• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Dark Souls

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw
Sorry a good RPG game should have a good amount of story. I got very quickly bored with the minimalist story and repetitive game play, as much as i like a challenge in my games i perfer a form of strategy in mine not just full action. Like pokemon with its advance learning curve in competitive battling and breeding.
That's fair on the story part and maybe you could try dark souls since it's a bit more upfront with it's story. however I will say the gameplay aspect is completely wrong.
When you're playing at first yea you have to be super careful of everything but when it comes to the game play it's really not repetitive, at least way less so than most any other rpg, could you please explain how you it's repetitive.

It's not full on action and you generally have to think through on how to fight guys and how to approach areas, though since you didn't get that far in the game that didn't come up as much. Also theirs the fact that most every weapon feels different. Like playing with a rapier is very different than playing with a sword short. Their move sets are very different and cause of how dangerous each enemy is you notice this and have to adjust to this. Even weapons in the same category can have slightly varriring attacks and speed that matter when playing. also playing with magic and arrows magic it different also. Even your armor choice effects how you play. Heavy armor means you have poise and won't get knocked out of your attack animations but light armor means you have faster rolls since your equip load is much less. Playing through the game once with a bleed dagger was radically different than playing through the game with a greataxe for me. There's also pvp which adds another level of strategy and replay-ability.

I personally don't mind repetitiveness in the slightest (I play a lot of the dynasty warrior series) But I don't think dark souls is a repetitive game and i can't see how any other rpg is less repetitive than dark souls. In other RPGs i haven't had to think near as much about the gameplay as I have with dark souls.

That all being said dark souls 1 is prolly not your cup of tea but you should try dark souls 2 since it's less minimalistic and easier to understand all the subtle complexities of the series.

Fiab

Crazy enough
that's still pretty early, like that can be the 4th boss which is still super early in the game

Well you can return to the asylum with once leaving without ever having to kill another boss, but that's just being technical.

Sorry a good RPG game should have a good amount of story. I got very quickly bored with the minimalist story and repetitive game play, as much as i like a challenge in my games i perfer a form of strategy in mine not just full action.

Fighting the lesser enemies can be repetitive, but the bosses do make you have to think to be able to kill em (for the most part), even the second boss you should fight gives you some help if you look around and the boss fight of Anor Londo...

I kinda like how they throw a minimal amount of story at ya and make you go find it. Though I do think they did go a little too hardcore trying to make the story as "convoluted" as the game's concept of time, it still allowed multiple scenarios on how point a ended at point b.

Favorite place Dark Souls offered had to have been Sen's for me. Dealing with enemy and environmental hazards is always fun and wish there was a bigger attempt at it in 2.

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw
Well you can return to the asylum with once leaving without ever having to kill another boss, but that's just being technical.

Fighting the lesser enemies can be repetitive, but the bosses do make you have to think to be able to kill em (for the most part), even the second boss you should fight gives you some help if you look around and the boss fight of Anor Londo...

I kinda like how they throw a minimal amount of story at ya and make you go find it. Though I do think they did go a little too hardcore trying to make the story as "convoluted" as the game's concept of time, it still allowed multiple scenarios on how point a ended at point b.

Favorite place Dark Souls offered had to have been Sen's for me. Dealing with enemy and environmental hazards is always fun and wish there was a bigger attempt at it in 2.
The DLC has been doing that really damn well, the the sunken crown more so for it's environmental hazards, but iron king is also really good at it.

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
Fine...il try the game out a little bit more then....

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw
well you should prolly try dark souls 2 instead of one cause if you dislike minimalism dark souls will still be really minimalistic, dark souls 2 is noticilby less minimalistic so you would more likley enjoy that. also the online related things are more active in that and they really add a lot to the game.

HereKittyKitty

It's all fun and games...
Definitely try 2 rather than 1.
2 improves on a lot of things while keeping basically the same plot line. So you're really missing nothing except for a few throw backs to the first game that are neat for fans of the series. Also, as Alastair stated, more people will be on the pvp for 2, adding more to the game.

I really think Dark Souls 2 is the perfect balance of Dark Souls and Demon Souls.

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw
Definitely try 2 rather than 1.
2 improves on a lot of things while keeping basically the same plot line. So you're really missing nothing except for a few throw backs to the first game that are neat for fans of the series. Also, as Alastair stated, more people will be on the pvp for 2, adding more to the game.

I really think Dark Souls 2 is the perfect balance of Dark Souls and Demon Souls.
yea dark souls 2 is my favorite but also i didn't get much of a chance to play dark souls online and have yet to play demon souls though it does have the best set of bosses at least visually.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Everywhere i've read DSII is apparently crap compared to DSI.
And i noobishly picked the tiny ring or something for increased health at the start -_-

HereKittyKitty

It's all fun and games...
Everywhere i've read DSII is apparently crap compared to DSI.
And i noobishly picked the tiny ring or something for increased health at the start -_-
I did that during my first run of 2 too. It's not such a bad thing. Depending on build, there are definitely worse things to pick. Petrified something is my pick of choice now. The crows can be quite lucrative.

And I don't know why DSII is getting so much hate. DSI definitely has a better story and lore, but I really think that DSII improved on a lot of things. Mechanics are better like dodge rolling, there are so many cool enemies and bosses, it's beautiful... I really like it, but I guess it's up to everyone to pick their favorite.

yea dark souls 2 is my favorite but also i didn't get much of a chance to play dark souls online and have yet to play demon souls though it does have the best set of bosses at least visually.
Demon Souls honestly isn't that good all things considered. Yes, it's pretty, but it has a lot of kinks that were worked out during the reboot. And you can't skip through the Maiden in Black's dialog to get to the leveling screen. It takes so long! At least you can speed the Emerald Herald along.

Gronix

Catless Cat Lady
I absolutely hated waiting hours for online play in DkS. Screw you gfwl

But in the second one, I finally got to do online play whenever I want

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw
And I don't know why DSII is getting so much hate. DSI definitely has a better story and lore, but I really think that DSII improved on a lot of things. Mechanics are better like dodge rolling, there are so many cool enemies and bosses, it's beautiful... I really like it, but I guess it's up to everyone to pick their favorite.

it's cause poeple hate new things i have a friend who constantly plays dark souls 2 almost only bitches about the game in the most nonsensicle ways and about things that where also problems in dark souls 1 but calls dark souls 2 crap about it. The most hilarious complaint he made was about what the game says after you beat a boss.

also i like starting with petrified something as well since it's a nice way to likley get a good quick thing.