• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Demotivated? Feel You are bad at art?

Rorrum

Furry Artist
I feel like everyone could stand to have a peek at this graph, it has help me a LOT in my artistic persuits and I wish I had seen it sooner!!
CminEuMXgAAfSrZ.jpg

theawakening

The lazy fox... what else?
Banned
Why yes, I kind of suck at art but why would I need criticism for it? I don't need better talent sorry I'm just saying

Julen

✮ Banter Squad Member ✮
yeah that graph is cool and all

I still feel like I'm not that good anyways

and probably will stay that way.

which will either lead me to pursue my wishes of getting good

or crippling depression

one of those two

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I've basically given up on drawing at this point. My schedule is too busy and my workspace too small. It's easier to focus on other hobbies like music or gaming.

Rorrum

Furry Artist
I've basically given up on drawing at this point. My schedule is too busy and my workspace too small. It's easier to focus on other hobbies like music or gaming.

Thats fair! It's not for everyone. The cool thing about this graph is that it can be applied to almost any skill or hobby! My boyfriend does music too! Awesome hobby

Fiorabeast

Always ill as hell
Another thing I read somewhere is thinking about yourself as being in one of those RPG games but with art:

You're the main (artist) character and your goal is to get good so you go and defeat enemies (aka tackling those difficult art subjects, etc) to get exp from.
For example, I got done with a free art request of something I never have done before. I do a few practice gestures and some rough sketches (maybe they're 5 or 10 exp each) to get a feel and some knowledge on it. Starting and finishing it soon while learning how the design works and stuff earned me about 45 or 50 exp because I learned a few things from this. Then I reward myself as if I defeated a boss and cleared it (in this case, ice cream!).

Then suddenly, you aren't improving as fast as you want or something is blocking you and your goal. The reason for the stop in the Art Exp? Your goal to level 50 and above just got harder and a little more slower to get to (raise your hand if you are level 100+ in a game you've been in for a VERY long time and have seen the EXP trickle slowly to get to the next level!) Maybe there is some skill that you haven't unlocked yet or can level up on? Even just drawing little doodles earns you some exp.
And so on and so forth.

I mean, thinking like this actually helped me I realized that it DOES sound similar to games...

Rorrum

Furry Artist
Another thing I read somewhere is thinking about yourself as being in one of those RPG games but with art:

You're the main (artist) character and your goal is to get good so you go and defeat enemies (aka tackling those difficult art subjects, etc) to get exp from.
For example, I got done with a free art request of something I never have done before. I do a few practice gestures and some rough sketches (maybe they're 5 or 10 exp each) to get a feel and some knowledge on it. Starting and finishing it soon while learning how the design works and stuff earned me about 45 or 50 exp because I learned a few things from this. Then I reward myself as if I defeated a boss and cleared it (in this case, ice cream!).

Then suddenly, you aren't improving as fast as you want or something is blocking you and your goal. The reason for the stop in the Art Exp? Your goal to level 50 and above just got harder and a little more slower to get to (raise your hand if you are level 100+ in a game you've been in for a VERY long time and have seen the EXP trickle slowly to get to the next level!) Maybe there is some skill that you haven't unlocked yet or can level up on? Even just drawing little doodles earns you some exp.
And so on and so forth.

I mean, thinking like this actually helped me I realized that it DOES sound similar to games...

Haha I love that analogy! Very fun! I can relate, I feel like I did all the "easy" exp work and now I have to work EXTRA hard to level up orz

Z

Zamietka

...why am I so bad at understanding graphs
It kinda makes sense but it also makes me a little sad because it means when I'm actually happy with my drawings they are most likely not as good as I think they are XD
I think looking at the horror of the drawings I made when I was 11 is more motivating, at least I can see the improvement from there

D

Deleted member 111470

I have decided to put this theory to the test, that hard work and grinding beats talent. I will try to the best of my ability and time available, to draw my fursona every day for as long as I can.
I started 3 days ago. So I guess I'll just have to keep it up and see if it holds any truth, or it is in fact something you're born with and can't develop through doing.

