• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Crossposting - Califur '08 Conbook Story Contest

Summercat

Former Motterator
http://califur.com/ is the website for Califur, which will be running from May 15th through the 19th, 2008. ...according to the website, that is. My guess, someone goofed and put the time that the STAFF (which includes me. Joy) will be there for setup.... usually, the con goes Friday through Monday. Adding in a Thursday would be odd...

ANYHOW!

While nominally attached to Gaming (And if you have any suggestions for THAT, LET ME KNOW ), I tend to stick my nose into the entire convention. And since I asked the wrong question to the wrong person, it appears I'm now handling part of the content for the conbook.

My personal mistake of volunteering aside, here's the gist of what we're looking for:

A short, one to two page story, that falls under a rating of PG-13 for a maximum rating (Meaning, no adult stuff), and is set within the theme of 'Furry Steampunk.'

Actually, to be honest, we're looking for more than one. I put in three or so different stories last year, and I would like to spread around the printing area to more people...

Submissions to the contest will be looked over preliminarily by myself to see if it fits the minimum qualifications of rating and setting, then be judged by myself and other Califur staff members.

I hate to brag, but our conbook this last year kicked the PANTS off of FC's, or even ACs.

If accepted, your story will be printed in the conbook with full credit given to you, and I will see about sending you a copy of the conbook if you do not attend the convention.

I'll also poke about to see about anything else, but I'd be limited to my own funds, and I'm a bit... strapped for cash right now (Yay, Ramen and lots of it. Blegh.)

For a reminder of what Steampunk is, I've got this handy dandy Link that explains what it is. ^_^

If you want to get my attention and ask specific questions, a good place to do so would be my journal, http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/199701/ .

~Pax Vob
Bengaley Summercat
Henry J. Thiel
Staff:Gaming, Califur

M. LeRenard

Is not French
I am vaguely considering it, but two pages seems awfully short. Short short stories are actually very hard to write [well], and I don't know if I feel like putting out the mental effort. Maybe you could show some samples from last year, to, like, spark some ideas?

Mitch_DLG

I'll see what I can do, both story and art-wise.

Summercat

Former Motterator
M. Le Renard said:
I am vaguely considering it, but two pages seems awfully short. Short short stories are actually very hard to write [well], and I don't know if I feel like putting out the mental effort. Maybe you could show some samples from last year, to, like, spark some ideas?

Two of my things that made it in:

The Days After
Furry Times - Macavity Strikes Again

These were written very quickly to respond to the emergency, about a month or so before con, request for stories. Part of this is trying to make certain THAT doesn't happen again!

I'll see if I can't get the PDF of the conbook posted somewhere where you guys can check it out, for example of what we did...

Mitch_DLG said:
I'll see what I can do, both story and art-wise.

Mitch, if you could, that would be AWESOME. I, personally, am just looking for story content, but Rainhopper is still looking for art as well (Technically, I'm working for HIM on this issue), and he said that if a story and an art go together, all the better.

...gee, maybe I should set a deadline or something o.o;

Summercat

Former Motterator
http://www.furrymagazine.com/califur3/conbookpdfs/califur03_conbook_lowres.pdf

There we go. That's what the conbook for the last Califur looked like.

Hey Summercat! :D This sounds very interesting. I am considering trying this but i just have one question.
The website says it has to recieve all submissions by April of 2007. ummm thats already past soooo how does that work exactly?

Summercat

Former Motterator
Spiritmoon said:
Hey Summercat! :D This sounds very interesting. I am considering trying this but i just have one question.
The website says it has to recieve all submissions by April of 2007. ummm thats already past soooo how does that work exactly?

Heh!

That would have been for LAST YEARS! We were scrambling for content ^^

We hold the con in May =D

Anyhow, don't worry TOO much about the deadline until... um.... Febuary. Although I'd like to cut it off sooner, and if we get enough kickass content before then, I think I would.

It'd be amazing to have SOMETHING done ahead of time =D

OK well thats cool then. i think ill try and get something done for that. Im sure i can get something written by then.
...max of two pages though eh? well that may be a bit tricky but i do enjoy a challenge :D

Summercat

Former Motterator
Spiritmoon said:
OK well thats cool then. i think ill try and get something done for that. Im sure i can get something written by then.
...max of two pages though eh? well that may be a bit tricky but i do enjoy a challenge :D

Well, it depends. Honestly, read the conbook I posted. I guesstimated, to be honest, on two pages...

But I can craft a SHORT story (mainly an excerpt, to be honest) in a single page in size 12 font.

Well its giving me an "unknown file type" error so i cant look at it anyway its no big deal

Also, just to be certain, THIS years theme is Steampunk, and LAST years theme was Furry Villains right?
if so then they reeeealy need to update their website

Summercat

Former Motterator
Spiritmoon said:
Well its giving me an "unknown file type" error so i cant look at it anyway its no big deal

Also, just to be certain, THIS years theme is Steampunk, and LAST years theme was Furry Villains right?
if so then they reeeealy need to update their website

Eh?

