• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Describe Your Main Menu

DragonMaster21

The Mistbinder
honestly don't know where to put this, so I'm going to put it here. Basically, if you were to create a video game, what would the design, background music, and aesthetic of the game's main menu be?

This is more of a writing thing, but it's something I've been thinking about for a while.

DragonMaster21

The Mistbinder
Nice.

I've been thinking about mine for a while.

For a videogame adaptation of my Zootopia fanfiction, Zootopia: Tragic Miracle, the main menu's theme would be Sapphire's cover of Heaven, from Persona 4. (You can find it on YouTube or Spotify)

The animation would begin with an image of the main character sitting on his own at an empty table, wearing a fancy tuxedo but looking down towards the floor, dejected, with a blurred background. As the music starts, the scene around him clears, revealing a dance with all of the good characters and members of the ZPD dancing to the title song.

When Sapphire starts singing, the camera follows the characters from the movie dancing. The lighting is subdued. Once Ashe begins his part, the camera focuses back on the MC. As he sings his last line, the MC looks up.

Standing there are the main characters that the MC currently has in the party. (Up to 6). They seem to invite him to dance along with them. The lighting gradually becomes warmer and warmer as the MC dances along his friends to the bittersweet music, until at the end of the song, where the MC finally has a full smile. As Sapphire sings her last line, the Camera pans upwards, shifting towards the chandelier. A white dove seems to flutter from the lights, joining the Main Title as it fades in, becoming surrounding by a Shattered Crystal motif.

Each option is attributed to a button on the remote, denoted at the bottom of the screen so as to not intrude on the Main Menu's animation.

I'd say that, in general, a good main menu would emphasize the look and feel of a game. With the main theme playing in the background, or some suitable ambience or something. Button presses would play a distinctive sound when you press them and all that. Fancy transitions between screens are fine, but not really needed. Some story driven games like LIMBO don't even start you with a main menu, they just drop you into the game and give you all the options you need within the pause menu.
Personally, I would have a menu that shows some environment that has very little going on in it for the background, but it changes in theme with the player's progression through the game, like Portal 2. Different stages would change it's images, sounds, and overall presentation. It could give a nice visual recap of where the player left off without being too distracting or wordy.
What I would want to avoid is repetition. Seeing the animations for a character loop for the billionth time (like in Overwatch), or the same video clip over and over again in the background is tiresome. To me at least.
I think that intro sequence would be good for the first time after loading the game, or if it masked the loading screen itself or something.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
It’s a really clean menu sure but it’s also one of those where you can click extra things and get lore facts and such. It cycles through so much that you could spend hours just on the main menu if you wanted.

That way i can have a lore dump with it being totally optional.

DragonMaster21

The Mistbinder
It’s a really clean menu sure but it’s also one of those where you can click extra things and get lore facts and such. It cycles through so much that you could spend hours just on the main menu if you wanted.

That way i can have a lore dump with it being totally optional.
THIS.

Also, in my game, the main character's party members would effect how the dancing bit goes, and which characters he would dance with. The maximum amount he can have in his main party at one time is six, but there are many other reserves that he can choose from. Basically, the game would function with something rather like a guild system. Furthermore, every possible party member has a Social Link associated with them. The ones who are in your main party will have things progress automatically. However, the player can also choose to spend time with the other possible party members, which would in turn increase the strength of related Shards when he creates them. It would also help level them so that the player can have them in the party later on.

(This is a mass crossover, BTW. It takes inspiration and characters from a bit of everything. Shards are sort of like personas, but each one has its own specific power that it grants. For example, the MC's first shard is Motus, which allows him to use telekinesis, but only telekinesis.)