• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

DIY?

Van the cheesen one

What is this? What is that??
Who of you ever tried their hands on making their own games, be it on their own or with others?
I re-discovered old RPG-maker and Dating-sim projects from eons ago that I never finished and wondered how many on here also have, or if any even pushed through and made a full game?
I remember that things like the RPG-maker were really big a while back, is there anything comparable today?

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
I tried to do it years ago, back before the makers of RPG Maker even realized it HAD a decent US market. (I think 2003 is the first edition they ever actually sold to US customers and the edition I tried things on was 2000.) And I can tell you right now, I DO NOT have the remnants of those days. Not like I'd want them.

Thing is, the ONLY place where I feel I have good artistic talent is writing. Not art, not sound, maybe not even programming a complete complex system. Given enough cooldown time and a serious interest, I'd be willing to try again with stock assets and the basic system. But that's not how I remember the RPG Maker community behaving. I remember them being a bit... snobbier.

Oh, and my mapping was kinda trash back then. Dunno if it still is or if trying to run tabletop campaigns in roll20 improved my mapping skills even a little bit.

Van the cheesen one

What is this? What is that??
Back then I did not really get into communities or forums in general, I basically just did it with and for friends, so I cannot say much on that account xD
The RPG maker itself I got from a PC-magazine and it was such fun to deconstruct other games to see how they work and such, pleasant memories x3
At the time I did not have a tablet or anything though, which dampened my enthusiasm a bit since it made creating the art for the games a lot more tedious...Sometimes I still feel like giving it a shot again, but now I don't have the time xD

anonfoxer

trans girl, arctic fox, dingus. she/her
Not so much into making games but making content for games. Several years spent in the CFG community of the older CoD games, before i learned how to actually write in GSC. Personal utility mods for Minecraft. Currently working on a map for CSGO, as messing around with the Source engine was something I missed out on long ago. I think if that goes well Im gonna look to making content for things like the older Quake and Unreal Tournament games. Maybe even a DOOM Wad. :p