• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Dating apps

Luteus

Carrot muncher
Am I the only one that uses those just to see who's around but not really take it seriously? Very rarely do I get good conversations from those apps, so I just mess around.
I don't doubt that you can actually meet nice people there, but I've never taken it seriously myself.

Kinare

RAWR
I get a rare good conversation here and there, but generally speaking that's not the case. That said, I have gotten a handful of friends from some sites. No mates, though I've been close a couple times, but because I do take dating seriously I ask the important questions once interest is established and so far it has turned out there's major incompatibilities. I'm the oddball on these apps for sure, so many don't try and then whine about how no one talks to them. :v

If you don't take it seriously and don't put in the effort, it's likely you'll be met with the same. If someone just messages me with "hi, how r u?" I generally just ignore it. Never goes anywhere when I have responded, and I put plenty of things on my profile to start a conversation about, so it shows a real lack of interest if someone couldn't be bothered to say "I see you like such and such, I do too! Let's talk about it." Sometimes it's such little effort as "hi" and nothing else. Why bother messaging someone if that's all you have to say? Doesn't make sense to me. xD

Sam Akuchin Wamm

i think i'm in enough trouble as it is with the partners i get in real life.

Chomby

Monsters are hot. :)
I've downloaded dating apps only a few times, and each time I have never gotten past finishing my profile before being like "wtf am I doing" and noping out. I nope out of potential friendships too. I'm just afraid of commitment I guess.

Luteus

Carrot muncher
I get a rare good conversation here and there, but generally speaking that's not the case. That said, I have gotten a handful of friends from some sites. No mates, though I've been close a couple times, but because I do take dating seriously I ask the important questions once interest is established and so far it has turned out there's major incompatibilities. I'm the oddball on these apps for sure, so many don't try and then whine about how no one talks to them. :v

If you don't take it seriously and don't put in the effort, it's likely you'll be met with the same. If someone just messages me with "hi, how r u?" I generally just ignore it. Never goes anywhere when I have responded, and I put plenty of things on my profile to start a conversation about, so it shows a real lack of interest if someone couldn't be bothered to say "I see you like such and such, I do too! Let's talk about it." Sometimes it's such little effort as "hi" and nothing else. Why bother messaging someone if that's all you have to say? Doesn't make sense to me. xD
That and people with not even a profile picture. I mean, sure it's the internet and I probably wont recognize them anyway, but some more info would be helpful. The amount of 'hi' messages I ignore is pretty darn high.

Luteus

Carrot muncher
I've downloaded dating apps only a few times, and each time I have never gotten past finishing my profile before being like "wtf am I doing" and noping out. I nope out of potential friendships too. I'm just afraid of commitment I guess.
Just be carful I guess. A lot of people ask "what are you looking for" that's when I decide if I want something more or if I just want to troll someone.

I used to take these sites with a grain of salt because it was all long-distance, but I've met some really good frands on those that I took a chance on. Sure, for every 50 people you chat with, you may get 46 creeps and 4 keepers, but it's so worth it when you finally sift through all the mud and find a diamond in the rough. I just wish there were more furry specific dating sites.

Give people a chance, and you may be surprised! Just whatever you do, don't use pay apps like Furrymate. They literally use bot messages to fake engagement on your profile so you pay to read messages.

Luteus

Carrot muncher
I used to take these sites with a grain of salt because it was all long-distance, but I've met some really good frands on those that I took a chance on. Sure, for every 50 people you chat with, you may get 46 creeps and 4 keepers, but it's so worth it when you finally sift through all the mud and find a diamond in the rough. I just wish there were more furry specific dating sites.

Give people a chance, and you may be surprised! Just whatever you do, don't use pay apps like Furrymate. They literally use bot messages to fake engagement on your profile so you pay to read messages.
Well that's true, if you really want something there it takes luck and effort. Oh and apps that charge you to message people? no thanks

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
Dating apps are only as good as the people who use them - and, really, some people out there are just trash. Not all - there are some good, honest, authentic people who want a relationship without being desperate or creepy about it. Like, the ones who want to be married within six months and making babies within nine.

There are also some really bland profiles out there. So many of them are just BORING, or they all sound the same "I like music and movies and the outdoors and sometimes just staying home and cuddling" is so overused.

TemetNosce88

So long, good luck, goodbye.
I met my current girlfriend on a dating app a few years ago. Out of maybe 4-5 years of using a dating app, she was only the second person from the app I ever went on an actual date with.

Lots of incompatibility with people, and a lot of people that I think just weren't saying what they wanted. Like one lady who started a conversation with me and would only barely reply to my messages, but kept messaging for a few weeks. Another who would only respond in any depth about her dog training business and nothing else. Like, if you're just here for a hookup, say it and get it in the open. Don't string me along.

Like others have said, maybe I was just using it wrong trying to find an actual relationship. Glad it worked out for me somehow.

Charleslr'93

I know what that's like. Anxiety can force me to chicken out on a lot of things.

FoxWithAName

Still new only older
I never used one, never dared to use one. I am quite a shy boi and meeting new people mostly result in me being awkward or me being completely silent. So I am not into dating either. However I am open for a relationship, but I know that potential partners don't fall from the sky, so basically if I change nothing, nothing will happen. Sooooooo am I a lost cause? Can Dating Apps help? Do I need to make a leap of faith into the world of Online Dating?

