• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Discussion Thread for (preliminary?) New UI

Konda

I was just throwing out a guess as to the size of suggested area.

Also, how would it make it "clunky?" All you would see is a scroll bar that, if done right, would blend in with the page itself (if it was visible at all). Or you would be able to scroll through using your mouse wheel.
Well with two scroll bars, we'd frequently move the one we didn't mean to or have to click inside/outside the comments to activate the correct scroll bar. And stuff like: moving the entire page up/down on accident due to reaching the end of the comments.
Multiple pages of comments work as well, or a button that says "show more comments" (that does kind of like what facebook does). Say, 50 comments, then you could see 50 more, then 50 more, etc?
Sounds good to me!

Last edited:

Sanyi

Blood, Sex, and Chocolate
Well with two scroll bars, we'd frequently move the one we didn't mean to or have to click inside/outside the comments to activate the correct scroll bar. And stuff like: moving the entire page up/down on accident due to reaching the end of the comments.
Can't say I've had that problem when I've come across it in other sites, but to each his/her own I guess!

quoting_mungo

I have to agree with Konda regarding the possibility of an internal scrollbar for the comments area; that kind of thing never seems to interact entirely nicely with mouse wheels, much less keyboard scrolling. Splitting comments up into pages when there's a lot of them isn't a bad idea, provided comment threading gets fixed and the pagination preserves threads (I know LJ's comment pagination does this, rather than have a hard limit on exactly how many comments will be displayed on a page).

Honestly, though, at least some of the concerns people have with pages that show a bazillion comments seem like they'd be alleviated by displaying a comment box above and below the comments on submissions that have comemnts.

Dodger Greywing

The Silver Gryphon
I have to agree with Konda regarding the possibility of an internal scrollbar for the comments area; that kind of thing never seems to interact entirely nicely with mouse wheels, much less keyboard scrolling. Splitting comments up into pages when there's a lot of them isn't a bad idea, provided comment threading gets fixed and the pagination preserves threads (I know LJ's comment pagination does this, rather than have a hard limit on exactly how many comments will be displayed on a page).
LJ's comment system is a good example; it has it's issues, but by and large I really love the system. An example of what NOT to do is whatever the fuck deviantART is doing. All that money they have and they can't even make a coherent comment system that keeps threads together. Oops, we could only fit the first two comments of this thread on the first page, guess it'll just repeat itself on the next page! That's stupid and I hate it.

DragonTalon

Unicorn and Rainbow Collector
I agree with Kinda as well. No extra scrollbars.

No "Load 100 more comments" button either please?

If you want a concrete example of why it's a bad idea, I often check for new messages by clicking on a page and hitting the END key. I don't want to have to scroll down to some window, making sure it isn't too high or too low and then click around to select it so I can scroll to the bottom. Then click more to go to the top of the PAGE to select my notes or something because now the focus is in that little window. Ugh. Separate scrolling areas are always a PITA.

A higher-contrast option would be greatly appreciated. I love dark/black backgrounds (as versus white/bright), but a higher contrast colour would need to be used - I can't hardly read anything on either page. Aside from text-colour, I do like all the colours except orange. Not a fan of orange, and when you have such soft colours like the green and blue on there - Then BAM, orange. It draws your eyes from the content, which (short of sparkle stuff) is typically softer in tone.

Between the Avatar and the info on the right side is a large gap that could probably be filled by expanding the name across it. Possibly enlarging the two "watch" and "send note" buttons as well to fill the gap - Maybe migrate the "journal" over there too, or fill in commision info there. So you end up having a utility left-hand-side, and an art/picture/gallery centered right hand side.

As far as functionality, as long as it stays simple like FA currently is - And avoids the crappy flash/html shit that DA, Flickr, SoFurry and stuff have going on, I know I'd be happy.

I'm not a fan of change, and this really doesn't change my mind, or make me like it more...But it's probably one of the least offensive-to-my-visual sensitivities (mostly because I can't read it xD) of a large overhaul.

The display page of an actual piece should leave all that info under rather than on the side. It would benefit smaller windows, smaller computers, smart phones, and all that - Plus it would remain consistent with FA. Too much change to visual and muscle memory (as seen on Youtube, Facebook, Second Life, etc.) draws lots of
negativity :c and I know I hate negativity and large changes.

As far as commentry goes. Love the current FA-style, even though it can kinda get retarded by extending out too far with indentation.

There should be a changeable amount of comments visible - Don't just leave it up to the "View more comments". Say like 10, 30, 50, 100 - You can set these in your preferences, and they will stick to wherever you log in. I prefer changing pages (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) rather than "load more" by a lot.

Last edited:

DragonTalon

Unicorn and Rainbow Collector
Speaking of page styles... one thing that really bugs me is the "worst of both words" combination of page styles.

Each user picks what style they want, and then designs their page around it. Which means if you are not using the same style they are, the page looks like crap or is unreadable with white text on bright backgrounds. I'd say at least a third of the pages I visit are unreadable currently.

Konda

How about the option to make gallery thumbnails be not thumbnails but the actual submission file itself, just in non-full-view size.
But, naturally, the tradeoff would be having fewer number of pics be displayed per page. (as low as 4 submissions per page, but I guess it could be as high as 12, or higher)

Clicking the pic would either open the submission page, or open the full-size pic in cinema view.
Or there could be an option to do either. (either in the gallery itself, or in site settings)

Failing that, though, bigger thumbnails/preview sizes is always a plus.

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt
How about the option to make gallery thumbnails be not thumbnails but the actual submission file itself, just in non-full-view size.
But, naturally, the tradeoff would be having fewer number of pics be displayed per page. (as low as 4 submissions per page, but I guess it could be as high as 12, or higher)

Clicking the pic would either open the submission page, or open the full-size pic in cinema view.
Or there could be an option to do either. (either in the gallery itself, or in site settings)

Failing that, though, bigger thumbnails/preview sizes is always a plus.

Because some people are still on slow connections.

It might work if the FA system took the submission, generated the thumbnail if one wasn't submitted, and generate a second thumb of about 300x300, so if you mouseover an interesting looking thumbnail, it expands a fair bit, so you can see if the submission is worth viewing.

Sanyi

Just wondering how this is coming along. I can't seem to get the pages to load anymore, so I'm somewhat curious.

Ratte

Just wondering how this is coming along. I can't seem to get the pages to load anymore, so I'm somewhat curious.

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. I do recall the on UI thread but that's pretty old. I want to see what's in store.

Sanyi

*necro'd*
Just reread some of the thread and apparently the open beta will be mid-late May... ish? :( Sad fishstick is sad.
Again, I ask (nicely): could we please get some kind of update on this? This is an update I've been waiting on since... well, a long time and I'm rather impatient about it. :3
Does the May-ish beta date still stand? Earlier? Later?
What kind of new bling-bling (*shudders* did I actually just say that?) will be added other than what was already mentioned?

Also: this is a "big update!!1111!!!!!!!!!1!" so... why hasn't this been stickied? :3