• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Deceased tag

Namrepus221

I don't know if anyone here really would want this...but I believe having a tag for those members of FA who have truely passed away would be appropriate.

I don't mean a person killing off their fursona or switching to another account, I mean the person who was the owner of the account has indeed died.

Having an account locked by a "Ban" just seems to me (and I would imagine to others as well) as very insulting to the individual as well as his friends and family.

Would this be possible in a future update to the site?

Aurali

Banned
Banned
I don't know if anyone here really would want this...but I believe having a tag for those members of FA who have truely passed away would be appropriate.

I don't mean a person killing off their fursona or switching to another account, I mean the person who was the owner of the account has indeed died.

Having an account locked by a "Ban" just seems to me (and I would imagine to others as well) as very insulting to the individual as well as his friends and family.

Would this be possible in a future update to the site?

The title Deceased might be a bit inappropriate too..
And I can see members using this when they fake being dead and complaining when they can't get their account back... Though it might be nice to have a date of death in the profile, maybe "Rest in Peace" ?

Adelio Altomar

Rat-Sized Superiority Complex
How would they know that the owner is indeed dead?

This, pretty much. Would you even have to go so far as to provide a birth certificate and pictures and such?

And even then, it could very well be you trying to fake your own death so you can run off with other people's money from commissions or something. >.>

Honestly, while with good thought in mind, considering what is on this site and what's part of this fandom, I don't think it's a good idea.

Edit: extra thought, this'd mainly just apply to some of the more famous and well renowned members of the fandom and not some of the peons like me.

Last edited:

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
I'm sure the dead people no longer existing/in heaven/nirvana/hell/whatever care. :c

Kangamutt

I'm not too sure about the "deceased" tag, but a little memorium on their profile would be nice. But as far as banning the account is concerned, I assume it's simply to lock it out so that hackers can't get into it and mess around.

vappykid5

Un-Official Cherry Bomb Maker
I'm very surprised that they "Ban" an account of a dead person, why the heck would they do that?

Last edited:

Adelio Altomar

Rat-Sized Superiority Complex
I'm not too sure about the "deceased" tag, but a little memorium on their profile would be nice. But as far as banning the account is concerned, I assume it's simply to lock it out so that hackers can't get into it and mess around.

Or perhaps in the background processes, the account is banned, but on the surface level where we immediately see everything, there's is said memorium and that status showing that person to be deceased, or such.

Kangamutt

Or perhaps in the background processes, the account is banned, but on the surface level where we immediately see everything, there's is said memorium and that status showing that person to be deceased, or such.

That's the best move, but personally I find "~Username (deceased)" to be kind of blunt and impersonal. But that's just me.

Namrepus221

Now that I think about it, I think a better question for this topic would be a "Should we have tag for the deceased".

Well the profile that spawned this question is located here:

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/aqb52

I, unfortuantely, wasn't a friend or aquaintance of this individual, but several people I know were and it just doesn't seem right to have the word "Banned' next to the name.

The account had to be closed somehow and as I understand it FA has no way of closing an account other than a Ban.

Yes I do believe there are idiots out there who would attempt to abuse this as a form of attention whoring, but I think that if safeguards were in place to prevent such a thing from happening, then it could work.

KittMouri

=^_^=
I responded to this issue as well. In this case, action has been taken on the deceased's account and it has been titled "banned". I fully understand that the account is suspended to prevent it from being hacked and I completely agree, but the title is what people find unsettling. Since it can become labeled as one thing, can we not simply label it something more appropriate, such as Rest In Peace or Gone But Not Forgotten or any other thing other than that that it bears currently :(

Bittertooth

I think there should just be a way of knowing when the user was last active so that we can at least tell if the user—dead or alive—doesn't use the site anymore. I wouldn't want to be informed that a member has actually died, but I would like to know if a member is inactive.

Ty Vulpine

I think there should just be a way of knowing when the user was last active so that we can at least tell if the user—dead or alive—doesn't use the site anymore. I wouldn't want to be informed that a member has actually died, but I would like to know if a member is inactive.

Generally, you can do that by looking at how long ago their last submission/journal entry was.

tsawolf

This is my opinion, not an official message from the FurAffinity administrative staff.

I have some concerns about titling a user "dead." Unless we have verification that an account holder is the actual account holder, and that they are dead....

Either way, a ban is simpler. Faking ones death is a bannable offence, and we ban accounts of users who are actually deceased. That way, we don't have to make the determination whether they are actually dead or not, because the result is the same.

I know that may seem callous, but I think there are real concerns about us being able to make that sort of determination officially.

T

TakeWalker

This is my opinion, not an official message from the FurAffinity administrative staff.

I have some concerns about titling a user "dead." Unless we have verification that an account holder is the actual account holder, and that they are dead....

Either way, a ban is simpler. Faking ones death is a bannable offence, and we ban accounts of users who are actually deceased. That way, we don't have to make the determination whether they are actually dead or not, because the result is the same.

I know that may seem callous, but I think there are real concerns about us being able to make that sort of determination officially.

This practice makes sense now. You're right, even if an obituary was provided, the person's online identity isn't establishable.

Granted, a little "deceased" notice could be added into the user info. That way, if they're dead, they're dead, and if they're not, too fucking bad, they're dead too. :V