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
As a girl in Canada, 100% of my experiences with it were garbage. Creepy old men that couldn't unlearn their womanizing ways, 'Chads' that couldn't handle rejection, and of course the (typically) harmless horndogs. I think the worst one I met was a dude that enjoyed intimate moments with his biological father. Second runner up had a wife and kids and his version of 'taking you on a date' also meant including the family. Not sure if he was unfaithful or just looking for someone else to pay the dinner bill... If it wasn't any of that, then the problem was the fact that they wanted to drink/smoke and I'm not about that scene. So basically, I had 0 potential candidates.

Everyone I have met irl (not even through the dating app) has been equally problematic. Dryhumping pillows/thinking I'm game for their bicurious exploration. A gay guy kissing me on the cheek without my consent and telling me he'd kiss me on the lips if we kept getting along as well as we had been (he was under the influence). First ex was a lying psychopath. I learned from that and dipped shortly after getting with my second ex, when his first 'little' lie peeked out. I've pretty much given up, but that doesn't mean it can't work for someone else.

Since I've had to move a lot more than I'd have liked, I do open up an account just to see what the local scene is like. If by chance they try and interact with me, I'll already know they're a potential red flag I need to avoid. Sometimes I'll change my settings to the places I used to be, and see just how many people are still actively on there. It's usually 'all of them'. Then I delete the account.

Luteus

Carrot muncher
Dating apps are only as good as the people who use them - and, really, some people out there are just trash. Not all - there are some good, honest, authentic people who want a relationship without being desperate or creepy about it. Like, the ones who want to be married within six months and making babies within nine.

There are also some really bland profiles out there. So many of them are just BORING, or they all sound the same "I like music and movies and the outdoors and sometimes just staying home and cuddling" is so overused.
Yea, a lot of times the lack of creativity and effort makes me doubt that they're trying to get something serious. You can usually tell when someone is a bit more creative just from their profile... maybe a bit superficial, but the first impression is important.

Luteus

Carrot muncher
I met my current girlfriend on a dating app a few years ago. Out of maybe 4-5 years of using a dating app, she was only the second person from the app I ever went on an actual date with.

Lots of incompatibility with people, and a lot of people that I think just weren't saying what they wanted. Like one lady who started a conversation with me and would only barely reply to my messages, but kept messaging for a few weeks. Another who would only respond in any depth about her dog training business and nothing else. Like, if you're just here for a hookup, say it and get it in the open. Don't string me along.

Like others have said, maybe I was just using it wrong trying to find an actual relationship. Glad it worked out for me somehow.
Oh I'm very happy for you, I have friends that have also gotten something good out of it :3
And yea, people should at least know what they want, or at least make it clearer.

Luteus

Carrot muncher
I never used one, never dared to use one. I am quite a shy boi and meeting new people mostly result in me being awkward or me being completely silent. So I am not into dating either. However I am open for a relationship, but I know that potential partners don't fall from the sky, so basically if I change nothing, nothing will happen. Sooooooo am I a lost cause? Can Dating Apps help? Do I need to make a leap of faith into the world of Online Dating?
Might be a start, just know that being online may be just a bit less stressing that meeting people personally right away. Best of luck to you ;3

Luteus

Carrot muncher
As a girl in Canada, 100% of my experiences with it were garbage. Creepy old men that couldn't unlearn their womanizing ways, 'Chads' that couldn't handle rejection, and of course the (typically) harmless horndogs. I think the worst one I met was a dude that enjoyed intimate moments with his biological father. Second runner up had a wife and kids and his version of 'taking you on a date' also meant including the family. Not sure if he was unfaithful or just looking for someone else to pay the dinner bill... If it wasn't any of that, then the problem was the fact that they wanted to drink/smoke and I'm not about that scene. So basically, I had 0 potential candidates.

Everyone I have met irl (not even through the dating app) has been equally problematic. Dryhumping pillows/thinking I'm game for their bicurious exploration. A gay guy kissing me on the cheek without my consent and telling me he'd kiss me on the lips if we kept getting along as well as we had been (he was under the influence). First ex was a lying psychopath. I learned from that and dipped shortly after getting with my second ex, when his first 'little' lie peeked out. I've pretty much given up, but that doesn't mean it can't work for someone else.

Since I've had to move a lot more than I'd have liked, I do open up an account just to see what the local scene is like. If by chance they try and interact with me, I'll already know they're a potential red flag I need to avoid. Sometimes I'll change my settings to the places I used to be, and see just how many people are still actively on there. It's usually 'all of them'. Then I delete the account.
Dang, looks like you've met the worse part of it. So sorry

FoxWithAName

Still new only older

Holy Moly, I am very uncomfortable reading this. I am very sorry and I feel that i need to apologize in the name of all men.
Might be a start, just know that being online may be just a bit less stressing that meeting people personally right away. Best of luck to you ;3
I think you are right, I start tomorrow...Do not misunderstand me I really want to start. Thx. So this thread will feature my experience in REAL TIME.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Holy Moly, I am very uncomfortable reading this. I am very sorry and I feel that i need to apologize in the name of all men.

I think you are right, I start tomorrow...Do not misunderstand me I really want to start. Thx. So this thread will feature my experience in REAL TIME.

Not necessary, but I certainly appreciate it!

Luteus

Carrot muncher

Lol ok, tell us what happens.