• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

DeviantArt Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Before anyone says "get a life and be kewl" I still believe people should complain about things that don't work anywhere they wish, especially when copyrights are involved. Keeping your mouth shut about everything results in... poland.
I want to agree with you, but I have little confidence in fellow users when it comes to them actually knowing what they're talking about. Many of those people also see fit to complain just for the sake of having something to complain about, which in turn makes it harder for the people with legitimate complaints to actually be heard.

I'm a broken record on the matter, but DeviantArt is little more than a gallery service and a social network; its primary obligation is solely to provide its users with the means to publicly present their work and receive feedback in return. Users who are that concerned about their IPs should not be so foolish as to assume that this gallery service will automatically police and protect their copyright claims for them, and should instead be pro-active in handling that on their own.

D

Deleted member 82554

Oh so your the bitter kind that think there are no good websites?. Sofurry is trash no matter what i did, /r/Furry is full immature assholes where discussion is a joke while weasyl/here have been great.

You must be fun at parties...
No, I'm the kind that is aware that not every place will cater to your every specific need/want and knows when to settle for what is best.

And yes, I'm a riot at parties. Like modfox said...it's a fox thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChapterAquila92

Banned
S

ShinyFloof

The idiots amuse me greatly.

For instance, I recently had some chap, whose account has since been deactivated, post a comment, consisting of a vomiting icon repeated 6 times, on the image my avatar is derived from. I just think it's hilarious that, of all the things buddy could be puking his guts over, it's the clean picture of an armour-plated battle dragon that does him in.

Theres the whole closed species thing that ruined DA for me (kinda). Whos to say you cant draw something without paying for it? Nintendo is one of the most sue happy companies in the world, and they DO NOT care if you were to draw a rabbit-like creature with ribbons and even call it Sylveon for your own personal, non-commercial use. They will not kick in your door, they will not send their executives after you. Why? Because real-world corporations realize thats childish and charging every Pokemon fan for an MYO slot just to be able to draw a Sylveon is ridiculous and not worth the trouble in the long run if no money is being made. People are allowed to do that. You are allowed free reign with what you wanna draw. Yet draw a different imaginary animal that is owned by some kid on the internet rather than a big company? How DARE you! You didnt pay to make your own! Your going down, kid. Like I offered basically my soul for a CS I wanted ( it was a slot mind you, not even an actual design) and still got rejected, because "imma hoarder of imaginary food dogs" basically is why they didnt give it to me, they were being EXTREMELY picky.

J

Junkerfox

DeviantFart
royalty-free-fart-clipart-illustration-1197915.jpg

ChapterAquila92

Banned
Theres the whole closed species thing that ruined DA for me (kinda). Whos to say you cant draw something without paying for it? Nintendo is one of the most sue happy companies in the world, and they DO NOT care if you were to draw a rabbit-like creature with ribbons and even call it Sylveon for your own personal, non-commercial use. They will not kick in your door, they will not send their executives after you. Why? Because real-world corporations realize thats childish and charging every Pokemon fan for an MYO slot just to be able to draw a Sylveon is ridiculous and not worth the trouble in the long run if no money is being made. People are allowed to do that. You are allowed free reign with what you wanna draw. Yet draw a different imaginary animal that is owned by some kid on the internet rather than a big company? How DARE you! You didnt pay to make your own! Your going down, kid. Like I offered basically my soul for a CS I wanted ( it was a slot mind you, not even an actual design) and still got rejected, because "imma hoarder of imaginary food dogs" basically is why they didnt give it to me, they were being EXTREMELY picky.
o_O

...Oookay? I don't see how that's relevant to the post you quoted.

Regardless, people tend to have double-standards on the matter, complaining about copyright laws being unfair while simultaneously wanting to lord over their own IPs with an iron fist. It's unfortunately rather common for such loud-mouths to forget that the "fair use" clause in copyright laws are a deliberate loophole so long as it falls within certain criteria.

And it's certainly not endemic to overzealous artists on DeviantArt, given what film critics like Doug Walker have had to put up with from Hollywood-based studios.

Last edited:
S

ShinyFloof

o_O

...Oookay? I don't see how that's relevant to the post you quoted.

Regardless, people tend to have double-standards on the matter, complaining about copyright laws being unfair while simultaneously wanting to lord over their own IPs with an iron fist. It's unfortunately rather common for such loud-mouths to forget that the "fair use" clause in copyright laws are a deliberate loophole so long as it falls within certain criteria.

And it's certainly not endemic to overzealous artists on DeviantArt, given what film critics like Doug Walker have had to put up with from Hollywood-based studios.

Come to think of it, this wasn't as relevant as I thought. I will be making a thread about this as its a separate issue and needs its own thread since this one has become less than relevant.

People in Hollywood do this too? I was hoping it was limited to online communities like DA.

ChapterAquila92

Banned
Come to think of it, this wasn't as relevant as I thought. I will be making a thread about this as its a separate issue and needs its own thread since this one has become less than relevant.
Send me the link when you have it up. Copyright matters are a passive interest of mine.
People in Hollywood do this too? I was hoping it was limited to online communities like DA.
It was practically the reason why Doug started the WTFU (Where's The Fair Use?) hashtag a while ago. A large number of his movie review videos have been flagged with takedown notices in the past solely on account of using video clips from those movies, sometimes without even mention of that detail (thanks to Youtube's automated reporting services.)

S

ShinyFloof

Send me the link when you have it up. Copyright matters are a passive interest of mine.

It was practically the reason why Doug started the WTFU (Where's The Fair Use?) hashtag a while ago. A large number of his movie review videos have been flagged with takedown notices in the past solely on account of using video clips from those movies, sometimes without even mention of that detail (thanks to Youtube's automated reporting services.)

forums.furaffinity.net: Your Opinion On Closed Species Culture

Theres the thread. Its pretty interesting so far, everybody brought up good points

Casey Fluffbat

E. Fuscus from the discount section
Redacted by staff

First step is not linking their page. Just describe the situation and people can help, we don't need to single any one out.

S

ShinyFloof

Redacted by staff

Yeah those are exactly the types of tartlets (DA users) I can't stand. I think people like them is why Deviant art is dying as a whole. I don't agree with linking their page here that might encourage white knighting which makes things worse for everyone.
In this case I'm not sure what to do, have you tried explaining your side of things to everyone involved in this? Like the person above me said, could you explain what's happening without dropping any names? We would be happy to help you out, we just need more details

ChapterAquila92

Banned
I know people are witch hunting me and my content just because [they don't] agree with me, What do I do...?
I can't say I'm much help there. Engaging in taboo and controversy in the public forum is always going to draw flak from haters in general, let alone moral guardians and puritanical zealots who abhor what you and your work represent in their eyes (a touch of irony on a site called DeviantArt.)

The safest method would be to block the individual and report any further harassment to the staff. That does require that you play it safe as well however, so as to not dig yourself a hole that others can use to legitimately bury you.

Yeah those are exactly the types of tartlets (DA users) I can't stand. I think people like them is why Deviant art is dying as a whole. I don't agree with linking their page here that might encourage white knighting which makes things worse for everyone.
In this case I'm not sure what to do, have you tried explaining your side of things to everyone involved in this? Like the person above me said, could you explain what's happening without dropping any names? We would be happy to help you out, we just need more details

I am just adding their name to give my comment legitimacy

Corrupt-Canine

DeviantART lost its charm from 2015. I've been on that site for 3 years and the community has changed a lot.
I would make a similar species just to mess with these overly controlling money hungry deviants. They're likely padding their tears with hundred dollar bills thinking they're going to starve and go homeless because one person didn't pay them $100 for a basic trait.
Better yet, make my own character with said traits, then tell them to grow a pair when they get upset and send empty threats.

