• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

WildKitFox

WildKitFox
Hey everyone!

I'm a very new and still very rough artist trying to improve a new skill, and was wondering if you fine folks could maybe take a moment and critique one of my drawings? It's posted here: www.furaffinity.net: Harem Fox by WildFox373

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts you may have! I struggle with pwrspective and consistency with drawing, and I would love to tackle these and any other problems that you may see!

MissNook

Hi there,

You seem to have a pretty good understanding of the muscles and anatomy. There's a slight issue with proportions though. The arm at the back is too small for its upper part and the hand is too high, the ground should have been a little lower.
The pose is pretty interesting and you've done great with the foreshortening (which is hard so congrats!). For me it just lacks a little logic. I'm not sure what you wanted to show. But I guess he was resting part of his weight on his back arm. If that's the case, then his all body would be more slanted.
Last, but I guess the most important thing is that the framing/composition can be improved a lot. You left a lot of blank space without any purpose I can see. If you don't have a background, try to find a framing that is close enough to the character to make it important and not too close to let the blank space give the silhouette some space and so more importance too.

Hope that helps ^^

WildKitFox

WildKitFox
Hi there,

You seem to have a pretty good understanding of the muscles and anatomy. There's a slight issue with proportions though. The arm at the back is too small for its upper part and the hand is too high, the ground should have been a little lower.
The pose is pretty interesting and you've done great with the foreshortening (which is hard so congrats!). For me it just lacks a little logic. I'm not sure what you wanted to show. But I guess he was resting part of his weight on his back arm. If that's the case, then his all body would be more slanted.
Last, but I guess the most important thing is that the framing/composition can be improved a lot. You left a lot of blank space without any purpose I can see. If you don't have a background, try to find a framing that is close enough to the character to make it important and not too close to let the blank space give the silhouette some space and so more importance too.

Hope that helps ^^

I think I see what you're saying about the framing and open space. I also struggled with what to do with that back hand quite a bit, and his overall pose was a little "worked out as I went." I think I'll look for drawing exercises that focus on improving my consistency with proportion and scale in the overall image, and I'll make sure to have a pose worked out a little better before I begin, so the figure is distributing his weight more realistically. Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

MissNook

I think I see what you're saying about the framing and open space. I also struggled with what to do with that back hand quite a bit, and his overall pose was a little "worked out as I went." I think I'll look for drawing exercises that focus on improving my consistency with proportion and scale in the overall image, and I'll make sure to have a pose worked out a little better before I begin, so the figure is distributing his weight more realistically. Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it!
For the posing, don't hesitate to "thumbnail" your pose. Draw it in little size with rough shapes and when you're happy with the overall feel of the pose try to do it a little bigger before really drawing it. It may help (for me it helps at least). You can also think of the framing with the thumbnails to catch what works and don't so I think it might be useful to you :)

And you're welcome! Don't hesitate to send more art in this thread. I'll try to come and see if I can help in any way :)

WildKitFox

WildKitFox
For the posing, don't hesitate to "thumbnail" your pose. Draw it in little size with rough shapes and when you're happy with the overall feel of the pose try to do it a little bigger before really drawing it. It may help (for me it helps at least). You can also think of the framing with the thumbnails to catch what works and don't so I think it might be useful to you :)

And you're welcome! Don't hesitate to send more art in this thread. I'll try to come and see if I can help in any way :)

Thank you! I'll try the thumbnail sketch for sure, and see how it goes! I appreciate it!