Website is Califur.com - the site I linked for the conbook is a seperate thing, and probably would have info from last-year's con.

Right now, all we have *for certain* for Califur IV are the hotel and the dates. We don't have any set programming. Then again, we have a damn good idea of what we're going to do, and what rooms we got...

Is just a matter of getting it all organized.

Also, do you have Adobe Acrobat? It is a PDF file.

I dont think i do. just got a brand new computer so theres not much on it yet.

Anyway i guess i misunderstood something so i guess ill shut up now before i make a fool of myself :X
Ill look over the site again and try to figure it out.

Summercat

Former Motterator
Spiritmoon said:
I dont think i do. just got a brand new computer so theres not much on it yet.

Anyway i guess i misunderstood something so i guess ill shut up now before i make a fool of myself :X
Ill look over the site again and try to figure it out.

Well, give me a few moments, I'll see what I can do with the file. I suggest you pop over to Adobe.com to get Reader, ASAP.

And also, Rightclick, Save Link As for the link for last year's conbook. It's a large file, 2 and a half megs...

--|Edit|--

No, there's nothing I can do to make it easly viewable. Ah well. ;_;

ok i looked at the site again andi guess the theme is Steampunk right? And anything written for the conbook has to be within that theme right? I saw somewhere else that last years theme was Furry Villains so thats where the confusion came about.

Ya ill try to get reader asap

Summercat

Former Motterator
Spiritmoon said:
ok i looked at the site again andi guess the theme is Steampunk right? And anything written for the conbook has to be within that theme right? I saw somewhere else that last years theme was Furry Villains so thats where the confusion came about.

Ya ill try to get reader asap

YEah.

LAST year's theme was Furry Villans. THIS coming Con is going to be Steampunk.

And yes, it has to be with that theme in mind. *nodnod*

lol ok, just downloaded adobe reader so i should be good to go. I will definately try my hand at writing something for this, but i just have one (possibly silly) question.

Is there anyhting in particular you are looking for? Any particular sort of work or is it pretty much anything goes as long as its within the set parameters?

Summercat

Former Motterator
Spiritmoon said:
lol ok, just downloaded adobe reader so i should be good to go. I will definately try my hand at writing something for this, but i just have one (possibly silly) question.

Is there anyhting in particular you are looking for? Any particular sort of work or is it pretty much anything goes as long as its within the set parameters?

It MUST be clean - no adult works.
HAS to fit within the theme - Steampunk
SHOULD be about two pages - Depending on format.

That's about it. =D

Alrighty then, thanks for the info :) if i am successful in writing such a short work worth reading i will tell ya. Untill then, May the Moon watch over you :)

Summercat

Former Motterator
Darc said:
Interesting idea. I'd give it a go but I'm better with writing for comics than a text story. I don't know why but the text alone always turns out so awful. And Matt's short stories always end up running long. :D If I can be of any help art-wise though please let me know.

Nice con book. :D

Darc?

How much would I have to beg to get you to do a short for the conbook? ;_;

The conbook is ALSO taking art submissions, so artists - don't feel left out, it's just that, traditionally, there are more kickass artists than writers. ;_;

And thanks, Darc, for the conbook comment =D

Darc

RCSI Archivist
Do you mean a short comic? Or a short text story?

If you'd like a short text story - I'm not really comfortable with my writing so I'd probably squeak and run off to hide under the bed. :(

If it's a short comic you'd like - I would just need to know theme, maximum page length and when you'd need it by. I've one commission in progress which will be done this weekend and another which I'm hoping to have finished by the end of next weekend. And the third commission is a mini comic issue on it's own so that will take a while. But I can slip another comic in front of that third commission if you'd like.

Summercat

Former Motterator
Darc said:
Do you mean a short comic? Or a short text story?

If you'd like a short text story - I'm not really comfortable with my writing so I'd probably squeak and run off to hide under the bed. :(

If it's a short comic you'd like - I would just need to know theme, maximum page length and when you'd need it by. I've one commission in progress which will be done this weekend and another which I'm hoping to have finished by the end of next weekend. And the third commission is a mini comic issue on it's own so that will take a while. But I can slip another comic in front of that third commission if you'd like.

I will poke at you later today (hopefully) with details on that, as I will be up molesterating the guy in charge of the art for the Califur conbook (I'm up there all the time anyhow).

I don't >>THINK<< we'd need it before Febuary, and even if all you think you might have time for is a picture, well, I've got a story in need of one ^_^;

But I'll post details for the art later tonight, as well as PM you the specifics. *nodnod*