• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Discuss Anime

Hateful Bitch

Hang up your coat
Anime general. Why do we have a bunch of tiny little threads splitting off into obscure questions, threads for just furry anime, and no general discussion? You can ask your questions here without feeling silly and being a clutter bug.

Someone probably made one in the past but it died I guess, or at least hasn't seen recent activity. I can't imagine that this forum has gone totally without one for the whole duration. Whatever the case though, this is still necessary, just to accommodate for all miscellaneous anime chatter.

First thing's first: You got an anime list?
Y) Post it! Here's mine: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sideli
N) Want one? http://myanimelist.net/ and http://www.anime-planet.com/ are both good.

Second thing's first: You have a favourite?
Mine's The Tatami Galaxy, and it's perfect. Only 11 episodes too, so not a huge chunk of your time? Thanks for watching it.

Third thing's fourth: What are you watching just now?
Me, not a whole lot besides airing shows. Favourite airing shows at the moment are Psycho-Pass, Space Brothers, Polar Bear's Café, Shinsekai Yori, and Robotics;Notes.

Okay done. For the sake of a nice OP I'll stop my own chatter here, at asking and answering these few basic questions.

______

Please keep in mind:

Use spoiler tags where necessary, and remember to give the name of the show you're actually talking about. With "Custom Button Title" being the name of the show preferably. No matter where though, please mention the name of the show somewhere around the spoiler tagged chit chat. Additionally, if you're talking about multiple shows in a single post, put them in their own spoiler tags.

Use your own judgement to decide what is or isn't spoileriffic. But if in doubt, get out the spoiler tags just to be safe.

L6PnXaD.png

http://forums.furaffinity.net/misc.php?do=bbcode#Spoiler

For example:
TX8JgwE.png

Since this is the OP for a potentially large thread (who knows), I'll remind you to read the rules if you're in doubt, or if you have a history of poor choices.
http://forums.furaffinity.net/announcement.php?f=37&a=1

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
Meh, I used to be into anime. I still like some animes, but the problem with a ton of anime is that they rely on still frames for backgrounds and characters and most of the time when the character is actually talking the character doesn't actually move and the only thing that is moving is the charactes' mouth. However whenever there is a action scene often times the anatomy goes right into "wtf human anatomy does not work that way". If you don't believe me watch closely a anime with a not massive budget at the animation and whenever there's not a action scene and the character is talking.

There's a few good animes though with decent animation. Unfortunately I can not stand for the life of me anime shows or movies with piss poor animation. I don't care if the plot is amazing, if it looks like a bunch of still images in a slide show no thank you.

Last edited:

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
@CannonFodder: You hit the nail on the head with that one.
My anime list! (It amuses me slightly that on myanimelist.net I posted in the forums asking about furries and very few people came and said that they were furries. And yet here we are)
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Battlechili1
My favorite anime is TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN!
Seriously, that show was amazing. Giant robots combining to form more powerful giant robots to fight enemies the size of galaxies. It was pretty epic.
Currently I'm watching quite a few shows, Soul Eater, Inuyasha, Naruto, Tenchi Muyo GXP.....I'm also rewatching Casshern Sins.

Hateful Bitch

Hang up your coat
@CannonFodder: You hit the nail on the head with that one.
My anime list! (It amuses me slightly that on myanimelist.net I posted in the forums asking about furries and very few people came and said that they were furries. And yet here we are)
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Battlechili1
My favorite anime is TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN!
Seriously, that show was amazing. Giant robots combining to form more powerful giant robots to fight enemies the size of galaxies. It was pretty epic.
Currently I'm watching quite a few shows, Soul Eater, Inuyasha, Naruto, Tenchi Muyo GXP.....I'm also rewatching Casshern Sins.

TTGL was good, though I ended up watching the last 17 episodes all at once, so I didn't really savor the experience that much, which I regret.

I see R.O.D OVA there rated at 9. Actually started on that last year sometime but never watched the other two episodes. From what I watched it seemed cool though. Should rewatch it from the beginning sometime. It's not even long.

Also see Eureka Seven in your watching. I really liked that show, despite the flaws I could see. Maybe due to the length, I enjoyed the show a lot more than some shorter ones that I could say might have worked better in some areas. Maybe it just felt shiny and happy and that's why it resonated well with me.

