• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Digimon VS Pokémon

Which is better?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 134556

Simple question: Which of the two do you like more, or believe is better?

To add to the discussion, why do you think they are superior? In what ways?

FoxWithAName

Still new only older
Pokemon. Both are a part of my youth and have great adaptations, but to bring my killer argument: The design of Pokemon of the creatures is, in my opinion, so much better than the creature design of Digimon.

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
Digimon. Better story. More interesting and over the top character design.

When broken down, pokemon is basically children going out into the wild to beat up and harass wild animals to enslave them to forcefully fight other animals for their own fame and monetary gain.

Digimon was more about personal and spiritual connection with a companion where both self-actualize, develop and grow together.

Fight me

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
While I feel like Pokémon has a distinct advantage in characters, the series cheats what with most of the cast being recurring between seasons / games as well as the fact that Jesse / James / Meowth are a hell of an iconic trio to supplant. Likewise, since it was brought up earlier, it at least tries to pay lip service to the idea that most Pokémon are fighting out of bonds of friendship (with most Pokémon not being used for fighting anyhow) and that Trainers who basically go "I beat you up and so now you do what I say" are disliked at best and criminal at worst.

On the other side, it doesn't change that several Pokémon are explicitly used for food (Farfetch'd is a delicacy, for example, in the Kanto Region IIRC), and Digimon tends to sell the friendship stuff a lot better / more consistently. Digimon's seasonal nature likely playing a part in this since practically every season features at least one major arc centered around the theme "Digimon are friends, not tools".

Design-wise? Slightly more partial to Pokémon, but it's admittedly varies significantly between generations and Digimon has the advantage that it can go with some really out-there designs or concepts that would never have a shot in Pokémon. Which is funny because Digimon tends to be a lot more internally consistent with its designs and rules and whatnot than Pokémon (Which can't decide if all Pokémon are of approximately human intellect or some are just barely higher than animals, can't decide if Pokémon are friends who should be cherished or are fucking delicious and should be served on platters, whether proper communication is something any deserving Trainer / Gym Leader can accomplish or if it's the realm of outliers like Psychics or 'mon like Rocket's Meowth, etcetera).

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
I like Pokemon better but Digimon has better anime by far. Gotta give Tamers a serious watch sometime.
While Digimon has some... off, seasons / series', there's also this. Not being a perpetual episodic phenomena allows Digimon to actually get away with plots and grow characters. Conversely at this point Ash either has to be in his 20's or some of the episodes have to be written off as dreams, hallucinations, or so-on (which, considering just how many of his former Pokémon have been outright forgotten entirely, isn't exactly implausible).

Let your shows end, you bloody cowards.

T

TemetNosce88

neutral.jpg

Honestly, I was aware of both growing up but never really watched Digimon and only barely played the Pokemon games.

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
I have never played a Digimon game, but have played most generations of Pokemon apart from II & III, and loved them all.

I’ve seen both the Digimon and Pokemon anime, but honestly I prefer the former. By now I’ve gotten tired of Ash. Can we just have a Pokemon anime with a different protagonist please!?

Slytherin Umbreon

Black Lives Matter
In my completely unbiased opinion, Umbreon is completely amazing, 1v1 me irl.
Fallow has a point, though.

Kinare

RAWR
I liked both as a kid, but Digimon has always had a 1-up on Pokemon for me.

Pokemon cards > Digimon cards. I dunno, maybe it's because they weren't as popular, but Digimon cards just didn't appeal to me very much. I still collected them, but I treasure my best Pokemon cards over my Digimon ones. Honestly, I have no idea which pile the Digimon ones are even in which says how much they mean to me...

Pokemon games = Digimon games. The old Pokemon games are of course classics that will always stick with me, gen 2 was my fav. I didn't play any Digimon games until my adult years, so Pokemon has an unfair advantage there. The only Digimon "game" I got to play as a kid were the Digivices. They were so much fun despite the simplicity of them, and I could hide them easier from my evil monster-destroying mother. I still have one, it's from season 4 I believe.

Digimon anime > Pokemon anime. The first like 3 or 4 Pokemon movies were pretty decent, ngl, but the Digimon movie and seasons 1-3 are far better than anything Pokemon offers there. I was always so annoyed by the Pokemon anime. Ash is annoying and an awful trainer, Jessie and James are annoying, the Pokemon just say their names over and over which is, again, annoying... Digimon characters just feel more human and are relateable, and of course since the mons talk that adds a lot to the narrative.

Digimon monsters > Pokemon monsters. Digmon actually look awesome for the most part, and there's even some cute ones in there. Pokemon... far less interesting designs for me. I collect some of my favorite Digimon figures because they're just so badass. My fav figures as a kid were Digimon. Anything sharp and mean looking is good to me, extra awesome if they are black, blue, or both. Now with the last couple of generations for Pokemon... They're clearly running out of ideas and it makes me mad how lame some of these designs are. Just stop already.

Yakamaru

Your average Stand enjoyer
It's a tough choice. Both were part of my childhood and both have a good franchise and character/stories.

Will have to go with Digimon. Can't ever go wrong with Renamon. =3=

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Digimon. Better story. More interesting and over the top character design.

When broken down, pokemon is basically children going out into the wild to beat up and harass wild animals to enslave them to forcefully fight other animals for their own fame and monetary gain.

Digimon was more about personal and spiritual connection with a companion where both self-actualize, develop and grow together.

Fight me

This sums up my feelings very nicely! Better story-line, more depth; Pokemon seems rather repetitive and one-dimensional, by comparison.

Also: Pokemon has always struck me as a very obvious commercial ploy, to get kids to buy 10,000 various products, which detracts from the cute factor. Gotta buy 'em all! I suppose this is the case with many franchises, but here, the concept seems to be on steroids.

And I have to admit: I would not mind being in a Gabumon plush suit : )

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Roundworm In Goat Guise
it's been years since i've had an interest in either.

they just take up too much of your time.

i'd rather be doing something i don't need to get invested in.

i'm a pretty active person.