• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Dear Forums....

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Can we please have some moderation over Sig Images. I'm getting sick of having to AdBlock every 1 in 4 Users sigs because they have a 1mb+ gif in it.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
I PM everyone i see with such huge images.

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
Quite frankly, I'm all for completely disabling the use of in signatures.

(I've seen some forums where signature pictures are treated like avatars so they can restrict the size, but I don't think MyBB has that built in...)

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a user profile field to that effect.

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
net-cat said:
Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a user profile field to that effect.

There is a slot for it in the bio/info page, but nobody ever seems to use it :?

*edit* Is my sig pic to big? I dont even know...

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
Stratadrake said:
Right-click, "Image Properties" . . . 500kb. Wow. A dial-up modem somewhere just rolled over in its landfill.

over 250, guess I gotta find something to switch it out for :?

Bokracroc

Rather than just randomly switching gifs, learn how to compress a .gif. It's quite possible to get 2mb+ gif under 300kb and less without looking totally fucked up.

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
People can always uncheck "Display user signatures" in the Profile section too..

Stratadrake: They can put it in the "WWW" button in the profile/options.

Bokracroc

mrchris said:
People can always uncheck "Display user signatures" in the Profile section too..

So because that's an option it's Green Light for huge images?

IanKeith

I'm Not Regret
Disabling images in sigs is entirely too strict, but it's kind of hard to regulate sizes in things like that, especially with img tags. I don't know if I can see a foreseeable solution, except just looking out for people with effing huge images, and taking it on a case by case basis...

Rhainor

Rawr.
IanKeith said:
I don't know if I can see a foreseeable solution, except just looking out for people with effing huge images, and taking it on a case by case basis...

That's exactly what the current policy is. I personally have sent 6 or 7 sig-image-too-large notices since I became a mod -- although I don't go looking for 'em; if I come across a sig that looks too big, I check its properties against those specified in the rules. If it's too big, I send the user a polite PM informing them of the limitations and asking them to please change or remove the image in question. Everyone so far has complied with no arguments.

layown

i saw that i had a pretty large one .. now i've changed it .. my excuses .. i'm a wanker! ;)

hahah is this one still too big.. i'm not very technical..

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
This whole discussion reminds me of a board I frequented some years back. They didn't put a dimension limit on signature pictures, just a 50KB size limit. Then people started figuring out how to tweak compression, having huge images. (600x200, keeping in mind that this was back in the days of 640x480 and 800x600.)

So I put a JPEG version of this image in my signature. (It came in at about 47KB, if memory serves. I don't actually have the file anymore...) Shortly thereafter they implemented a dimension limit.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
It occured to me a few days ago to take a look at the properties of my beloved Sparta Dancer, finding his filesize to be a massive 600 something K, I took him down, and replaced him with +1 LOL'ing Asian Man, who is within all limits :)

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
Rilvor said:
It occured to me a few days ago to take a look at the properties of my beloved Sparta Dancer, finding his filesize to be a massive 600 something K, I took him down, and replaced him with +1 LOL'ing Asian Man, who is within all limits :)

MY sig pic is more annoying that YOURS! :p

Bokracroc

But LOLing Asian Man matches the rhythm/beat so many songs.