• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Daylight saving time

Yastreb

When I check the "Apply Daylight saving time correction" box in my account settings it just adds one hour to my time regardelss of whether DST is actually in effect currently. Are we really supposed to manually go check that box in the spring and uncheck it again in the autumn or is this a bug?

Shad0wW0lf

If I had to guess it's manual because

1: DST doesn't start on the same day around the world

2: Not everyone observes DST

So probably not a bug in my opinion

quoting_mungo

Yeah, I suspect the fact that it’s not synchronized worldwide has a large part in why it’s a manual toggle - it’s not like it’s even changed over on the same date each year (at least not here - I think it’s always the night between a Saturday and Sunday), so even asking the user to input the dates manually wouldn’t work for more than a year at a time.

Yastreb

Many other sites like Deviantart and e621 do this automatically taking into account the different starting and ending dates. But I guess here we should just be grateful for getting to choose our time zone at all.

Shad0wW0lf

Just cause you are in a certain time zone though does not mean you observe DST. See Arizona as an example.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
The time system on FA needs a revamp. It's relatively low on the position of things that need fixing. We're aware of it, it's just... there's a lot more things that need improving.

Bakensobek

Servant of Sobek
The time system on FA needs a revamp. It's relatively low on the position of things that need fixing. We're aware of it, it's just... there's a lot more things that need improving.
Or simply run on UTC. That clock never changes, and it is a standard around the world.