Meh, I used to be into anime. I still like some animes, but the problem with a ton of anime is that they rely on still frames for backgrounds and characters and most of the time when the character is actually talking the character doesn't actually move and the only thing that is moving is the charactes' mouth. However whenever there is a action scene often times the anatomy goes right into "wtf human anatomy does not work that way". If you don't believe me watch closely a anime with a not massive budget at the animation and whenever there's not a action scene and the character is talking.

There's a few good animes though with decent animation. Unfortunately I can not stand for the life of me anime shows or movies with piss poor animation. I don't care if the plot is amazing, if it looks like a bunch of still images in a slide show no thank you.

I guess that might get on some people's nerves after a while, but it doesn't concern me so much, as I forget the problem's there. I did notice that in western animation they actually animate the tongue when they're talking. Mouth animation is generally pretty poor in anime, I can agree. Half the time they don't even sync the words to the mouth movement correctly.
Action scenes, not bothered. Not seen so much of the gross anatomy you're talking about.

"Talking slideshow" is a bit drastic though. I have no idea what you've been watching if you think that's a fair comparison for anything, though I can see where you're getting it from.

Last edited:

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
lol if anyone wants to call an anime a slideshow they ought' to watch Bakemonogatari. Closest thing to a slideshow that's still anime.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Still also one of the best things ever despite that, and fanservice. Best dialogue I've ever seen.
Agreed. It was amazing.
It just had a lot of talking with little movement.
Regarding Eureka Seven, it was heavily influenced by Evangelion, so I can see why it would've had problems, but it is a good show, and i"m enjoying. Doesn't have a whole lot of story episodes though.

CannonFodder

I guess that might get on some people's nerves after a while, but it doesn't concern me so much, as I forget the problem's there. I did notice that in western animation they actually animate the tongue when they're talking. Mouth animation is generally pretty poor in anime, I can agree. Half the time they don't even sync the words to the mouth movement correctly.
Action scenes, not bothered. Not seen so much of the gross anatomy you're talking about.

"Talking slideshow" is a bit drastic though. I have no idea what you've been watching if you think that's a fair comparison for anything, though I can see where you're getting it from.
It depends on which studio is animating it and how large a budget it was given. After a couple years you do tend to notice it. I was in the anime fandom for a entire decade. After that long you will notice it and you will not be able to ignore it. If it's a long dialogue scene or a scene where there's a ton of action the problem, if it's a subpar company making it or if the budget is low, is extremely noticable if you are paying attention.

And no this is not a "I hate anime" post, what I am saying is that I hate it when a anime doesn't put as much effort into properly animating a show or movie.

1)Jaws and facial structures do move when talking.
2)Your tongue does move when talking.
3)People do not stop moving when talking.
4)People you are not paying attention too do not stop moving in real life just cause you are talking to someone else.
5)Boobs do not gyrate like a earthquake.
6)Your arms and legs do not break when punching someone and then re-heal instantly after a dramatic punch.

I don't dislike 90% of anime cause I hate anime or hate the story, I hate 90% of anime cause so many companies simply do not give a fuck about properly animating a drawn show they expect people to just ignore gross anatomically inaccuricies.

Also as for my top anime movies it would have to be stuff like princess mononoke, grave of the fireflies, howl's moving castle and stuff like that.

Last edited:

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I get what you're saying. Bones, Gainax, and Shaft are really good animation companies.
Gainax works with a low budget though. They just pull it off well.

Bad animation companies I know of include Gonzo.

CannonFodder

I get what you're saying. Bones, Gainax, and Shaft are really good animation companies.

Bones is friggin boss. FMA brotherhood was better than the original.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I love FMA: Brotherhood. Though I do think the original did a few things better, like the girl chimera episode or Barry the Chopper being scarier in the original. But overall, yeah!

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Is this list publicly visible? http://www.anime-planet.com/users/sunandshadow/anime/watched
I'm not currently watching anything. I really enjoyed Princess Tutu and wanted something similar, but the closest I found was Tweeny Witches, but after a few interesting episodes it settled into being shallow and formulaic.

Also, I no longer think it's reasonable to draw a clear line between anime and western animation. It seems silly that something like Invader Zim isn't on that list just because it was produced in the US.

GhostWolf

I watch anime only when I find the series interesting. Mainly I like Case Closed, Nuku Nuku TV, Neirma Daikon Brothers, Golgo 13 among others

Hateful Bitch

Hang up your coat
It depends on which studio is animating it and how large a budget it was given. After a couple years you do tend to notice it. I was in the anime fandom for a entire decade. After that long you will notice it and you will not be able to ignore it. If it's a long dialogue scene or a scene where there's a ton of action the problem, if it's a subpar company making it or if the budget is low, is extremely noticable if you are paying attention.