S

ShinyFloof

DeviantART lost its charm from 2015. I've been on that site for 3 years and the community has changed a lot.
I would make a similar species just to mess with these overly controlling money hungry deviants. They're likely padding their tears with hundred dollar bills thinking they're going to starve and go homeless because one person didn't pay them $100 for a basic trait.
Better yet, make my own character with said traits, then tell them to grow a pair when they get upset and send empty threats.

I love this reply. DA is nothing like it was in the old days. I am in a similar situation. About a month or two ago, I made my own Pomcake without buying a slot. I saw the species and liked it, lost a trade but really wanted to make one. So I made one. Thing is I'm afraid to post it anywhere without getting tons of hate, threats and even sue threats and being told how "illegal" and "copywritten" it is. Of course it'd be all just empty threats but I don't want people to hate me for making a character just because I didn't buy some dumb MYO slot.

Corrupt-Canine

I love this reply. DA is nothing like it was in the old days. I am in a similar situation. About a month or two ago, I made my own Pomcake without buying a slot. I saw the species and liked it, lost a trade but really wanted to make one. So I made one. Thing is I'm afraid to post it anywhere without getting tons of hate, threats and even sue threats and being told how "illegal" and "copywritten" it is. Of course it'd be all just empty threats but I don't want people to hate me for making a character just because I didn't buy some dumb MYO slot.
They would have to have a copyright seal on the brand to sue you, however, copyright only protects the brand. The only way a court would take such a case into consideration is if said violator made a dangerously similar copy AND tried to sell it off as an original thing. Most would get thrown out of court.
I can't help you with the hate part, but just realize the majority of people who attack people over an overpriced food dog species is either younger than 14, white knights looking for pats from the species owner, and kids with no understanding of creativity.

S

ShinyFloof

They would have to have a copyright seal on the brand to sue you, however, copyright only protects the brand. The only way a court would take such a case into consideration is if said violator made a dangerously similar copy AND tried to sell it off as an original thing. Most would get thrown out of court.
I can't help you with the hate part, but just realize the majority of people who attack people over an overpriced food dog species is either younger than 14, white knights looking for pats from the species owner, and kids with no understanding of creativity.

True, it's incredibly immature to send hate/white knight over a dessert dog. I think it's ridiculous to even HAVE to worry about getting hate just for wanting to make a character. Closed species groups love to spout off how illegal it is to just draw your own, but if you're not selling it, they CANNOT do anything about it legally.

EDIT: For those who say it's art theft, unless your stealing someone else's completed work, specific design, or character, no theft has been committed.

MK_Wizard

All I remember is that when I went there, it caused me nothing but anxiety. Maybe I was immature too, but even with that, it was very toxic. You couldn't just not like something peacefully without "offending" anyone. In the end, my page got polluted with trolls and my watchers would get chased off. I've finally moved on from it, but I am NEVER going back there because from what I've seen, I grew up and it didn't. It's a shame really because I did meet good people there and there were a lot of great artists. The problem is that the people who were there to cause nothing but trouble dominated. This is why this place has my respect. I can like and not like certain things peacefully without people taking it as a personal attack because around here, everything is built on love and respect.

MK_Wizard

Appropriate meme time.

View attachment 52968

I don't know about meme, but all I know is that the experience is like night and day. I admit, I'm a pretty bashful and private person who likes SFW stuff only unless it is an artistic nude kind of like those Greek statues, but even then, artistic nude is not quite the same as NSFW. The point is, I say "I'm not into this kind of stuff. I prefer SFW art thanks" and people are cool with it. Heck, they'll even still give MY art a chance! Bless the respect this site has for people.

I

Infrarednexus

I don't know about meme, but all I know is that the experience is like night and day. I admit, I'm a pretty bashful and private person who likes SFW stuff only unless it is an artistic nude kind of like those Greek statues, but even then, artistic nude is not quite the same as NSFW. The point is, I say "I'm not into this kind of stuff. I prefer SFW art thanks" and people are cool with it. Heck, they'll even still give MY art a chance! Bless the respect this site has for people.
He means the necro post you made.

Status
Not open for further replies.