• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Current Situation of FA

Hello everyone, i just created this account here but i have been on FA for about a year so far. I am among those who are worried about this website due to the fact that it has been down for about 2 days.

i had only noticed when i was trying to open FA to ask a question to someone when i noticed that the title bar said "FA is temporarily offline" and an under-maintenance layout appeared on the screen.

at times, the site would shift in and out of functionality every 2-3 hours or so... (measurements are obviously inaccurate since i am too busy with other things)
yesterday, when i had brief access to the website, i strongly expressed my relief over how FA was finally up and running.

but the thing is, you can't celebrate too early... when i came back about 2 hours later, the site was down once again.

according to later updates, they later found out that FA had been affected by this "Undo Tablespace corruption". i'm not really an expert with computers but i think this problem only occurs to an Oracle Database. the staff later said that they were able to back up more than a decade's worth of data and that the progress is still about half of that.

Nobody has to acknowledge this, but being the eccentric being that i am, i am assuming that a saboteur did this. why do you ask? the furry community has a lot of enemies. and a lot of micro organizations have been formed in a pointless attempt to spread negativity about the fandom. all of which have failed and fell into obscurity for good measure. some would try to be extreme by raiding/colonizing furry-related groups formed by furries. but in the end, it's all pointless. but to be truthful, 97% of me doubts this theory.

now, this kind of incident has already happened about multiple times over the years now.
i would say that i am very frustrated at the moment, but i'm not surprised at all.
in fact, this whole incident is understandable to say the least.

the thing is, FurAffinity is an old website. it has been the central hub for furries and other people alike for over the course of 14 years. the hardware being used to run the massive thing is starting to cause problems and most of them are either outdated or jam-packed with large amounts of data.

to be honest, FA is aging, it's growing unstable, it's got some rust, it's corroding, and it's starting to become dangerous. also, i'd compare what the moderators are trying to do to get the site back up again to trying to jump start an old car.

the website's layout can be the bodywork, the server running it and holding all the data can be a car's engine, and the database can be the car's battery, coolant system, timing belt, etc... and all the users registered can be the occupants inside. all these components are necessary to keep both of those running.

The queries locking up can be like any of these scenarios, a car stalling and shutting off, a car running out of gas or running low on battery, an engine backfire, a fault with the timing system, a flat tyre, an engine overheating, and a seized motor.

but despite all of that, i still have faith that the staff are doing all they can to alleviate the corruption within the database. and i'll be among those to push FA to the pump until it gives out. that's all i have to say for now, and FurAffinity is not yet lost!

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
I don't think it was anything malicious. I think we encountered a rare bug in the system that happened to cause an issue. We have zero evidence of if being the action of a third party.

And yes, our code is old and does need to be updated. That's something we continue to work on, but isn't the cause of what happened here.

Getting the site back up is our top priority.

Danny Pandawolf

The Pandawuffie FluffButt
I don't think it was anything malicious. I think we encountered a rare bug in the system that happened to cause an issue. We have zero evidence of if being the action of a third party.

And yes, our code is old and does need to be updated. That's something we continue to work on, but isn't the cause of what happened here.

Any updates or ETAs?

maxgoof

I'm curious about the percentages used to determine completion.

The database started being imported at approximately 1PM yesterday.

At about 8PM it was reported at about 50%

At about 4AM it was reported at about 80%

So, it took 7 hours to do 50%, then another 8 to do an additional 30%?

I'd like to know the Big O notation for the process. It seems the closer to 100% it gets, the more time it takes.

RoxyHana

Princess Bunny ♥

Ummm the processing is not lineal, I mean, it's normal that some % is done faster than other depending on the data it has to be processed. For example, when you install a software, sometimes it's like going from 0% to 40% in a second and then it takes forever to get to 90%.

Edit: What I mean is, the percent doesn't mean "time", it means data that is processed. Some might take longer than other.

Last edited:

Tendo64

Siamese Weeb
I didn't even realize it was down.
Just goes to show how rarely I use the site.... ha...

barfoo664

While I do admire your dedication to improving the website, I really feel like I need to state the advantages of old websites like furaffinity. - Mainly: All features of the website can be used _without_ javascript. - Everything functions entirely within the confines of the static web.

That may not seem important to most people, and I realize that by revealing why this is important to me I'm poking a sleeping dog (the metaphorical dog here being staff like you), but sadly there are still parts of the world where people like me can't use normal means of accessing content like that produced by the furry community, and have to resort to using Tor. (I'm not going to mention any country names, but I'm sure you can think of some yourself)
Yes. I'm using Tor with javascript disabled right now, and I have to do so to not risk loosing my anonymity or be shunned by my community. (Don't ask for specifics about me, I won't give any)

And while I'm not sure about your stance on Tor, I have run into that <Your Ip has been blocked for: Being a known Tor exit node> a couple of times, and it sends a cold shiver down my spine every time it happens, and makes me feel like I'm not actually welcome in this community which I love so much... (In other words: if it wasn't for the tor-node list not being up-to-date, I probably couldn't even be here right now; so please keep on keeping it out-of-date, if only for me)

So while I'm all for modernization, please keep people like me in mind and don't lock certain features, or even the entire website behind a javascript-wall (*cough* inkbunny's watch/fav system) if this choice ever comes up during development. (I'm not alleging that FA's javascript itself would try to deanonymize me, but like mentioned by other posts, this community got enemies. And if one of those managed to hack the site to inject some malicious Javascript... *shudders* I don't even want to think about that)

Yours: A devout, honest and upstanding furaffinity user that wishes this role not to change

PS: Best of luck getting the website up and running soon ;)

maxgoof

I'd like to know the Big O notation for the process. It seems the closer to 100% it gets, the more time it takes.

Then, at 8AM, approximately, it's being reported at 95%, so, an additional 4 hours did 15%.

It is now after 10AM, and the last 5% isn't done.

The first 50% took 7 hours, the last 50% has taken over 14.

Clearly the process has a Big O higher than n. Anyone know what the Big O notation for the process is?

Blackerst

The measure of completeness could also be the number of DB objects loaded which wouldn't have a proper Big O notation given the randomness of the object sizes.

Either way they are doing the work and keeping us updated which is awesome, keep it up!

maxgoof

The measure of completeness could also be the number of DB objects loaded which wouldn't have a proper Big O notation given the randomness of the object sizes.

Either way they are doing the work and keeping us updated which is awesome, keep it up!

All quite true. However, the size of the submissions are not the database and would not be affected by a database rebuild. Each item in the database would be a link with a few smaller pieces of info, perhaps keywords, which take up little room, and are likely very similar in size.

Unless, of course, the submissions ARE a part of the database, which would be a bad way to organize a database the size of FA.

My main concern is to find a better way to show percentages, especially if it is known that the process gets slower the further you go.

For those who don't know what I mean by Big O notation, it is an approximation of how much time a process will take, based on the increasing size of the number of elements, n, in the process.

For example, a simple bubble sort has a Big O of n squared, meaning when you double the size of the of the elements, the time takes four times as long. A more efficient partition sort has a Big O of n ln(n), meaning when you double the size of the elements the time takes about 2 1/2 times as long.

I'm suspecting the Big O of the rebuild process is of order n squared.

maxgoof

And I no sooner post that, and the site is back online.

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator

SQL dump import speed depends on too many factors for any estimations of its completion to be accurate.
Different tables have different sized rows and a different amount of them. With big rows, you are limited by the throughput of your storage device, with small rows - by the speed of individual CPU cores that parse the SQL input. Both are limited by network throughput, by which the backup is being streamed through. There are no consistent metrics.