• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Dark Souls

Demensa

Characterless sack of potatoes
I've seen a lot of people on this forum talk about Dark Souls, in various different threads and with the announcement of Dark Souls 2, I wanted a slightly more specific place to talk about the game. (Obligatory "sorry if this thread has been made before")

I picked up the game about 3-4 months ago and have beat it nearly twice (I stopped playing when I got to the final boss on NG+ because I wanted to mess around before I beat it again.).
In the month or so I spent playing the game, I found myself addicted like no other game had gotten me before and it got to the point where I would play 6 hours or so a day. As I have heard with nearly every other player, I have to say: you get a rush of satisfaction like no other game, from beating a difficult boss and making it to the next bonfire. The lore and game universe is amazing and the whole map is wonderfully intertwined and beautifully designed. While I have heard some people call the game unforgiving, I like to say that it is forgiving... just very stern. It's difficult, but not the kind that makes you want to put down the game and never pick it up. For all of these reasons and more, I recommend those who haven't played, to pick it up.

Of course a general description of my experience isn't what I really wanted to talk about. I want to compare strategies, hints, tips, secrets, stories, lore and other detailed parts of the game.
What weapons do you use most?
What covenants do you belong to?
Favourite locations?
What Bosses caused you the most trouble?
Which bosses are your favourites?
Anything!

And speculation on Dark Souls 2!

I have a whole lot to say about this game. All I ask is for someone to join in conversation :)

Praise the sun/thread

NOTE: THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD. IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME AND PLAN TO, CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Last edited:

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
I've played it to death on Xbox, and have been thinking about getting it for PC, but if they haven't done anything about the BB glitch or the rampant twinking I think I'll just end up waiting for DS2.

Ranguvar

Great game, just finished my first run at around 50 hours. My only complaint is that the game is so good that while playing I would get a big ole' boner, and that shit hurts after a couple of hours.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Finally a Dark Souls thread.

My friends recommended DS to me because I love difficult old school games. I was hooked pretty much immediately. Lordran is amazing, the characters and lore are compelling, and the experience as a whole is so gooooood. I think two days into the game I realized it would be one of my all time favorites. No question.

- I like to try different weapons for each character, but I really like the moveset of the Great Scythe. My Dex character was rocking that thing.
- Path of The Dragon obviously. My main is currently going Dragon Torso Bare Fisties mode. So hard.
- Fave location? Ash Lake. That song. The dark atmosphere. The fact that it's the lowest point in such a huge game is also cool.
- First run through Taurus Demon gave me the most trouble because I was new and didn't know anything about the game yet. I had a crap shield and a bad weapon. to this day though I hate the Bed of Chaos.
- Favorite boss is probably the Bell Gargoyles, Kalameet (Prepare to die), or Seethe. I love the Bell Gargoyle designs with the helmet, shield and stuff.
- That feeling of going through an early area with all your preposterously high class gear and killing everything that gave you trouble before :D

It's just so good. I can't recommend it enough. I know this will sound pretentious, but DS sort of gave me faith in modern gaming. I was like "Wow, I can still have a grueling, compelling, and rewarding experience playing a game." I still need to beat Demon's Souls though. Demon's Souls is great in a lot of the same ways as Dark, but man the ghost system SUCKS.

Demensa

Finally a Dark Souls thread.

My friends recommended DS to me because I love difficult old school games. I was hooked pretty much immediately. Lordran is amazing, the characters and lore are compelling, and the experience as a whole is so gooooood. I think two days into the game I realized it would be one of my all time favorites. No question.

