• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

DeviantArt Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShinyFloof

Ok so I had a terrible experience on DA and it's really changed my view of the site and it's community. About a month ago, I drew a anthro rabbit with a unicorn horn and fluffy equine tail and, just because ONE trait just so happened to look like their species, another deviant come after me for having a similar character. Yep. I'm not talking about a minor disagreement either, I'm talking about I got 30+ hate comments and even got called a "butt hurt cyber bully" by someone I don't even ****ing know because my drawing looked like the one they drew. I got flamed to hell and back, and even a rant video done on me all because I pointed out that a rabbit raccoon hybrid isn't original enough to be a closed species. Keep in mind that's not even what I drew. Mine was a rabbit UNICORN hybrid. They really. tried to make me look like a horrible person. I hate this girl. She's a bitch. I even got threatened with suicide and forced to make a public apology, not to mention she called out my species in the ref for hers and still refuses to take that passive aggressive crap out of the ref. All. Because. I. Drew. Something. Similar.

I don't know what to do, I really wanna leave DA because of this, not so much because of stupid restrictions, but because of the light they painted me in, and half of DAs community is naive enough to believe it. Don't attack this person please, it's just I don't think I should be treated like a bully and art thief for making a similar character.

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
DA can be a bit crazy...but don't let someone like that hurt you or make you not want to continue being on there...as long as you didn't copy her character or use the art you're in the ok. Its literally taking 2 known creatures and morphing them....they do not have title on that creature...maybe if they invented this random species it may be different but a rabbit with unicorn features...like come on now...just maintain your stance and inform them that you did not copy their character and that the features are different..you did not look up their art and copy it...your most likely idea was "hey i like rabbits and unicorns and lets combine them" BAM....
I'm sorry you have to go through that....people can be crazy on the internet

A

ACaracalFromWork

oh my gosh...
Some of the stuff that happens on the internet, poeple need to learn to chill and hug
sorry, that has happened to you.

S

ShinyFloof

DA can be a bit crazy...but don't let someone like that hurt you or make you not want to continue being on there...as long as you didn't copy her character or use the art you're in the ok. Its literally taking 2 known creatures and morphing them....they do not have title on that creature...maybe if they invented this random species it may be different but a rabbit with unicorn features...like come on now...just maintain your stance and inform them that you did not copy their character and that the features are different..you did not look up their art and copy it...your most likely idea was "hey i like rabbits and unicorns and lets combine them" BAM....
I'm sorry you have to go through that....people can be crazy on the internet

That was exactly my idea to be honest. I am in the MLP fandom and wanted to make a rabbit unicorn hybrid and came up with my OCs. They looked nothing alike, both in design and color palette but her and her girlfriend flipped over it anyway. I CALMLY told her that you cannot mash together two real animals and tell others they're not allowed to make their own without paying you, and that's when she said I was harassing her and had her friend make a rant video on me and basically tell others they shouldn't be friends with me because I'm a "bully"

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
That was exactly my idea to be honest. I am in the MLP fandom and wanted to make a rabbit unicorn hybrid and came up with my OCs. They looked nothing alike, both in design and color palette but her and her girlfriend flipped over it anyway. I CALMLY told her that you cannot mash together two real animals and tell others they're not allowed to make their own without paying you, and that's when she said I was harassing her and had her friend make a rant video on me and basically tell others they shouldn't be friends with me because I'm a "bully"

ahhh i see...honestly its not your fault. its that person being sensitive and ridiculous....

S

ShinyFloof

ahhh i see...honestly its not your fault. its that person being sensitive and ridiculous....

Exactly. Now I have at least five people who think I'm the most horrible person in the world because of this. Not only was that rant video unnessecery, but the creator had the audacity to tag me in it. Ridiculous and uncalled for. I won't stand for this kind of behavior.

GreenZone

Banned
Banned

i never got this about either fandoms why is everything a popularity contest/for monetary gain

didn't that furry make that species (telephone) and just said "use it knock yourself out" that's how things should be

S

ShinyFloof

i never got this about either fandoms why is everything a popularity contest/for monetary gain

didn't that furry make that species (telephone) and just said "use it knock yourself out" that's how things should be

Are you talking about Dutch Angel Dragons? Yeah those are an open species, there are rules for making your own but you can do so without paying for an MYO or adopt or whatever. I don't understand why everyone is so money/power hungry imo

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
TBH DA itself isnt a bad place because of two nutjons and their small cult following demonizing you, but I can understand why that might want you to leave.

Honestly they must be pretty insane to give that much of a fuck about it, I'd block them and keep drawing the thing just because I'd like to see them try to sue me for some fake copyright infringement on a made up thing that is pretty generic and obvious to make by anyones standards. But then again youre probably right for not dwelling on the issue, anyways.

WolfNightV4X1

Sergals are the same way

Tbh closed species are pretty stupid unless they paid a company and are making legit monetary gain off of the concept anyone can use it, it's not theirs. I mean even with big companies like pokemon and skyrim or whatever that doesnt stop people from making their own khajeets or pikachus or whatever.

The ONLY exception that would make it shitty is if it was a small business that is trying to profit off a story, you take their idea and become more successful with it, or if you steal their idea word for word and keep every single trait except maybe one to justify a new species and slap a new name on and pretend it's yours. Its not stealing if its a generic as fuck looking creature which anyone could incidentally make.

S

ShinyFloof

I think you're overreacting a bit, just like your detractors in this situation. It's not like I'm defending their actions (in fact, creating a rant video over imaginary rabbit/racoon hybrid is something I can add to my list of dumbest things to waste time on), but it's not like your reputation is damaged by that or something, and as long as you're not getting report-flooded (which can inflict some damage and requires action, but not towards weird flock of people, but towards administration of the site to prove said reports as false), there's nothing stopping you from just ignoring the situation and doing your own thing until the whole mess settles down.

Really, I got myself into similar situation after having a debate with one particularly toxic folk on FA - the guy just sent angry fans to attack me, but since I was under impenetrable defense of "not really giving a damn", they backed off after a day of trying to flood my shoutbox and notes. An unpleasant situation, but not a life-changing one. I think you're only making life harder for yourself by reacting to it the way you did (with all the public apologies and disillusioned rants).

Well at least that guy had a bit more sense than these folk. When the person called out my OC in the ref, then and their gf flat out threatened to block evade if I blocked her and continued drawing what I want. Someone else who defended them did too and threatened to spam my notes with the same message about me being "a jerk". I'm pretty sure they blocked me, and I haven't heard from either one since. I was literally getting flooded with messages saying I was driving them to suicide and making a public apology was the only way to make it stop, I was getting called every name in the book over this. What made it worse was some idiots from Furvilla decided to attack her and send death threats, which even though she was being unreasonable, she didn't deserve. I never told them to do that, I don't send others to attack people.

I'm afraid someone from DA will see this and start it back up, and my reputation will be damaged. I've never been terribly popular, but there are some decent people on there I like and don't want them to see me differently because of some drama, even though I did nothing wrong per se.

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
Wait wtf? You aren't allowed to draw a species if someone else thought of it first? Are people seriously standing behind this?

Some people are very adamant that they created a species and therefore creating a similar species is theft...it may be possible they created some unknown species...unless its copyrighted its really out of their control. In my personal opinion if they are not the same presentation of said species they are not the same...Imagine if someone tried to say that about a wolf or fox character....like literally if you had a black wolf and all these people come up and say "HOW DARE YOU THATS MY CHARACTER"....people are so quick to attack...

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
Well at least that guy had a bit more sense than these folk. When the person called out my OC in the ref, then and their gf flat out threatened to block evade if I blocked her and continued drawing what I want. Someone else who defended them did too and threatened to spam my notes with the same message about me being "a jerk". I'm pretty sure they blocked me, and I haven't heard from either one since. I was literally getting flooded with messages saying I was driving them to suicide and making a public apology was the only way to make it stop, I was getting called every name in the book over this. What made it worse was some idiots from Furvilla decided to attack her and send death threats, which even though she was being unreasonable, she didn't deserve. I never told them to do that, I don't send others to attack people.

I'm afraid someone from DA will see this and start it back up, and my reputation will be damaged. I've never been terribly popular, but there are some decent people on there I like and don't want them to see me differently because of some drama, even though I did nothing wrong per se.

Screen shot and stand by your words...if you behaved in a calm manner you have nothing to fear...theyre making blank threats otherwise and its best to keep people like that out of your life. You take screen shots it can safe your own butt...it will show exactly what happened....honestly that's what i would do if someone threatened me like that.

S

ShinyFloof

Screen shot and stand by your words...if you behaved in a calm manner you have nothing to fear...theyre making blank threats otherwise and its best to keep people like that out of your life. You take screen shots it can safe your own butt...it will show exactly what happened....honestly that's what i would do if someone threatened me like that.

Well I did hide my comment on one deviation, someone else drew a rabbit/raccoon hybrid and I pointed out someone tried to close them and said it was asinine to do so. The person who drew it even agreed wth me. That's almost exactly what I said. It wasn't meant to be rude or insulting at all. They were also singling me out for some reason, there were others who drew the same thing yet I got singled out and attacked. Not fair really.

Dongding

The sheep
Some people are very adamant that they created a species and therefore creating a similar species is theft...it may be possible they created some unknown species...unless its copyrighted its really out of their control.

I almost literally don't believe that. Even YCHs I found a little bit obnoxious; not to mention adoptables. Used to be if you were willing to pay for something you wanted to see, that's what you would get as the end result by the person you paid to do it. It's fine setting up preordained commissions for people to pick out and pay for but it always seemed a little impersonal to me. Obviously I'm not taking a stab at anyone doing these sorts of things. I'm just not used to it and I'm old fashioned I guess.

How could someone possibly think they have the right to tell others what they can and can't create for their own purposes using nothing but their imagination? Especially something as vague as a mix of 2 species, which all sort of people have been doing from the moment they're capable of coherent thought from a young age. Not only that, but it's taking place in a community where people create imaginary animals on a fairly regular basis. It's lunacy.

I could understand plagiarism of a specific character with unique features, but you'd have to be able to reasonably tell that it was indeed plagiarized.

S

ShinyFloof

I almost literally don't believe that. Even YCHs I found a little bit obnoxious; not to mention adoptables. Used to be if you were willing to pay for something you wanted to see, that's what you would get as the end result by the person you paid to do it. It's fine setting up preordained commissions for people to pick out and pay for but it always seemed a little impersonal to me. Obviously I'm not taking a stab at anyone doing these sorts of things. I'm just not used to it and I'm old fashioned I guess.

How could someone possibly think they have the right to tell others what they can and can't create for their own purposes using nothing but their imagination? Especially something as vague as a mix of 2 species, which all sort of people have been doing from the moment they're capable of coherent thought from a young age. Not only that, but it's taking place in a community where people create imaginary animals on a fairly regular basis. It's lunacy.

I could understand plagiarism of a specific character with unique features, but you'd have to be able to reasonably tell that it was indeed plagiarized.

True. Take Pikachu for example. Pikachu has a very well known and unique design, sure he's based on a mouse but he looks nothing like one. If someone were to recolor Pikachu, or changing very little to make it unique, slapping on another name and trying to claim it as their own creation, yeah that would indeed be plagiarism. But simply drawing a mix of two animals, a combination of a real animal and mythical creature, or hybrid of two mythical creatures and saying you're the only one who can draw that? Nah,

Dongding

The sheep
I actually visited this thread and made an uneducated suggestion in it for the topic poster. At the time (and actually I still am 99% umfamiliar with the term) the topic title confused me.

forums.furaffinity.net: Looking for (Semi-)Open Species

Is "open species" fair game as far as these people who are hoarding species are concerned? Obviously making the term "closed species" off limits in their minds?

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
I actually visited this thread and made an uneducated suggestion in it for the topic poster. At the time (and actually I still am 99% umfamiliar with the term) the topic title confused me.

forums.furaffinity.net: Looking for (Semi-)Open Species

Is "open species" fair game as far as these people who are hoarding species are concerned? Obviously making the term "closed species" off limits in their minds?
its ok im lost...i don't know what that means....i don't understand what adoptables are either

Dongding

The sheep
Yeah I know right? People make up a character and sell it to someone to "adopt" as their very own OC. It's fine but I also feel (from the perspective of someone who's debatably creatively gifted if I can call myself that without sounding like I'm tooting my own horn) that it's much too easy to do, and with the fact that people are just making these things with no particular person in mind it seems really impersonal to me.

Edit: I'd like to point out a second time that this is just my opinion. I understand a lot of work goes into these and it's just like any business where goods/services are offered in exchange for money, but it's the concept itself that I personally don't completely stand behind.

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
Yeah I know right? People make up a character and sell it to someone to "adopt" as their very own OC. It's fine but I also feel (from the perspective of someone who's debatably creatively gifted if I can call myself that without sounding like I'm tooting my own horn) that it's much too easy to do, and with the fact that people are just making these things with no particular person in mind it seems really impersonal to me.
i read that people purchase adoptables because they lack the talent to draw their own character...but in my mind why wouldn't they commission an artist to draw their character? Or maybe they don't have the ability to draw or an idea of their character..that makes more sense...im not against it at all in fact more power to them...they seem to make decent money...but what is an open species..like...what? im so confused with this terminology

Dongding

The sheep
Yeh that's what I was saying in one of my posts. Back in the day you pay someone to draw something for you and that was it. We're relics I guess...

WolfNightV4X1

so OP I know you said others draw it but you were singled out?

Have you given them links to all the similar rabbit hybrid characters in existence to prove you're literally not the only one and they shouldn't attack you and you alone for no reason besides their ego?

I know they said they'd threaten to block evade but have you blocked them anyways?

You actually seem to be taking the situation rather maturely though seeing as you don't even want these people to be attacked back or to passive aggressively keep drawing the stupid thing

Status
Not open for further replies.