• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Discussion: Should I pay for adspace on the main site?

Ramiel0912

Hey folks! Artist here ^^ I was wondering if any of you would recommend buying ad space or if it's a waste of money. I've been searching for information about it, and it seems to be a mixed bag of opinions. Some say it did wonders, while others say that the best way to get engagement is to interact directly with other users one by one ( I'm a bit lazy to do that tbh).

I'm mainly worried about some complaints I've read regarding how slow the process can be, people waiting for weeks after making the payment with no answer....

I'd love to hear your opinions or any personal experience with it! Also, if anybody knows any tutorials about ad making, that would be greatly appreciated <33. Anyways, I hope someone is out there.

Thanks!!
FA: https://www.furaffinity.net/user/ramiel0912/

quoting_mungo

When I had an ad running I wasn’t shooting for sales, so I can’t speak from experience on that aspect. The comic I was advertising got a lot of new watchers throughout the time the ad was running, though, so I would definitely say the getting-eyeballs-on-it aspect worked out. Mind, it’s been some years so I can’t speak for how things might have changed.

The price point for the ads make them definitely worth it IMO, regardless - doesn’t take much in the way of sales to break even.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Hey folks! Artist here ^^ I was wondering if any of you would recommend buying ad space or if it's a waste of money. I've been searching for information about it, and it seems to be a mixed bag of opinions. Some say it did wonders, while others say that the best way to get engagement is to interact directly with other users one by one ( I'm a bit lazy to do that tbh).

I'm mainly worried about some complaints I've read regarding how slow the process can be, people waiting for weeks after making the payment with no answer....

I'd love to hear your opinions or any personal experience with it! Also, if anybody knows any tutorials about ad making, that would be greatly appreciated <33. Anyways, I hope someone is out there.

Thanks!!
FA: https://www.furaffinity.net/user/ramiel0912/
Here's my take on it as somebody who's runs the ad system: it really depends on what you're trying to sell and what your goals are.

Just buying advertising space alone does not guarantee you sales or even clicks. It's a mix that depends on a few factors such as how much effort you put into your ad design, what you're selling, how much you're selling it for, and the quality of the product. If you've ever seen an ad and thought "Who'd click that?" then you understand what I'm saying.

First and foremost, you should never buy an ad with the sole goal of it being to give you sales. What you should do is buy ads as a way to amplify your reach., get your name and product out there. We've had people who've had amazing success who've been buying ads off and on for upwards of ten years now.

Think of it like this: an ad alone won't increase your sales, but if you're active art marketing, pushing, and promoting your product across various places, somebody who sees your ad may go "Hey, I remember seeing stuff for the Plumbus and I kind of liked it. Maybe I'll click on it." Some people expect the ad to do all the heavy lifting, but that's not what ads do. It's kind of a whole package.

529715c099d1ef41c224889b3ad1ad55.gif

Here you go, an ad for the single best ad FA's ever had, made by Part-Time Dragons. Ads don't have to be overly complex, but they need to be enticing, give the viewer enough time to see the art, content, and really just promote itself clean and clearly while linking to product that's of interest to a potential buyer. This ad did almost 3X the performance of any other ad in FA's advertising history.

Ramiel0912

Here's my take on it as somebody who's runs the ad system: it really depends on what you're trying to sell and what your goals are.

Just buying advertising space alone does not guarantee you sales or even clicks. It's a mix that depends on a few factors such as how much effort you put into your ad design, what you're selling, how much you're selling it for, and the quality of the product. If you've ever seen an ad and thought "Who'd click that?" then you understand what I'm saying.

First and foremost, you should never buy an ad with the sole goal of it being to give you sales. What you should do is buy ads as a way to amplify your reach., get your name and product out there. We've had people who've had amazing success who've been buying ads off and on for upwards of ten years now.

Think of it like this: an ad alone won't increase your sales, but if you're active art marketing, pushing, and promoting your product across various places, somebody who sees your ad may go "Hey, I remember seeing stuff for the Plumbus and I kind of liked it. Maybe I'll click on it." Some people expect the ad to do all the heavy lifting, but that's not what ads do. It's kind of a whole package.

View attachment 134337

Here you go, an ad for the single best ad FA's ever had, made by Part-Time Dragons. Ads don't have to be overly complex, but they need to be enticing, give the viewer enough time to see the art, content, and really just promote itself clean and clearly while linking to product that's of interest to a potential buyer. This ad did almost 3X the performance of any other ad in FA's advertising history.
Woah, I wasn't expecting a reply from someone in charge of them! Thanks so much, that insight was really helpful ^^

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Woah, I wasn't expecting a reply from someone in charge of them! Thanks so much, that insight was really helpful ^^
My goal is to sell and promote our advertising, as that's how we fund and expand the site, but I also want to be realistic. Why? Because if you have a good ad experience you're more likely to come back, so I'd rather give you the knowledge you need to make any potential campaigns better.