- I like to try different weapons for each character, but I really like the moveset of the Great Scythe. My Dex character was rocking that thing.
- Path of The Dragon obviously. My main is currently going Dragon Torso Bare Fisties mode. So hard.
- Fave location? Ash Lake. That song. The dark atmosphere. The fact that it's the lowest point in such a huge game is also cool.
- First run through Taurus Demon gave me the most trouble because I was new and didn't know anything about the game yet. I had a crap shield and a bad weapon. to this day though I hate the Bed of Chaos.
- Favorite boss is probably the Bell Gargoyles, Kalameet (Prepare to die), or Seethe. I love the Bell Gargoyle designs with the helmet, shield and stuff.
- That feeling of going through an early area with all your preposterously high class gear and killing everything that gave you trouble before :D

It's just so good. I can't recommend it enough. I know this will sound pretentious, but DS sort of gave me faith in modern gaming. I was like "Wow, I can still have a grueling, compelling, and rewarding experience playing a game." I still need to beat Demon's Souls though. Demon's Souls is great in a lot of the same ways as Dark, but man the ghost system SUCKS.

I remember when I started, the Taurus Demon gave me the most trouble out of all of the bosses. In those first 3 or 4 days of playing, with me not knowing where to go, and getting nowhere, I could have put the game down and never come back. After that however, once I realised that I had passed up the Gargoyles and killed them with no trouble whatsoever, things really started to pick up and I got hooked.

With my one character I've been playing, I like to use things like: +5 chaos Zweihander, +5 Fire (Heavy axe of some kind), Uchigatana and some other high damage weapons. As slow as they are, I like building up my strength (And Dex) for some of the bigger weapons.

For favourite location, I'd agree with Ash Lake, although visually I enjoy Crystal Caves (I just hate the invisibridges... so. much.)
My favourite boss would have to be the Gaping Dragon just because I completely was not expecting something so strange and awesome looking. This would be followed by Sif (I know... such a furfag :/ )

And the Bed of Chaos... I actually figured that one out before I got really frustrated. I don't resent it like I hear most people do.

The 4 Kings on NG+ was probably my most difficult fight, (also one of the more epic battles) although O&S on NG+ were probably close behind.
The NG+ experience was awesome. I probably only had 4 or 5 deaths up until Anor Londo and I think I only died once beating Sif and a few other times being careless in Sen's Fortress and other miscellaneous places. That feeling of running through the game that once gave you so much trouble and killing every boss in one attempt, with ease is just amazing, right after struggling to finish the game the first time.

Also, once I finished the game the first time, I allowed myself to go online and look up some stuff on Dark Souls... and Behold! I had missed out on at least 5 covenants, the return to Undead Asylum, the Painted World, a major boss, a blacksmith, major questlines and so many more little things. The best thing is, I haven't looked up everything, so there's still so much I don't know! Did anyone find that they missed a ton of stuff the first time, including things that they NEVER would have found without looking it up?

And the multiplayer... ah the multiplayer, I'd go on about it if I weren't so lazy. I'll do it next post...

Last edited:

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Yeah I went with a heavy-weight STR character for the last time and it's so different from playing as a light DEX person. Nothing like swinging that hugea$$ weapon and making a boss flinch ;).

It's funny all of my friends had your experience; the opposite of mine. They all had trouble with the 4 Kings, but I never have. And they all breezed through Bed of Chaos and the first time he gave me so much trouble. Funny how that happens. What do you think about the Capra Demon because I don't think I've ever had an easy time with him. Also lol. Sif is a great boss! YEah the scaly in me was giddy when I found out I could actually turn into a dragon. It's not super practical, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look dope.

I'm in the same boat as you the moment I got hooked for real was around the Undead Parish. Because at that point I was like "This is incredibly hard, but I know how it works now." You know what I mean? The moment when you truly learn shield timing and estus conservation etc. So good!

Like you I took to the internets after beating the game for the first time. I actually did pretty well. With the exception of the more tricky covenants I saw most of what there is to see. I've yet to successfully complete Seigmeyer or Solaire's quests yet though. Maybe next time.

Demensa

The first time I faced the Capra Demon I did have a fair bit of trouble with it (Those damned poison dogs always get in the way...). The next time was ridiculously easy (NG+).
The Path of the dragon is pretty cool as well... I was going to mess around a bit with it before completing my second game :)

I don't know if I'll ever complete Seigmeyer or Solaire's quest either. They seem very... difficult and confusing.

