• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Did anyone becoming a furry start with...

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
... Going to forums and websites where they needlessly harassed and hated furries? Because when I was young, I went to several communities that hated furries in treated them unfairly, and I always hated that.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I had no idea that furries existed before I became a furry (though I had probably seen them and just didn't know it). In 2014, about a week before I became a furry I had watched a video of a person saying why they hate furries, and that got me interested in the subject rather than hating it. In a way depending on how I chose to see it at that point I could have ended up hating furries, but I chose to be curious and found I really liked it. Even with most of the people watching the video also hating them, it didn't sway me much, and I've learned far more truth being in the fandom than from any of those people.

moutymoo

No, even though i have been really confused about it for a long time. On one hand i found it appealing, on the other gross weird and unatural. I felt deep shame continuing to search for furry content and liking it, even though it weirded me out, and i kinda hated myself but not other people.

Yakamaru

Level 32 Knight
Hate is abundant and can be found everywhere. One needs to make sure they themselves are not a source of hatred through introspection and observing one's own heart, thought patterns and behaviour. Sadly that is something a lot of people lack nowadays.

sleepy kitty

frisky feline
No, I started by drawing a feline Happy Tree Friends OC on DeviantArt and she later turned into a regular fursona and completely seperate from the HTF fandom

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
No, I started by drawing a feline Happy Tree Friends OC on DeviantArt and she later turned into a regular fursona and completely seperate from the HTF fandom
Wow that's a violent- I mean, happy beginning to becoming a furry lol

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
I learned what furries were in the mid 1990s, but the reputation as a "fetish" kept me away. I always loved animal characters, though, ever since I was a kid. When I finally started interacting with and RPing with other furries online in 2009, I guess I realized I'd found my place.

Not to say there still aren't corners of the fandom I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. . .

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I learned what furries were in the mid 1990s, but the reputation as a "fetish" kept me away. I always loved animal characters, though, ever since I was a kid. When I finally started interacting with and RPing with other furries online in 2009, I guess I realized I'd found my place.

Not to say there still aren't corners of the fandom I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. . .
1990's, wow. Through the internet or elsewhere? I imagine it wasn't easy finding such a niche community back then.

sleepy kitty

frisky feline

Crisahitna

... Going to forums and websites where they needlessly harassed and hated furries? Because when I was young, I went to several communities that hated furries in treated them unfairly, and I always hated that.
I started off as a Pegasister (female brony) and was frequently drawing my ponysona. I was huge into MLP, so it was a matter of time before I got myself integrated into the furry fandom by creating my first bugsona. And I'm making a furry OC in the works.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.

XD That is how Benny started! (Although I no longer consider him my true fursona since he was never supposed to represent myself as a person.)

Stray Cat Terry

고먐미
I didn't.

I... To be honest, I started from animal, not anthro animal species(aka. furry). But you see, even if you got intelligence and ability of a human, with just an animal body, there are much restrictions. So... I changed it into human body + animal fur and ears, tails, muzzles etc...
And later that I found--it was a thing, even with a fandom!

Ta-daa! A furry has been created! ...or more like, turned into! OwO

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Nope, I came over full of hope and vigor.

My distrust to this surprisingly slimy community grew over years.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Nope! I was anxious and self-conscious about being perceived as a furry, because I recognized that many of my interests were at least furry-adjacent, and that I could also get into hot water if I appeared to lack sufficient hatred and contempt for "those people" and the things they liked.

Filter

uwu
Although I didn't participate, I occasionally browsed the VCL Horrors Livejournal and the CYD (Crush Yiff Destroy) forums. A surprising number of "grizzled old veteran" furs would gather there to complain about the state of the fandom. The experience was a bit like watching a train-wreck. I didn't like it, but it was hard to look away.

Encountering that kind of furry hate early on made me avoid publicly identifying with the fandom, despite having a lifelong interest in these kinds of characters. On the other hand, it showed me that some of the worst furry hate comes from former furries. All in all, I don't think the hatred is as widespread as some think it is, but I'm still cautious about potentially letting that kind of drama into my real life.

This might be a coincidence, but I've also noticed that some of the most popular furry hate animations on YouTube feature art styles similar to what I saw from artists associated with the Burned furs. Some of the people behind these projects may have been involved with the fandom in the late '90s and early 2000s.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
1990's, wow. Through the internet or elsewhere? I imagine it wasn't easy finding such a niche community back then.

I went to Dragon*Con in Atlanta back in 1995, meeting friends from a Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan group. While we were there, one of the women said there was going to be some kind of forum or meet-and-greet with the creator of Omaha the Cat Dancer, and she planned on going to that. I had no idea what it was, read a bit about it in the Con program, but didn't think much else of it. A few years later, I started following the Sabrina Online comic and found some other furry artwork online. I really had no idea that there were so many people, my age (young adulthood) and older, who enjoyed animal characters.

I still veer away from a lot of the NSFW stuff, both art and stories and RP.

Spatel

I learned about furries from SA, and at the time it had a very negative attitude towards them. This was 2004-2010 ish. Often if a member were outed as a fur they'd be banned. I didn't positively identify as a furry (though I knew I was), and I didn't interact with the fandom, but I tried to defend furries while maintaining plausible deniability.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I learned about furries from SA, and at the time it had a very negative attitude towards them. This was 2004-2010 ish. Often if a member were outed as a fur they'd be banned. I didn't positively identify as a furry (though I knew I was), and I didn't interact with the fandom, but I tried to defend furries while maintaining plausible deniability.

DO YOU HAVE STAIRS IN YOUR HOUSE? :D

ASTA

Former Trash Man
You know, funnily enough, my road to furry started off like this.

I first got introduced to the fandom via a Youtube comment back in 2009 IIRC. I don't recall the comment's exact word-for-word content but I'm fairly sure that the dude was professing his sexual fondness for an anthropomorphic character featured in the video that the comment was posted on. I clicked his profile out of morbid curiosity, ran into a deluge of furry media, and found myself rapidly descending down a rabbit hole that would eventually lead me to developing a particularly potent fondness for the fandom that would grow with each piece of furry creative media that I consumed. I spent a lot of time reading tons of Bernard Doove's stories, read one or two of Jay Naylor comics (I think the first one I ever read was called "Original Life"?), spent some time on Furcadia, and played a lot of Feral Heart.

But it wasn't long before I found out that furries were universally reviled across the greater internet. Little kids are incredibly impressionable and marred quite easily by negative peer pressure, so I suppressed my growing love for the fandom and turbo-coped my way through that emotional roller-coaster by binging on Ultraforge videos and Encyclopedia Dramatica articles. Did some trolling on Youtube, too. Eventually I got over all of that and came to terms with the fact that I loved animal people.

D

Deleted member 82554

Gather round children and let burgerfox tell you a little story.

In a land, far, far away, there was this weeee little burgerfox. He used to play animal games with his friends and family, running around on all fours pretending to be a dog, cat, or some other four-legged type of creature. They used to make paw prints in the sand to see who could make them better, wagging their imaginary tails about like they just don't care and digging holes in the ground.

As time went on, little burgerfox started wondering what it would be like to actually be one of those creatures. That's when his fascination with anthropomorphic creatures truly started, watching everything from Disney's The Lion King - to Warner Brothers The Loony Toons.

When little burgerfox heard about The Internet and finally got his first computer, his descent into madne- I mean, research into anthropomorphic creatures began which eventually led little burgerfox to The Furry Fandom!!! where he could live out the rest of his days in sexual confusion and social awkwardness.

The End...

Kingman

Inquisitor of the Radical Ordo
I started with sprite comics on Twisted Kaiju Theater's forum.