• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

JustAlex1997

Autumn the Squirrel
Yesterday, yet another "___IsOverParty" hashtag was trending on Twitter. Clicking on it (which I don't recommend doing) really hammered home how drunk with power these people are. With all of the smiling emojis and talk of hunting the person (and their followers) down wherever they go to report them, it became obvious that this is something they get off to.

We live in a world where an edgy joke from 2004 (almost two decades ago, so a person can change drastically in that time) can ruin your life if you have enough of a following for people to want you destroyed. Unchallenged power corrupts, so it's only a matter of time before even those without a following are targets (people already report others to their employers over political disagreements).

So, will cancel culture kill social media? Will people stick to using the internet for research, entertainment, etc. for their own safety ten years from now? Or will people bow before the mob and accept whatever punishment awaits them?

JustAlex1997

Autumn the Squirrel
Cancel culture only works on people who are willing to bend the knee.
True, but for how long? ProJared was able to prove his innocence and go about his channel as normal, but people want their targets deplatformed by the platforms themselves. They don't want their targets to have the option of defending themselves.

D

Deleted member 111470

So, will cancel culture kill social media? Will people stick to using the internet for research, entertainment, etc. for their own safety ten years from now? Or will people bow before the mob and accept whatever punishment awaits them?

I hope cancel culture gets canceled. I don't use twitter for many reasons, and I will certainly not use it nowadays after I've seen all these cases about doxing people. I don't know how things will be after 10 years, but for now the future doesn't look too bright.

Hopefully something is done to stop this witchhunting bullshit. It's pathetic and terrifying that something silly a kid (re)posts on twatter can be used to ruin their life. While we're on this topic, I'll link two vids from SomeOrdinaryGamers where he talks about some celebrity doxing kids, doxing the wrong people, etc.

His first vid and a follow up. Like, she's literally doxing kids - children who don't know any better, who probably don't know that what they're doing is bad. And that's fucked up.

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
True, but for how long? ProJared was able to prove his innocence and go about his channel as normal, but people want their targets deplatformed by the platforms themselves. They don't want their targets to have the option of defending themselves.
What is called "cancel culture" today has always been with us and will never go away it just has had different names. Only personal integrity and courage will see you through and always remember the diversify your business and save your money.

JustAlex1997

Autumn the Squirrel
I hope cancel culture gets canceled. I don't use twitter for many reasons, and I will certainly not use it nowadays after I've seen all these cases about doxing people. I don't know how things will be after 10 years, but for now the future doesn't look too bright.

Hopefully something is done to stop this witchhunting bullshit. It's pathetic and terrifying that something silly a kid (re)posts on twatter can be used to ruin their life. While we're on this topic, I'll link two vids from SomeOrdinaryGamers where he talks about some celebrity doxing kids, doxing the wrong people, etc.

His first vid and a follow up. Like, she's literally doxing kids - children who don't know any better, who probably don't know that what they're doing is bad. And that's fucked up.
I agree. And thank you for the links.

JustAlex1997

Autumn the Squirrel
What is called "cancel culture" today has always been with us and will never go away it just has had different names. Only personal integrity and courage will see you through and always remember the diversify your business and save your money.
I suppose so, but social media allows people to dig up dirt much easier than without it.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I don't know the specifics about the content in OP, in general twitter drama isn't really a solution to anything.

I don't think features of twitter being rubbish heralds the end of social media though. I do think we should be aware when we post online that anybody might be reading our posts including our bosses. That's just common sense though.

JustAlex1997

Autumn the Squirrel
I don't know the specifics about the content in OP, in general twitter drama isn't really a solution to anything.

I don't think features of twitter being rubbish heralds the end of social media though. I do think we should be aware when we post online that anybody might be reading our posts including our bosses. That's just common sense though.
It isn't just Twitter. Social media gives people the power to silence anyone they choose due to the mob mentality. Even fabricated drama can, at the very least, do a lot of damage as everybody wants to either capitalize on it or avoid guilt by association.

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.
"Cancel culture," a new term for me. I learned something new here today.

From the start, I have been a reluctant user of social media. I only use any social media, at all, for what little exposure I get for my work. Twitter was mentioned here; I have not once visited the site. I can say the same about most sites.

For my part, I believe that social media in some form will survive; as long as there is an infrastructure to support it.

Fallowfox

It isn't just Twitter. Social media gives people the power to silence anyone they choose due to the mob mentality. Even fabricated drama can, at the very least, do a lot of damage as everybody wants to either capitalize on it or avoid guilt by association.

In some ways. I'm uncertain that social media shaming silences people, because often those same people will go on to appear in the headlines (JK Rowling is a recent example), and their views are consequently broadcast more widely.

I certainly agree that social media shaming broadly isn't a good thing. I think it serves an emotional need in some people to feel part of a group, and enjoying the downfall of a prominent figure because it makes them feel better about themselves in a way.
Social media companies probably shouldn't encourage that (and could avoid it by moderating trending tags), but I think it drives activity on their networks, which means money.

D

Deleted member 134556

There is no denying that you have to be very careful of what you say on Twitter.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
If it's the case, then social media should have never been a thing

But I think social media is more like the vessel of an absolutely cancerous cancel culture that could otherwise grow on other media

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

I doubt it will kill social media. There will always be dumb people who get dragged through the mud, good people who get taken out of context and thrown under the bus, and paranoid people who don't give out their personal information on the internet and remain anonymous through fandoms (like the furry fandom for example).

I think that in the end there will always be a cancel culture and while I hate that, I don't see it ending the Goliath that is social media anytime soon. Too many people make money off of it, both the creators of platforms and the users.

If anything more creators will be polished and watching themselves which will suck because it will mean less genuine honesty, which is always lame to see, but in the end its their job. So they sort of have to do that unless they wanna go back to normal work. Even then- they might have trouble finding normal work. This is why things like "faceless youtubers" are such a good option for people who want a creative voice but don't want to destroy their image in the work place. If anything maybe things will become more faceless and honest and cancel culture will get more extreme, like hiring hackers or something.

Whatever is in our future...it's gonna be a more than a little fucked up, lol.

N

Nyro46

This is one of the many reasons why I recently dropped using Twitter.
My account was private for most of the time anyway so that's probably a good thing. It wasn't really a good platform for posting/viewing art anyway, too much stuff I didn't really want to see and random drama spawning in my feed.

LameFox

Every _isoverparty tag I've ever seen has been like 80% kpop spam, 15% people asking what happened, and maybe 5% (if any) actually trying to "cancel" anyone.

Fallowfox

I wish twitter would die but I can't see that happening in the near future. It truly brings out the worst in people. There's no critical thinking, just self-centred, holier-than-thou feelings and huge egos.

It's time we remembered what twitter is really for. Celebrity endorsements of corporate products. :}

P

Purplefuzz

That a twitter only thing, I stopped using currently since my feed is just 24/7 calls for action by furs over the most immature shit. When it called out they can't explain themselves with immature name calling or pretend it never happend by blocking you. They tried to cancel joji because his twitter fans only just found out he was filthy frank/pink guy, As a 1 min google couldn't solve?.

rekcerW

I never thought I'd say it, but I actually miss being stuck on some random person's Geocities site with terrible music playing in the background, underlined blue hypertext links, terrible fonts, and repeating backgrounds. Back before this insane spread of misinformation that is fucking destroying people's objective thought and driving us into the fucking ground. All from nonsense. Shit made up out of thin air. Fuck me.

I can't scroll through my Facebook feed without getting fucking pissed off anymore. The amount of complete nonsense that just spews around all the fucking time, and from people you'd never expect it from, it's fucking enraging.

I'd welcome anything that would destroy social media in a heartbeat. I'd go back to putting fucking stamps on letters and sending shit through the post.

Not goona be this though.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Facebook is shite. Everyone that adds me on there says we're friends, but never has the time to reply to any of my messages. If I were to delete based on actual conversation, I'd be left with 1. Apparently I'm a weirdo for wanting to maintain connections with people I actually talk with.

My ex insisted that opening a twitter account would be beneficial to my art, but then I eventually learned it was just tumblr2.0. People posting all kinds of shite that I don't care about, with no real system of how you get discovered. If people don't happen to be searching your hashtag as you make the upload, you'll probably never see it. EVER.

I don't think all social media die, but it's gonna be difficult to find one that isn't shitty. FB claims ownership of anything you upload. So I wouldn't recommend any big-name artist to upload there.

Also, if cancel culture killed social media, it would have to somehow kill itself when it reaches its 'end'. XD

P

Purplefuzz

Facebook is shite. Everyone that adds me on there says we're friends, but never has the time to reply to any of my messages. If I were to delete based on actual conversation, I'd be left with 1. Apparently I'm a weirdo for wanting to maintain connections with people I actually talk with.

That because many of the power users are ones who are glued to their phone which is 90% of social media. They avoid true conversation's or act that weird because they don't have the brain power beyond treating online as a fad. If this was <2010 they were too busy laughing at "nerds/neckbeards" having complex convo's on forum boards then.