Rorrum

Furry Artist
...why am I so bad at understanding graphs
It kinda makes sense but it also makes me a little sad because it means when I'm actually happy with my drawings they are most likely not as good as I think they are XD
I think looking at the horror of the drawings I made when I was 11 is more motivating, at least I can see the improvement from there

Untrue! They are as good as you think they are! And if you previously were unhappy with your skill level and you are now, it means you are now meeting your higher expectations. There is never a "max level" you can reach in art, there is always going to be room to improve!

Rorrum

Furry Artist
I have decided to put this theory to the test, that hard work and grinding beats talent. I will try to the best of my ability and time available, to draw my fursona every day for as long as I can.
I started 3 days ago. So I guess I'll just have to keep it up and see if it holds any truth, or it is in fact something you're born with and can't develop through doing.

I firmly believe it is mostly if not all skill. When I started drawing, I had no "talent" that made me better than anyone else starting out!

Kopatropa

Drawing seriously since 2013
I don’t do art as much as I want to because I work my ass off on a piece and am proud of it then I post it online and get no likes and no comments so I’m like wtf is the point of making art if no one gives a shit about it
So it's not fun for you if other people don't like it?

With the internet oversaturated with artists, getting attention requires at least one of two things: Fanart and sex. Skill? Not necessarily. People are picky choosy like that.

Cliche Alert: If art is something you love, you'd do it regardless. People will HAVE to care eventually.

Rorrum

Furry Artist
I don’t do art as much as I want to because I work my ass off on a piece and am proud of it then I post it online and get no likes and no comments so I’m like wtf is the point of making art if no one gives a shit about it

Sorry I didnt see your comment right away!
The internet is a very big place with a LOT of people vying for the attention of viewers. I recommend making some artist friends (like everyone on this thread, myself included!) Whom you can share your art with, instead of relying on a bunch of strangers to judge your art, at least as a good starting point!

DecentBadger

Always looking for that raw aesthetic~
Thanks. I sometimes look at my old work and notice how much more detailed it was than my current stuff, but tbh I think I just need to put in
as much effort as I did when I was 22. However, I understand anatomy a little bit better than I did a few years ago.

Rorrum

Furry Artist
Thanks. I sometimes look at my old work and notice how much more detailed it was than my current stuff, but tbh I think I just need to put in
as much effort as I did when I was 22. However, I understand anatomy a little bit better than I did a few years ago.

Yeah! Art is like working out yknow? If you don't exercise certain parts they can fall behind. I'm in the same boat, my anatomy has improved but my technical skill has gone up a lot, and I really need to work on backgrounds and more dynamic poses, maybe we can do an art trade some time and practice!

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
My Tip: Don't listen to anyone who preaches about anatomical accuracy in hobbyist artwork... It's just meant to be fun. Even if it's crappy but you still enjoy doing it, nobody has the right to tell you to stop. It's not like they needed to pay an entry fee to an art gallery to look at it. Most of the time they just clicked on a link in deviantart or FA. Big whoop, a few seconds of their life lost forever, woe is them.

Kopatropa

Drawing seriously since 2013
My Tip: Don't listen to anyone who preaches about anatomical accuracy in hobbyist artwork... It's just meant to be fun. Even if it's crappy but you still enjoy doing it, nobody has the right to tell you to stop. It's not like they needed to pay an entry fee to an art gallery to look at it. Most of the time they just clicked on a link in deviantart or FA. Big whoop, a few seconds of their life lost forever, woe is them.
Definitely agree! Not every artist is ambitious, not every artist takes art seriously. Some artists just wanna have fun with it and do what makes them happy, and that's okay. Improvement isn't mandatory. If you're a hobbyist doing it for pleasure and someone has an issue with how you draw something, that's their problem and they should keep it to themselves.

Rorrum

Furry Artist

Of course yeah!! If you are making art to please yourself, your standards might not be the same as other people's. And in the end YOU need to be happy with your standards for your work because YOU are the one creating it!