And no this is not a "I hate anime" post, what I am saying is that I hate it when a anime doesn't put as much effort into properly animating a show or movie.

1)Jaws and facial structures do move when talking.
2)Your tongue does move when talking.
3)People do not stop moving when talking.
4)People you are not paying attention too do not stop moving in real life just cause you are talking to someone else.
5)Boobs do not gyrate like a earthquake.
6)Your arms and legs do not break when punching someone and then re-heal instantly after a dramatic punch.

I don't dislike 90% of anime cause I hate anime or hate the story, I hate 90% of anime cause so many companies simply do not give a fuck about properly animating a drawn show they expect people to just ignore gross anatomically inaccuricies.

Also as for my top anime movies it would have to be stuff like princess mononoke, grave of the fireflies, howl's moving castle and stuff like that.

Oh right, you mean when people totally wouldn't survive a fall but they stand back up. Yeah, I see that a bunch. Most glaringly in Redline, when the main character drives his motorbike off a cliff and lands on his back on a hill. He simply sighs and starts staring into space, totally at peace. It's funny though, so it's not all that bad to watch.

All three of those movies you mentioned are from Studio Ghibli, so basically the best acclaimed studio for movies. Madhouse is also really good for movies. They did all of Satoshi Kon's movies (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers), all of Mamoru Hosoda's movies (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki), Redline, and Metropolis.

I think A-1 pictures is pretty good. They did Space Brothers, Fairy Tail, Tsuritama, Welcome to the Space Show, Shinsekai Yori, Sword Art Online, Working!!, Ano Hana, Black Butler, and Magi. So they've got a good record of having nicely animated shows.

Of course there's also Kyoto Animation, who did K-On!, Tamako Market, Hyouka, and that sort of rubbish.

And Production IG, who did Ghost in the Shell, Eden of the East, FLCL, Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, and The Sky Crawlers, from what I read that I've seen any of.

Though I'm not sure how much of these are guilty for the frozen frame while speaking thing, which I do notice, but not involuntarily. These ones I've just recognised do nice looking stuff.
@CF I get that you're not hating , so don't worry about that.

And just remembered there's also White Fox, though they haven't done a whole lot. There's Steins;Gate. But more importantly for what I'm wanting to mention, there's also Katanagatari, which you might want to look into Battle. It's an adaptation of a series of light novels from the same author as the Bakemonogatari series. So while it can be quite still for a while (one episode has 10 minutes of dialogue in the same position, though it fills in time with other things so it's not perfectly still), but it's very good on dialogue. It's 12 episodes, and every episode is 50 minutes long. When it was originally aired the episodes were aired a month apart, to allow for more care to be taken in the animation process.

______

Also, I no longer think it's reasonable to draw a clear line between anime and western animation. It seems silly that something like Invader Zim isn't on that list just because it was produced in the US.
I don't agree that Invader Zim could count as anime at all (episodic comedy with no overarching plot, and not a similar style to anything except Panty and Stocking, which in it self is actually a big parody of western animation and culture a lot of the time). But there are things counted as anime that don't make a whole lot of sense to me, and are listed just because they were made in Japan. This for example, a short film which would fit alongside any western short film, is listed on MyAnimeList just because it was made by a Japanese person. Doesn't make sense, and the walls between western animation and anime definitely are vague.

[yt]0V9BYAZP3yU[/yt]

Last edited:

whiteskunk

Everyone seems to have a certain genre(s) or character types they prefer.
Myself, there has to be some amount of comedy to the storyline. Such as Honey and Clover-the scene where girl is smacking the guy on the head with her foot while yelling at him was histerical. (Sorry if that was a spoiler to anyone). And as was mentioned by CannonFodder-it depends on how much budget the studio puts into the production. That can make or break a series, ova or movie.
But I digress, series' such as Welcome to the NHK, Honey and Clover, Ramen Fighter Miki, Animation Runner Kuromi, etc appeals to me. Normal character types in some occasional comical situations. (Slice of life stuff).

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
I watch some anime. Not much, but some.

A list? Well I don't really have one so sorry ^_^;

Favorites? I like (and will always like) The Big O. Though Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Mobile Fighter G Gundam run close to being the favorite of all.

