• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

DeviantArt Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Last time i used DA was getting two morons who sound 14 spamming my thread with who cares. I deleted my account after one said I'm a neckbeard for calling out spamming my thread.
o_O
I'm not surprised by the petty drama, but if all it took for you to delete your account was light trolling, then I've got little sympathy there.

S

ShinyFloof

o_O
I'm not surprised by the petty drama, but if all it took for you to delete your account was light trolling, then I've got little sympathy there.

I'm gonna have to agree here. This was pretty mild compared to what happened to me and other DA antics I've seen. Anybody remember the Foxfan drama? I remember somebody drew a fox with a fan tail and they got swarmed with hate comments and someone even threatens to file a false DMCA takedown report, and I, kid you not also threatened to get their lawyer involved. Over a pixel fox with a fan butt. I think somewhere along the line, people forget that most of the time, the words "closed species" are not legally binding, and are relying on morals alone to keep the species protected. In all honesty you can't copyright fan-tailed foxes, just your characters, but not the concept itself.

S

ShinyFloof

"Deviantart sucks" isn't that something everyone knows? It's filled with toxic children that cry about the smallest things.

I suppose it's becoming common knowledge now, but back in like, 2004-2006 DeviantArt was actually good

L

lupi900

I'm gonna have to agree here. This was pretty mild compared to what happened to me and other DA antics I've seen. Anybody remember the Foxfan drama? I remember somebody drew a fox with a fan tail and they got swarmed with hate comments and someone even threatens to file a false DMCA takedown report, and I, kid you not also threatened to get their lawyer involved. Over a pixel fox with a fan butt. I think somewhere along the line, people forget that most of the time, the words "closed species" are not legally binding, and are relying on morals alone to keep the species protected. In all honesty you can't copyright fan-tailed foxes, just your characters, but not the concept itself.

Yet what happend to you is tame to what i got at sofurry. Where i nearly got site banned for having a critical view on the xbox one one, a mod egging on troll's to attack me, other mods forcing me to say sorry after how one mod told i deserved to be trolled never happend despite him PM'ing me that.

After that and what happend TVtropes are you surprised my tolerance is very low?. Especially both were few first forums i actively joined.

S

ShinyFloof

Yet what happend to you is tame to what i got at sofurry. Where i nearly got site banned for having a critical view on the xbox one one, a mod egging on troll's to attack me, other mods forcing me to say sorry after how one mod told i deserved to be trolled never happend despite him PM'ing me that.

After that and what happend TVtropes are you surprised my tolerance is very low?. Especially both were few first forums i actively joined.

Wow. That's all i got to say. The mods at Sofurry need to be fired and new ones brought in. What kind of mod encourages trolling? I was thinking of joining that site but not now. That's ridiculous.

L

lupi900

Wow. That's all i got to say. The mods at Sofurry need to be fired and new ones brought in. What kind of mod encourages trolling? I was thinking of joining that site but not now. That's ridiculous.

Yup i called him out before leaving and got him saying same crap he PM'ed me while few asshole/problem users defending him. Month's later?, found those users banned for insulting other users and that same mod who attacked me became admin. You better of giving weasyl a chance since I've never had problems there.

S

ShinyFloof

Yup i called him out before leaving and got him saying same crap he PM'ed me while few asshole/problem users defending him. Month's later?, found those users banned for insulting other users and that same mod who attacked me became admin. You better of giving weasyl a chance since I've never had problems there.

Weasyl is great, I love it. The stuff I post gets like, twice the views it does on DA and I can actually draw what I want, no restrictions from sub-communities who think they own a trait.

omg this happened to me,, a girl made a journal post about me for all of her followers, I did not know my character just happened to look a little like hers ! she could have asked me privately but she made a huge drama fest about it im sorry this happened to you:(

S

ShinyFloof

omg this happened to me,, a girl made a journal post about me for all of her followers, I did not know my character just happened to look a little like hers ! she could have asked me privately but she made a huge drama fest about it im sorry this happened to you:(

Yeah, I hope this isnt still going on :(

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyFromEast

Traditional Artist, Architect
Sadly, dA is filled with such people and drama nowadays. The most recent situation I recall (and a really ridiculous one) was when I stumbled upon two girls, apparently around the age of 16, arguing how one ripped off another's art just because the characters both had a green scarf. The pose and drawings were a bit similar, but visually not ripped off one another, it was just this type of similarity you get when two people who are only beginning their artistic journey draw something - early drawings all look simple and similar to another.
I decided to comment and simply pointed out the fact that one cannot copyright a freakin scarf, and I had a whole journal made about me how I'm mean and how an artist like me should be supportive of others and not hurt them (how did I hurt anyone? :p )

Of course a whole herd of white knights followed and I had really, really mean comments written about me (although no one put up my name officially there, I was just called "this mean person"). Like, seriously, is "go kill yourself" a normal thing to say to one another when you're irritated? Well let's not mention all the comments going that "lol this person sure knows nothing about art" or "I bet they can't draw at all and are just jelous" (and how that one even happened? XD). I decided to give it a go and posted a comment "yeah, it was me, I'm not ashamed of what I said and I stick by my opinion" to see how they would react. STRANGELY no one attacked me, maybe they saw I actually know what I speak of?

I got blocked after that by that crybaby. I mean, I don't even care and it's more hilarious than stressing, but why make war over such a tiny issue?

Getting apart from this sort of drama (which tends to happen all the time and goes on and on) what really killed Deviantart for me is the revamp and getting rid of the "Today" page, and deleting the Daily deviations from the site's footer. It was the worst decision they could have made and everything went downhill from that point on. Back then a DD meant much, it was an honour and it really helped showcase good art. Now it's good for nothing. I've seen DD's getting less than 100 faves if they are LUCKY. Tons of great art just lie there unappreciated.

LumeKat

Some drama queens who draw a lot of cartoon fanservice of poor quality have armies of asskissers ready to jump at anyone who dares to give critique. For example, minion yaoi chick posts: x blocked me for no reason, I hate that!
50 billion comments appear :How can people be so BRAINLESS so STUPID?!!!!! WHYYYY

Also let's not forget that the theft of fanart is allowed because only the owner of the copyright can report art theft. Hooray!

L

lupi900

I'm i the only here find it funny as fuck how a million time more mature & having way more features the 4 furry art have over non-furry DA. The fact 99% of the userbase is nothing but teenage/immature adult trash that have no clue on copyright is why there no music section.

LadyFromEast

And there's no chance of selling commissions if you set your prices higher than 2$. Even when you have 1000+ watchers...

Totally seconded. As a matter of fact, even though I have been super happy to achieve 10k+ watchers, still no-one is interested in any sort of a commission. Trades? Free art? But of course. Commissions? Nah.
That's a but discouraging.. But it shows that the community is getting younger and younger, and young people rarely have the budgets for more. Plus, such $1 commissions de-stabilized the commissions market so much that *normal* prices are viewed as terribly high ones.

D

Deleted member 106754

I do not mind DA that much as long as I try to keep my attention in the right place and not derail too far.

However I do believe that DA has personally showed me the worst in some people and it's really a shame as it's a great place to find some truly amazing art.
I know it's a bit tricky to avoid shitty people but one thing that I've gotten proven to me is how in many(Not all) cases DA support just completely throw in a copy paste message and then mark a ticket as solved.

I've had quite some angst thrown my way over the years, and in some cases it ended up being more than just a "meany" comment, and instead full blown copying of profile(which happened more than once), similar username choice, stolen submissions or even fanart given that ended up getting poorly drawn dicks on them and submitted without following posting guidelines.
Follow that up with spam and other nonsense you'd believe it would be a quick and easy matter for a staffer to look into, especially if the account was made just a day ago and the reporter years ago.
But when you get a "Did you block this user yet? Use the DA block function" and then see the support ticket marked as solved you really start to wonder.
Getting rid of such people that not only harass, steal submission but also ignore the actual site rules that DA made themselves is to mass report the specific user until they decide it's worth it to them.
Not quite how it should be, especially when the case is clear as day and not a random internet shitpost fight.

I can see how some unlucky new user could stumble into the wrong "neighborhood" and have no one listen to them, just to decide to leave a site which could give them great potential but instead just ill mannered dweebs.

Put that aside though, I appreciate what I can find on DA and the interaction I might get from there, now it's just if I could actually draw too. LEL

S

ShinyFloof

Sadly, dA is filled with such people and drama nowadays. The most recent situation I recall (and a really ridiculous one) was when I stumbled upon two girls, apparently around the age of 16, arguing how one ripped off another's art just because the characters both had a green scarf. The pose and drawings were a bit similar, but visually not ripped off one another, it was just this type of similarity you get when two people who are only beginning their artistic journey draw something - early drawings all look simple and similar to another.
I decided to comment and simply pointed out the fact that one cannot copyright a freakin scarf, and I had a whole journal made about me how I'm mean and how an artist like me should be supportive of others and not hurt them (how did I hurt anyone? :p )

Of course a whole herd of white knights followed and I had really, really mean comments written about me (although no one put up my name officially there, I was just called "this mean person"). Like, seriously, is "go kill yourself" a normal thing to say to one another when you're irritated? Well let's not mention all the comments going that "lol this person sure knows nothing about art" or "I bet they can't draw at all and are just jelous" (and how that one even happened? XD). I decided to give it a go and posted a comment "yeah, it was me, I'm not ashamed of what I said and I stick by my opinion" to see how they would react. STRANGELY no one attacked me, maybe they saw I actually know what I speak of?

I got blocked after that by that crybaby. I mean, I don't even care and it's more hilarious than stressing, but why make war over such a tiny issue?

Getting apart from this sort of drama (which tends to happen all the time and goes on and on) what really killed Deviantart for me is the revamp and getting rid of the "Today" page, and deleting the Daily deviations from the site's footer. It was the worst decision they could have made and everything went downhill from that point on. Back then a DD meant much, it was an honour and it really helped showcase good art. Now it's good for nothing. I've seen DD's getting less than 100 faves if they are LUCKY. Tons of great art just lie there unappreciated.

Omg that sounds almost exactly like what happened with me, I got a rant video made about me and everything and I think these people are still mad, even though I let it go. This thread is more of a vent, if anything.

Benthehornyhyena

Too many stories, too little time
I haven't been put in this kind of situation yet (let's touch wood) but friends have, I remember one who was harassed by a "friend" because she took artistic liberties about some Undertale characters and that she "was wrong", "didn't have the right", etc... I also witnessed a lot of people (and in the end I never knew who was guilty or not !) making mean journals about each other, with more or less people agreeing on and bashing the other, etc.
Actually, when you keep yourself away as much as possible as annoying people as either ignoring them or remaining with your friends, or in the most extreme cases blocking them (never happened to me yet... but someone had blocked me for a stupid reason because he had asked me a question, I said I forgot and was lazy to check out and go look the wiki and he answered "Sigh, what a great help you are :/" and blocked me. WTF), it's a great, useful, fun site. :) We can't hate a site or a fandom only for its idiots.

LumeKat

Some of the drama could be avoided if the staff was more helpful and adjusted their rules to common moral standards, not just state law. If you have a fanart section on your site, why allow its theft? :I And what other choice does the victim have than to rally their watchers to attack the thief?
It's all thanks to the mass layoffs that happened along changing their logo to a Z and doubling the cost of premium accounts.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Some of the drama could be avoided if the staff was more helpful and adjusted their rules to common moral standards, not just state law. If you have a fanart section on your site, why allow its theft? :I And what other choice does the victim have than to rally their watchers to attack the thief?
It's all thanks to the mass layoffs that happened along changing their logo to a Z and doubling the cost of premium accounts.
I won't argue that mismanagement among the administrators has contributed to some of those issues (not least of all because of their sterling track record of properly informing the site's users of any changes), but so has the growth of the site and the amount of user-created content therein. When you're having to pay a pretty penny just to keep your site afloat, which DA is having to do to the tune of some $10M USD or so (last time I checked) just from the amount of content generated by a growing userbase that's larger than the population of Australia, there's only so much you can do to satisfy what few premium users you have without paying out of pocket yourself, and even that might not be enough.

S

ShinyFloof

I haven't been put in this kind of situation yet (let's touch wood) but friends have, I remember one who was harassed by a "friend" because she took artistic liberties about some Undertale characters and that she "was wrong", "didn't have the right", etc... I also witnessed a lot of people (and in the end I never knew who was guilty or not !) making mean journals about each other, with more or less people agreeing on and bashing the other, etc.
Actually, when you keep yourself away as much as possible as annoying people as either ignoring them or remaining with your friends, or in the most extreme cases blocking them (never happened to me yet... but someone had blocked me for a stupid reason because he had asked me a question, I said I forgot and was lazy to check out and go look the wiki and he answered "Sigh, what a great help you are :/" and blocked me. WTF), it's a great, useful, fun site. :) We can't hate a site or a fandom only for its idiots.

True. While I have ran into some rather unsavory people on DA, I have also met a lot of nice people who are fun to talk to so it kinda makes up for the bad stuff I guess?

Benthehornyhyena

Too many stories, too little time
If you have a fanart section on your site, why allow its theft? :I And what other choice does the victim have than to rally their watchers to attack the thief?
THANK. YOU. I forgot to mention the fact it also allows itself to steal art. What dickheads.

LadyFromEast

As a matter of fact, the cost of the premium accounts never did change - they merely discontinued the 50% sale which was ongoing ever since the premium accounts were introduced, I think. Aside from that though, premium accounts have little use as of now. You can feature people in your journals without that, and thumbnails of art in your inbox appear without you needing to pay for premium. You're only unable to access polls, journal skins, have a limited choice on personalizing your profile (and the amount you can already do is really big tbh), are unable to track who comes when to your profile to visit it, and are unabe to take part in beta-testing, and a few more small options and toys. Not worth the premium in my opinion. Back when the premium was the only way to have a thumbnail appear in your inbox and let you feature art in jourals - it sure was worth it, it speeded the browsing a lot, and managing your inbox. Now though, meh, can do without.

Status
Not open for further replies.