• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Difference between pancakes and flapjacks

Zezel

Writer and World Maker
Hey so just a quick question for those who wish to answer.

Whats the difference between the two I've heard its buttermilk but other times i hear its a size thing?

So if anyone wishs to clean this up thanks.

Zezel

Writer and World Maker
I don't think it's regional cuz some of the breakfast shops have both on the menu, yet everyone says different differences between the two

I

Infrarednexus

I always assumed they were the same thing. Maybe multiple names for one food?

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I’ve usually just seen it as a regional variance in speech and making honestly. Some places they are interchangeable, some they have legitimate making differences which may be different from the next area. Where I spent a lot of time flapjacks were really thin and floppy, almost crepe thin. But where I am now there isn’t a difference.

So chock it up to regional difference and enjoy whichever.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
Flapjack:

1723.jpg

Pancake:

edfaaf9f-9bde-426a-8d67-3284e9e496ae.jpg

They're quite different.

malibu

Flapjack:

1723.jpg

This is my first time seeing a flapjack, but here we have flapjacks. The "s" seems to make a difference when you google search it, while I do get a couple of results for the flapjack you've provided.

I've heard different people say it's different things. I think it's regional, but regional in the sense that they're made a bit different too. Different parts of the country have different types of pancakes. Some are flatter and more wide, some are medium and plump, and some are a bit fat with crispy edges. I consider flapjacks to be the more wide and thin variety, while pancakes are more of your average medium. I think it's all down to personal preference, though.

For me it's:

Pancakes-
24COOKING-CLASSICPANCAKES-articleLarge.jpg

Flapjacks-
large-pancakes.jpg

M

Massan Otter

Here in the UK, flapjacks are a traybake with oats. Pancakes often mean a thinner crepe sort of thing, though the American kind are gaining a foothold too. Then in Scotland we have drop scones, which are another small, thick pancake.

MadKiyo

I've been de-batted, oh no!
I'm going to throw a wrench in the system and introduce "hoe cakes" as a third.

LizzyKingBooks

Hi, I'm Canadian, and I'm sorry but what in the ever loving hell is that granola bar thing that is not a flapjack. Flapjacks and pancakes are the same thing.