3D but in addition to photo references from real human.
Also something that looks normal in real life can sometimes feel weird in an aesthetic point of view (like a hand that is closed if you look at it from the top, it feels like it's not really aesthetically interesting). So don't hesitate to use some creativity here to make it look nice even if that means putting some realism aside.

MissNook

By the way, I've done a mistake, with the rules now you can't put NSFW work even in spoiler but only with a link to a site with proper checking/filter (like FA and it's SFW filter). I thought it would be better to let you know ^^

KOUKI

Hey thanks so much again for your reply :) So i went to study some lighting and musculature and redrew my superhero bear character and attached here SFW version. (Bulges are not NSFW i hope lol) Hope to receive your input regarding this thanks so much once again :)

@KOUKI You're welcome!

You might want to check this tutorial about shadows/light source showed with muscles: www.deviantart.com: Shading Tutorial Page 1 (you can find the other parts of the tuto in the description).

It's not cheating to use a 3D software in my opinion, but I think you should use it for learning purpose so try to understand why lights and shadows act like that (it's often easy to change your light source, so son't hesitate to play with it).
The issue with 3D is also that often the models are quite stiff and can have an unnatural vibe to them, so I would suggest to use 3D but in addition to photo references from real human.
Also something that looks normal in real life can sometimes feel weird in an aesthetic point of view (like a hand that is closed if you look at it from the top, it feels like it's not really aesthetically interesting). So don't hesitate to use some creativity here to make it look nice even if that means putting some realism aside.

Attachments

• HeroPractice1 resize.jpg
    HeroPractice1 resize.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 36

MissNook

@KOUKI
Nice idea! The pose is quite good even if there are some mistakes especially with the position of the leg at the back (it seems to be in an unbalanced position with the knee too much toward the inside of the body) and of the arm at the back. I'm also not too sure about how much the muscles bulge on the back, so I suggest a change but I don't know that much about really muscular people ^^

You also may want to reframe the picture to have less blank space around your character and make him stand out more :)

I've done alternate versions of fixes to show you what I meant for the leg and arms. Please keep in mind that I've done my best with the help of a morphology book and pictures of bodybuilder/super heroes but I'm not too used to draw muscles ^^

Arm & leg fix + thumbs issue (usually thumbs are not link to the palm the way you've done it)
dcym79i-0589a4e1-38f1-47b1-9644-e0f3f57e6baf.jpg

In your version I thought that the shoulder seemed a little off, like it was broken, so I've done this version to show you what I thought would be better (so with a foreshortening)
dcym7s5-aad8a3c8-2104-4959-bfbd-4e9b09fceb93.jpg

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

KOUKI

THank u so much again yes it does look better n feels more natural with your edits. i have attached the original ref i used for this pose n yes u r correct i didn't look carefully and once again i sacrificed pose n anatomy for bigger muscles (shoulders) and ass. i gus if i wanna showcase those parts i should find a pose that either just flexes the arms or just shows the butt in a more observable angle lol. and yes the thumbs i always dunno wat 2 do wif them lol. looking at so many mistakes from just two posts perhaps i should give up in furry art? as most pple have this basic down pat n i seem to create more mistakes as i post. thanks once again.

@KOUKI
Nice idea! The pose is quite good even if there are some mistakes especially with the position of the leg at the back (it seems to be in an unbalanced position with the knee too much toward the inside of the body) and of the arm at the back. I'm also not too sure about how much the muscles bulge on the back, so I suggest a change but I don't know that much about really muscular people ^^

You also may want to reframe the picture to have less blank space around your character and make him stand out more :)

I've done alternate versions of fixes to show you what I meant for the leg and arms. Please keep in mind that I've done my best with the help of a morphology book and pictures of bodybuilder/super heroes but I'm not too used to draw muscles ^^

Arm & leg fix + thumbs issue (usually thumbs are not link to the palm the way you've done it)
dcym79i-0589a4e1-38f1-47b1-9644-e0f3f57e6baf.jpg

In your version I thought that the shoulder seemed a little off, like it was broken, so I've done this version to show you what I thought would be better (so with a foreshortening)
file

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• 05 copy.jpg
    05 copy.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 28

MissNook

THank u so much again yes it does look better n feels more natural with your edits. i have attached the original ref i used for this pose n yes u r correct i didn't look carefully and once again i sacrificed pose n anatomy for bigger muscles (shoulders) and ass. i gus if i wanna showcase those parts i should find a pose that either just flexes the arms or just shows the butt in a more observable angle lol. and yes the thumbs i always dunno wat 2 do wif them lol. looking at so many mistakes from just two posts perhaps i should give up in furry art? as most pple have this basic down pat n i seem to create more mistakes as i post. thanks once again.
Making mistakes is not a bad thing. You don't have to fix all of them or to care too much about them if you feel like its an hindrance or a weight on your mind. Having fun and a good time when drawing is what is important ;)

If I told you those critiques it's because we don't always see our mistakes or how to fix them. I find it useful for myself to ask critique on my own pieces and I always have things to improve or errors on them ^^
My last post was more about the mistakes and less about the good things, but you've done a lot of good things too that I didn't point out. A dynamic pose, a nice gesture, a good use of the blue rimlight are some of the things you've done well.
And I think that both of your pictures are interesting to look at!

I don't think you did more mistakes, but you certainly did a much more difficult pose and render. It's normal to not have everything right on the first try but you'll always learn something while trying :)

Either way, don't force yourself. If you don't want to draw furry for a while, that's okay ;) Do what you want!