• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Desperately need feedback or advice about my 3d models

Kerosinner

Since once I spend my free time drawing furry models in Blender and it bothers me. I`m extremely embarrassed to show this stuff to anybody as it is NSFW and quite low on quality. But without a propper feedback I feel that I make no progress and other artists` models have just unreachable level of quality. In addition after a long work on a single model my perception gets distorted it looks just awesome to me. I realized this after opening my first model and getting a thick wave of cringe from it. Here`s my page with least ceingy renders https://www.furaffinity.net/user/kerosinner/ . I`m open to any coments and critique

marshmellerditty

wow from the way you were talking i thought your models were gonna look terrible but they look awesome dude! very impressive stuff. i haven't done much 3d but the few attempts i've made didn't look nearly as good as yours. if i had to nitpick, i would say the nostrils on the horse are too small and the dragon's feet don't look very convincing, i would make the toes differing lengths, maybe look up some reference for dragon feet/claws. but those are very minor details, your anatomy/proportions are great.

i actually think your grasp of anatomy is strong enough that you should focus on the lighting/background for the final shots. experiment with different colors and types of lighting and think about the composition of the image, try to use light/value to visually separate the subject from the background (adding a rim light works wonders; also google atmospheric perspective) and direct the eye of the viewer to the focal point. treat it like you're taking a photograph. if you up your lighting/presentation game i think it'll take your work to the next level.

overall, great work! keep it up :)

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I don't like the eyes. Not sure if you are using an alt or if it's a coincidence the eyes look like a few other 3D art ive seen.

They look flat and lifeless. And I know they're technically not animated and are without an environment, but... Eh.

Unfortunately I can't offer technical advice. Its been years since I've used this stuff and I just had fun free sculpting. Never got around to adding texture/color.

Kerosinner

I don't like the eyes. Not sure if you are using an alt or if it's a coincidence the eyes look like a few other 3D art ive seen.

They look flat and lifeless. And I know they're technically not animated and are without an environment, but... Eh.

Unfortunately I can't offer technical advice. Its been years since I've used this stuff and I just had fun free sculpting. Never got around to adding texture/color.
I agree, they technically look like eyes but something is off. Maybe it`s eye expression? One of my thoughts was that in default pose eyes are too wide open. To rig these models Rigify was used. It has a ready face metarig for human models and it`s easy do mess up when stretching it on a furry character. Here is how I did it in the most recent model

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    844.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    786.9 KB · Views: 17

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I agree, they technically look like eyes but something is off. Maybe it`s eye expression? One of my thoughts was that in default pose eyes are too wide open. To rig these models Rigify was used. It has a ready face metarig for human models and it`s easy do mess up when stretching it on a furry character. Here is how I did it in the most recent model

Thank you for showing me! I think that might be it. The eyes definitely look a lot more natural!

Neothoren

I'm not a 3D artist myself, but I think I can give some feedback for your models. Te sculpting part is magnificent as it is, I only think that the texturing can be further improved. As I'm not a 3D artist the best I can suggest you it's to check some advanced texturing techniques that should give you models that extra mile.

Here is one video that I view about texturing characters. I know they are human characters, but it may help to use the techniques for texturing, roughness maps and other things. There are other videos of this channel that show other processes for character design (Link to Youtube playlist). Also, I found a tutorials to procedurally generate eye textures (Link to youtube video). This may help you to improve the character eyes even more.

Hope this helps

Kerosinner

I'm not a 3D artist myself, but I think I can give some feedback for your models. Te sculpting part is magnificent as it is, I only think that the texturing can be further improved. As I'm not a 3D artist the best I can suggest you it's to check some advanced texturing techniques that should give you models that extra mile.

Here is one video that I view about texturing characters. I know they are human characters, but it may help to use the techniques for texturing, roughness maps and other things. There are other videos of this channel that show other processes for character design (Link to Youtube playlist). Also, I found a tutorials to procedurally generate eye textures (Link to youtube video). This may help you to improve the character eyes even more.

Hope this helps
Ah yes, textures is what I need so thanks for a great link! Apparently I got used to my workflow in CAD when you have a model on a grey background which is done when geometry is fine.
For eyes I used that exact tutorial. Technically I succeeded but it still needs adjustment of eyes and body for a greater overall look.