• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Decapitated dog head lives on.

Schwimmwagen

That's kinda scary.

I wouldn't like it myself. I dunno, life seems like it'd be really boring without arms and not being able to eat things.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Well that made me feel quite ill. Surely it is fake? Can you post another source to confirm it?

My youtube suggestions are now full of horrible stuff...

I'm not sure how to respond to the bonus question. If I had a synthetic body that might be nice, however I would not feel comfortable at all if I knew my longevity came from quite frankensteinish treatment of animals [though I seem to be a-ok with medicines that have formerly been tested on animals! what a funny hypocrisy]

ausren

Is this a joke? Imagine being paralyzed from the neck-down. Relying on everyone for everything; that person may not treat you well, not give you what you need, may even be abusive. In a decapitated head's case, you wouldn't be able to eat, or speak or any of that. The only sense you might have is sight. Enjoy sitting on a shelf forever.

No, I don't think anyone would want that.

Nymphsy

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.co...cientists-kept-a-dogs-severed-head-alive/1315
http://archive.org/details/Experime1940
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiments_in_the_Revival_of_Organisms

Sources confirming that the video is real.

Edit:
Is this a joke? Imagine being paralyzed from the neck-down. Relying on everyone for everything; that person may not treat you well, not give you what you need, may even be abusive. In a decapitated head's case, you wouldn't be able to eat, or speak or any of that. The only sense you might have is sight. Enjoy sitting on a shelf forever.

No, I don't think anyone would want that.

A lot of people rely on everyone for everything, and don't do very much, they're usually located in elderly homes though.

Last edited:

Percy

o-o
I've seen this a while back. It's likely fake, but still pretty grotesque...

Schwimmwagen

Well that made me feel quite ill. Surely it is fake? Can you post another source to confirm it?

My youtube suggestions are now full of horrible stuff...

I'm not sure how to respond to the bonus question. If I had a synthetic body that might be nice, however I would not feel comfortable at all if I knew my longevity came from quite frankensteinish treatment of animals [though I seem to be a-ok with medicines that have formerly been tested on animals! what a funny hypocrisy]

Apparently it's real and done by this dude: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Demikhov

But yeah it seems like this is some pretty important development. Sort of. I don't think keeping a dog's head alive is valuable to anyone (not even the dog) but if a dude got cut in half by a chainsaw or something, he'd be able to be hooked up to this sort of life support system and if the technology allowed it, be part-machine.

Fallowfox

Anyone reminded of futurama?

Thanks for posting those links, Nymphsy. Although some of the sources on the wiki page lead to 404 errors.

I feel really really sick. I understand that pushing medical knowledge, especially that surrounding the rather recondite field of death, is a necessity...but it makes my stomach role over.

Out of interest, the articles on these scientists state that they undertook head transplants...I find it difficult to imagine their sophistication, since attaching complicated bits of nerve tissue is still a rather novel technique.

Last edited:

ausren

Edit:

A lot of people rely on everyone for everything, and don't do very much, they're usually located in elderly homes though.

Do you think those people are very happy? Have you personally had a similar experience? I think most elderly are happy to go on to the afterlife, or back into the Earth, or whatever they believe in, rather than stay alive while not really living. Have you ever heard a middle-aged person say "don't you dare put me in a home"? Yeah, they say that for a reason. Plenty of workers there are not the kindest to the elderly.

When our technology reaches a point where that head can be attached to a machine body and be controlled completely by thought, it might be appealing to someone to live that way. But you asked about living as a head. That's laughable to me.

Fallowfox

Seriously, people complain about stem cell research- a group of cells with no more mental sentiency than a bacterium, when this kind of thing went on.

I suppose a microscopic collection of human cells is awarded more integrity by some.

Ganjaman97

Feelin' Irie. ^_^
That's trippy as hell. I wouldn't.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Yeah that's a propaganda video, it's not real. The dogs head moves up and down, it wouldn't be able to do that if it wasn't attached to anything.

Fake.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I doubt the validity of that.

If it were possible that would be horrifying. Oh good I'm alive and unable to function from the neck down. Wonderful.

Kazooie

Crusader for Cute
Wikipedia said:
He conducted his dog head transplants during the 1950s, resulting in two-headed dogs, and this ultimately led to the head transplants in monkeys by Dr. Robert White, who was inspired by Demikhov's work.

Holy hell, that's both incredible and terrifying.

Nymphsy

Very interesting stuff being posted in this thread. I don't know why people doubt this is real, though. Various sources have been posted to confirm that the video is real. Also, if I had a cybernetic prosthetic body to accompany my head, then yes, I would live on. If not, eh, I guess it wouldn't be half bad. So, either way, I'd probably do it.

Mayonnaise

Off we go to the sea
I think this is incredible.

Hmm didn't this experiment lead to heart transplant or something like that?

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
On a related note Unit 731 experimented with human vivisection and reattaching limbs in novel places...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

enjoy

On a not so happy ending. As the war ended in Manchukuo, most of the officers/scientists associated with the unit tried to flee to Japan or South Korea to surrender to the Americans. (Those that couldnt make it were captured by the soviets and sent to gulags.) Once in the hands of the US, they managed to bargain their way out of imprisonment by giving the Americans vital research to their experiments that they committed for a ten year period. As a result, almost all were let go and led civilian lives in japan, latter becoming leaders in Japanese pharmaceutical companies.

Fallowfox

On a not so happy ending. As the war ended in Manchukuo, most of the officers/scientists associated with the unit tried to flee to Japan or South Korea to surrender to the Americans. (Those that couldnt make it were captured by the soviets and sent to gulags.) Once in the hands of the US, they managed to bargain their way out of imprisonment by giving the Americans vital research to their experiments that they committed for a ten year period. As a result, almost all were let go and led civilian lives in japan, latter becoming leaders in Japanese pharmaceutical companies.

We're left in a tricky situation. Allowing them to make use of their research may well have turned over enough knowledge to save substantially more lives in the long term.

Does this begin to justify the choice to let them lead civilian lives or by extension retrosepctively approve of their tests?

Nymphsy

Justified acts? No. However, there were benefits. That's pretty much how I view it. Wish I had more to say than that, but my view on it is pretty simple.