• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Demotivated? Feel You are bad at art?

Hopei

What bring on art block for me's more a feeling of "I don't know enough about the subject to draw it" rather than thinking about how my art sucks, at least from the second point there's improvements to be made and a direction to go, while the first point could be endless. That's why I'll bring up anatomy or studying from refs if someone's asked for ways to improve or critiques, It's very hard to tell what angle they're coming from otherwise : P

Nice chart, I can say that time/quality of art follows a similar graph.
First ones are always slower, second is more efficient but tends to be looser, third is borderline abstract but the most technically proficient.

zenmaldita

always hungry
AH! I've been looking for this graph.
Yeah it's a cycle. My way of countering it is to always try to draw something in a way I've never done before. The more ambitious the better. After pulling it off, you will have skill > sight and you'll feel real good cos your ability to criticize your own work is still catching up. When I finished Chairman www.furaffinity.net: Chairman by zenmaldita I felt great. However after a few hours later I begin to spot my mistakes, things I could've done better etc.

Kopatropa

Drawing seriously since 2013
Yeah it's a cycle. My way of countering it is to always try to draw something in a way I've never done before. The more ambitious the better. After pulling it off, you will have skill > sight and you'll feel real good cos your ability to criticize your own work is still catching up. When I finished Chairman www.furaffinity.net: Chairman by zenmaldita I felt great. However after a few hours later I begin to spot my mistakes, things I could've done better etc.
That's pretty hard for me. I personally can't stand a bad drawing, so after I make one, I never look at it again. To avoid mistakes, I look at other's art instead of going back to my previous art.

Marcl

The Honey Fox
A huge blockage for me that kept me from drawing was that the thing I could draw won't look as good as I imagined it to be. I finally grew out of this way of thinking - if I won't practice, I won't be better. I don't have to replicate someone else's style I can do some stuff my way, even if it's not perfect.

Another thing to help myself is to do some practices on stuff I don't feel good at. I swear, notes from one lectures I had are filled with my practices on human nose and ears.

Rorrum

Furry Artist
A huge blockage for me that kept me from drawing was that the thing I could draw won't look as good as I imagined it to be. I finally grew out of this way of thinking - if I won't practice, I won't be better. I don't have to replicate someone else's style I can do some stuff my way, even if it's not perfect.

Another thing to help myself is to do some practices on stuff I don't feel good at. I swear, notes from one lectures I had are filled with my practices on human nose and ears.

Exactly, even if your art didnt turn out perfect or didnt turn out the way you imagined it, you still learned something, and when you can see where you need improvement then it's just a matter of practicing! Art is a physical and mental skill, you have to have the knowledge to improve and the muscle memory as well!

Rorrum

Furry Artist

Thats an AMAZING piece!! Well done and you are so right, going out of your comfort zone, doing research on a new lighting/perspective/fabric/outfit/animal ANYTHING will give you heaps of new experience!

Z

ZeroVoidTime

Well if it makes you feel better here is my first sketch of anything for a while:
IMG_0035 (4).JPG
This is my first try! :D

Solarflare420

I get high cuz I’m too fat to fly
So it's not fun for you if other people don't like it?

With the internet oversaturated with artists, getting attention requires at least one of two things: Fanart and sex. Skill? Not necessarily. People are picky choosy like that.

Cliche Alert: If art is something you love, you'd do it regardless. People will HAVE to care eventually.
That’s the only problem I do make fan art and sex and I still get nothing

Solarflare420

I get high cuz I’m too fat to fly
Sorry I didnt see your comment right away!
The internet is a very big place with a LOT of people vying for the attention of viewers. I recommend making some artist friends (like everyone on this thread, myself included!) Whom you can share your art with, instead of relying on a bunch of strangers to judge your art, at least as a good starting point!
Haha I’ve been trying to make artist friends too and no one really seems interested.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I wonder whether the idea that there is a cycle of improving art ability and improving ability to discern flaws in pieces of art is true.
There are a lot of art critics who are good at discerning good from bad art, but who themselves have little artistic ability.

Rorrum

Furry Artist
Haha I’ve been trying to make artist friends too and no one really seems interested.

Hey! You might not have seen my comment, but I'd be down to see your art! If you put yourself down you're putting up hurdles that you will have to overcome later! |It is better to try and fail than to give up for sure

Rorrum

Furry Artist
I wonder whether the idea that there is a cycle of improving art ability and improving ability to discern flaws in pieces of art is true.
There are a lot of art critics who are good at discerning good from bad art, but who themselves have little artistic ability.

Art like many hobbies and skills requires both physical AND mental education. You can be an expert in proper fencing technique but not be a professional fencer, for example. In order to improve your OWN artistic ability, physical practice is not just recommended but required!

Marcl

The Honey Fox
Well if it makes you feel better here is my first sketch of anything for a while:
This is my first try! :D
You're aware that some modernist cartoons or comics could be using such style?

Z

ZeroVoidTime

You're aware that some modernist cartoons or comics could be using such style?
Good point! It has been awhile since I studied art, and it is the first I have heard of this term. (Though most of the art was more classic than modern pieces, but that is because it was public school education for me mostly. :D)