Do you play multiplayer much? (Or I should say, do you spend a lot of time in human form?)
I hardly ever spent time as a human until I got invaded twice in a row at the bottom of blighttown while kindling a bonfire. I just so happened to destroy both of them.
From then on (especially in my NG+ game) I summoned people and got invaded all the time and I've loved every minute of it. (However, as a sort of test, I've beaten every boss at least once on my own, just to make sure I wasn't reliant on summons)
It gets rid of that 'alone' feeling that defines the single player game and it's just a ridiculous amount of fun.

Last edited:

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Yeah the character quests are really tricky and unintuitive. Someday I'll get it right, but last time I tried I found Seigmeyer's daughter, but let him die by accident. Ergg.

The first time I played was on PS3 totally offline so I beat everything on my lonesome and that was super hard (but naturally super rewarding). Once I got Prepare to Die I started summoning and such. Pretty fun even though it makes most bosses a joak. Whenever I'm in human form I make sure I have few souls and no humanity just in case I get invaded. Getting invaded is fun, I think, because of the shenanigans that can happen. Once I was in Darkroot Wood and my invader fell backwards off a cliff! So great. Have you ever belonged to the Forest Hunter covenant? That's a fun one occasionally.

I really like the alone factor, but you're right the invading and summoning nonsense is pretty fun.

Demensa

Yeah the character quests are really tricky and unintuitive. Someday I'll get it right, but last time I tried I found Seigmeyer's daughter, but let him die by accident. Ergg.

The first time I played was on PS3 totally offline so I beat everything on my lonesome and that was super hard (but naturally super rewarding). Once I got Prepare to Die I started summoning and such. Pretty fun even though it makes most bosses a joak. Whenever I'm in human form I make sure I have few souls and no humanity just in case I get invaded. Getting invaded is fun, I think, because of the shenanigans that can happen. Once I was in Darkroot Wood and my invader fell backwards off a cliff! So great. Have you ever belonged to the Forest Hunter covenant? That's a fun one occasionally.

I really like the alone factor, but you're right the invading and summoning nonsense is pretty fun.

Funny story: The first time I joined the forest hunter covenant, I had no idea what I was doing, so I continued to attack everything in the forest which automatically kicked me from the covenant and Alvina vanished, never to be seen again. (This was before about absolution)

I did later come back to it and I had a blast with the forest invasions and PVP...

Man, it's complete mayhem sometimes...

I remember one time I was running through the depths on NG+ and I felt like having a bit of fun, so I summoned a guy and we cleared the area faster than I ever thought possible. We even got invaded a few times, but we literally took them out in the space of 15 seconds... I do agree though, that the alone factor is great. The best thing is that you can play it however you like.

My next character might be a sorcery build. I've never really used too many of the sorcery spells, or miracles for that matter. I use those only sparingly.
I'm typically more of a pyromancer type... It fits in better with a heavy build. What spells do you typically use?

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I made a faith ninja last time. She used a Holy Uchigatana. That was fun because I was light and DEX-ish, but I could heal myself all day long. Next time I play I'm going sorcery for sure.

But I have to get through Demon's Souls first. I think I'll go with the temple knight (cleric + knight rly). Sorcery is hax in Demon's because it uses MP and there are accessories and weapons that can refill MP. And Demon's also has soulmass ;)

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Capra Demon was a cunt, didn't have much trouble with many of the other bosses though save the underground lake hydra.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Capra Demon was a cunt, didn't have much trouble with many of the other bosses though save the underground lake hydra.
He sucks so much. If you're playing as any kind of lightweight you are fugged. I usually end up power levelling and coming back to him later.

Lilyface

Oh boy! I love this game!

Most used weapon: Before the patch it was a +5 lighting winged spear because of reasons. After, it was still that (mainly in PVP only due to nerfing) but also a baldur side sword or maybe a zweihander for giggles.

Covenants: Dickwraith/Darksun

Locations: I actually really love the new places from the DLC. Oolicile Gardens (I should note that I've only played in this area on my brother's game due to reasons listed below) win out over the other areas, but Undead Burg will always hold a special place in my cold, withered heart.

Bosses: (most trouble) Manticore. God. Fucking. Damn it. I don't even have a reason as to why, I just get railroaded over and over again for no particular reason. I don't even think he legit counts as a boss due to re-spawn, does he? In fact, because of being unable to get past him I stopped playing and haven't really had a chance to play anything else in the DLC. I've seen it played though, and Manus looks pretty fun to fight. Second place for "most trouble defeating a boss" award goes to Bed of Chaos. Seriously, why would they do that in a boss fight unless they hated you?

(favorite) Pinwheel because it's hilarious and Nito for challenge (1millionskeletonshelp). Snorlax and Pikachu would probably be my second pick for challenge, but I had more fun fighting Nito.

I'm really excited for 2 to come out because DAT TRAILER HNNGH. I'm only hoping they don't mess with the controls too much. Is it just me, or does anybody else get the feeling that there'll be more lore in this than in previous games?

Lilyface

I made a faith ninja last time. She used a Holy Uchigatana. That was fun because I was light and DEX-ish, but I could heal myself all day long. Next time I play I'm going sorcery for sure.

But I have to get through Demon's Souls first. I think I'll go with the temple knight (cleric + knight rly). Sorcery is hax in Demon's because it uses MP and there are accessories and weapons that can refill MP. And Demon's also has soulmass ;)

Sorcery is akin to godmode in Demon's. Just watch out for Old King Allant (massive magic resistance) and the Tower Knight. They gave me the most trouble. Also, in the beginning of the game, you will probably die a lot due to being squishy unless you get enough strength to carry a large shield.

Unless you've already played and beaten it, in which case you know all that stuff so ignore me while I derp over here.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Oh boy! I love this game! -etc.-
Yeah that Manticore Guardian is a pain. He's so fast. So fast. Unlike Pinwheel who I think everyone will agree is a complete pushover. My only advice for the manticore is get yourself a high stability shield and just practice up.

Lilyface

And the lighting. In the water. There is no escape. I've been using Eagle shield, but it's been nerfed pretty badly. Probably going to try silver knight/black knight for a while and see if I can't manage to kill it before it kills me. If all else fails, grind souls until I can up my stamina some more or just roll a new char altogether.

shteev

Lol how do I delete this account
I made a cleric character, gonna focus on miracles this playthrough. I also love the hand axe - it swings fast an' hard.

I've spent 90 hours in the game and I haven't beaten it once. I made two characters, though. One that got up to the gargoyles and another that made it to the Four Kings.

I think that, with the experience I have with the game, I should be able to beat it with this new character.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I made a cleric character, gonna focus on miracles this playthrough. I also love the hand axe - it swings fast an' hard.

I've spent 90 hours in the game and I haven't beaten it once. I made two characters, though. One that got up to the gargoyles and another that made it to the Four Kings.

I think that, with the experience I have with the game, I should be able to beat it with this new character.
Sounds like you should be fine. idk what your grinding experience is, but go to Ariamis with the Symbol of Avarice and Covetous Silver Serpent Ring and have yourself a grand old time.

I really need to make a magic user next in Dark Souls. I've never really 'majored' in it.

Ikrit

I'm fired up!
just got the game and working on a pyromancer

trying to beat this demon on a wall... and i'm having a hard time getting used to the controls for some reason.... "no! not X! i meant to press B!"

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
just got the game and working on a pyromancer

trying to beat this demon on a wall... and i'm having a hard time getting used to the controls for some reason.... "no! not X! i meant to press B!"
Pyromancers are so haxxxx, but they are fun. Nothing quite like setting and entire group of enemies on fire or Combustioning a boss to death. Got to be one of the easiest to start out with.

Ikrit

I'm fired up!
Pyromancers are so haxxxx, but they are fun. Nothing quite like setting and entire group of enemies on fire or Combustioning a boss to death. Got to be one of the easiest to start out with.
I think the main reason i'm having problems right now is because i keep forgetting about the aim button

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Imagine if someone didn't know about locking on and played through all the way up to Gwyn, thinking that the game was really just THAT hard...

And then they accidentally click the thumbstick.

I actually did that up to the Four Kings. >.>;