• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

database optimization

omegawolfie

ok. I have some beef with the site coder. while I agree that what he's planning will speed things up a bit, it will anger not only me, but alot of other furs I know. From what I understand, we won't be able to favorite anything older than six months? If I'm wrong, please explain in greater detail.

Not favorites.

I think what he's doing is people who's accounts have just been sitting idle for a long time (IE, 6 months) and have images they need to go through and look at (submissions from other artists) that are older than 6 months, then he's deleting those.

Does that make sense?

Infinity said:
Be patient, everything will be revealed in due time... Would you want a laggy and dysfunctional site or a functional site with whatever is being brought in? Besides people can reupload stuff if needed. A favorites system is not needed on an art site anyway...

Edit: I don't know what's going on, but just wait and see what happens.

I beg to differ, I think favorite system is needed on an art site o_O; I mean, I like to keep up with my favorite art without having to save it >_>;

kuronekotenshi said:
Infinity said:
Be patient, everything will be revealed in due time... Would you want a laggy and dysfunctional site or a functional site with whatever is being brought in? Besides people can reupload stuff if needed. A favorites system is not needed on an art site anyway...

Edit: I don't know what's going on, but just wait and see what happens.

I beg to differ, I think favorite system is needed on an art site o_O; I mean, I like to keep up with my favorite art without having to save it >_>;

And i agree, i mean ive got plenty of hard drive space but honestly id rather use it on music or games.

Then again I sincerely doubt that they are going to remove people's favorites, i thought when they posted it they were talking about maybe pending submissions or something like that...We shall see soon enough though!

TheShekinah

I think the message could have been a bit clearer >_> I thought it meant that everything older than 6 months will be removed from our favorites list, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

thecrypto

I have fixed the message, I did not remove any favorites. All I removed was old messages in your user messages box which resulted from people on your watch list. Your watchlist is still there and all your favorites too.

Thanks much for the clarification crypto! See everyone nothing to worry about!

Tensik

as long as you are deleting old things, you may want to consider PM's that are 6 months or older. I know a lot of us let it get out of hand simply because we hold onto them, forget it, then it takes so long to go through them all.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Tensik said:
as long as you are deleting old things, you may want to consider PM's that are 6 months or older. I know a lot of us let it get out of hand simply because we hold onto them, forget it, then it takes so long to go through them all.
That's sort of the goal, too.

Mazz

THE BLEACH, IT DOES NOTHING!!!
Preyfar said:
Tensik said:

Yea, so those of us who have important info saved in PMs will have to lose it because of a lack of warning about removing old PMs. D:

E

Epsereth

Preyfar said:
Tensik said:

No no no no no!!! You need to give us warning before you do that!!!!

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Mazz said:
Yea, so those of us who have important info saved in PMs will have to lose it because of a lack of warning about removing old PMs. D:
When we do it, any notes that are going to be removed will be older than six months, so it shouldn't impact too much. However, we are not removing notes as of right now.

I'm a procrastinator but if you've got commission info from older than 6 months ago.. D: Y'know. >>; I doubt notes being removed will affect myself.

omegawolfie

Thanks much for the clarification Crypto and sorry for the drama. it's just I recently had lost all my saved art so I was favoriting and I jumped to conclusions. Many apologies.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Common sense to back-up important information in another location anyway.

E

Epsereth

kuronekotenshi said:
I'm a procrastinator but if you've got commission info from older than 6 months ago.. D: Y'know. >>; I doubt notes being removed will affect myself.

That's fine and dandy for you, but some of us have had things happen, you know? There are also conversations people might want tos ave. A few days warning would save a lot of hassle and general pissiness.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
You're just pissed because you can browse FA right now and we'll more than likely have to wait till tomorrow for it up again.
Find something else to do. I'm playing COD4 on DS and downloading Cooking Mama.

Sure it would have been nice for some notice but hey its not that big of a deal. I cant tell you how many times ive seen journals about "ive lost my commission list please send a note" Or if you cant really remember an entire conversation...then ask "hey what were we talking about?" I mean its easy fixes for something thats really not that big of a deal...

But hey thats just my opinion.

furryskibum

I'm reasonably certain it's people like me who were slowing things down...

Almost hit 30,000 new submissions from people I'm watching. *shrugs* Just never got around to saving the old ones from when I had no Internet and was building on my house.

Ryuu Majin

Need MOAR KEMONOs
Does this batadase optimization affect FA and make it unaccessible right now? FA is temporarily off line, I have cleaned my cache and cookies but it's still off line.