What am I watching right now? The aforementioned Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's actually pretty awesome so far, but I've never read the manga so I don't know if they've screwed anything up yet. But it's been fun so far!

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
I've found I care less and less for anime as I age. As it sits right now the only anime I care for is the Hellsing series and OVA, Big O, Blue Gender, FLCL, Vampire Hunter D, Speed Grapher, Outlaw Star, The Assorted Tenchi series, Cowboy Bebop, Akira,Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, Spirited Away, Howl's Floating Castle, and a few other category essentials. It may seem like a long list, but when you look at it compared to the amount of anime out there, or even popular anime on TV, it's VERY short and selective.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
gingiser-gattai.gif

Hi.

Tigercougar

I pretty much don't watch anime at all except for Ghibli movies when they have a theatrical release over here. Anime music, on the other hand, is my favorite 'genre' so to speak and I listen to it every day. Digimon had some wonderful Japanese music.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
I am not really an anime fan. There are just certain shows that I like. Just like I am not a massive fan of cartoons in general but there are a few cartoons that I do enjoy.

As for shows that I did like, first of all there is almost the entire Gundam universe. Especially the Universal Century timeline.
The last show that I finished watching was King of Braves Gaogaigar together with Gaogaigar FINAL.
Holy freaking shit that was awesome^^ Cheesy as all heck but still very amazing! As a collector it makes my cry to see that figures of Genesic Gaogaigar start at $400 on Evilbay ;__;

FMA brotherhood was better than the original.

Brotherhood was amazing. It was the first anime that I enjoyed after watching it again and I definitely want to watch it all for a third time.
The first FMA series was great as well though but I do prefer Brotherhood as well.

whiteskunk

Last edited:

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
I like DBZ, Sailor Moon, Ah My Goddess, Ranma, some of Urusei Yatsura, some of the Tenchi series, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Panty and Stocking, Fruits Basket, Azumanga Daioh, and FLCL.

I have no idea how many, exactly, I've watched. I doubt I'd remember even half of their names.

I'm curious about Madoka Magica, but I haven't seen it yet.

Hateful Bitch

Hang up your coat
I'm curious about Madoka Magica, but I haven't seen it yet.

Ideally, unless you've already looked into it, I say to go on everybody's word that it's good and just watch it. With that, you'll get the most out of it that you can, not knowing what it's really about.

I've had some great experiences not knowing what to expect out of something I'm watching. Best example of this was when I was browsing for a new anime movie to buy on DVD on Amazon, and it came up with Summer Wars. 5 star rating, pretty looking art on the box cover. That and the affordable price is all I knew about the movie when I loaded it up, expecting from the title and front cover for it to be a nice movie about kids playing sports in competition in summer time. People who've seen it can imagine my surprise when it totally shattered my expectations.

Last edited:

whiteskunk

Ideally, unless you've already looked into it, I say to go on everybody's word that it's good and just watch it. With that, you'll get the most out of it that you can, not knowing what it's really about.

I've had some great experiences not knowing what to expect out of something I'm watching. Best example of this was when I was browsing for a new anime movie to buy on DVD on Amazon, and it came up with Summer Wars. 5 star rating, pretty looking art on the box cover. That and the affordable price is all I knew about the movie when I loaded it up, expecting from the title and front cover for it to be a nice movie about kids playing sports in competition in summer time. People who've seen it can imagine my surprise when it totally shattered my expectations.

It sounds like you didn't like the movie, sorry to hear that. You can't go by the cover or vague reviews. Personally I liked "Summer Wars", but I read the reviews from animedb and ANN and watched the trailer before buying it. Also ask others what they think about a series, ova or movie. Okay the site myanimelist is kind of comical but they have groups and occasionally decent reviews to go by. Use as many resources before making a decision. You're not alone, I've bought some bad stuff myself, many people have.

Use ANN (anime news network) to do genre searchs: home page-encyclopedia-search, next page 'by genre'. There are loads of categories to choose-unless you already know about this then never mind. Sometimes buying blind works, but doing some 'homework' saves you from bad purchases.

Now to something else:
One thing that most anime fans can agree on is the dislike of copycats of a successful series.
Examples: Tattoon Master, Outlanders and To Love Ru are basically rip-offs of Urusei Yatsura.

Then again, many storylines/series mirror others in someway. So it's all according to taste. Some would like Ouran High School Host Club yet others might prefer The Wallflower.

Last edited: