• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do any other furs find scented oils and such interesting?

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Meh, depends what's burning.

Burnt wood, plastic, or toast, I don't like that very much.
Plastic or toast smoke smells bad. I doubt there's anyone who enjoys plastic smoke who doesn't have cancer somewhere.
Dude. Hickory smoke. It's awesome

Magick

Posing school graduate
I think, for the most part, their medical effects are likely no greater than placebos unless the herbs in question happen to contain active medical ingrediants, unlike homeopathic medicines.
I'm not saying people should rely 100% on alternative medicine, unless there's proof of its effectiveness on people as well as possible side effects it should be something experimented with in less serious cases. Although when it comes to scented oils, it appears to be mostly a psychological (And to some, spiritual/religious) deal, like using a light soothing scent to help them relax when they have downtime, or possibly something with a darker and subtle smell to it if they're trying to attract some attention of certain individuals, but it is also a case by case situation with the wide variety of people with individual tastes.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I'm not saying people should rely 100% on alternative medicine, unless there's proof of its effectiveness on people as well as possible side effects it should be something experimented with in less serious cases. Although when it comes to scented oils, it appears to be mostly a psychological (And to some, spiritual/religious) deal, like using a light soothing scent to help them relax when they have downtime, or possibly something with a darker and subtle smell to it if they're trying to attract some attention of certain individuals, but it is also a case by case situation with the wide variety of people with individual tastes.

Well if there was proof it would just be 'medicine', wouldn't it?

I agree that psychological effects are important for people to relax and heal. This can be replicated in hamsters, which heal more effectively if lab lights are tuned to mimic summer sunlight in comparrison to gloomier wintery light.

The actual candle light often associated with scented candles might put people in such a 'safe' frame of mind.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
My mums recently got an oil cadle thing, candle underneath melts the oil and it smells strong, some of the flavors are rank though.
Always has the odd jostic in the house, usually to mask a bad fart.

Magick

Posing school graduate
Well if there was proof it would just be 'medicine', wouldn't it?
True, but I haven't heard of many doctors prescribing something other than pills for something that could possibly also be cured by an herbal remedy (Not trying to knock or discount modern medicine or the results achieved, but it might be worth considering alternatives with the rising prices in medical bills as well as some of the alarming side effects of some medicines made by pharmaceutical companies.)

TrinityWolfess

I really like incense which smell good of course then scented oils or scented candles. Some incense smell really strong which then gives me a headache...

Ouiji

I do use incense of varying scents. I have one that is lemon citronella, then there's good old frankincense. I try not to go with scents that smell like food as I find those distracting. The only scent I have come across that I don't like is pachouli, too much for me.

Icen

Poisonous Plant Woman
True, but I haven't heard of many doctors prescribing something other than pills for something that could possibly also be cured by an herbal remedy (Not trying to knock or discount modern medicine or the results achieved, but it might be worth considering alternatives with the rising prices in medical bills as well as some of the alarming side effects of some medicines made by pharmaceutical companies.)
This.

Also, people forget that things like herbs contain vitamins and minerals our bodies need to survive.

I honestly get quite sick of people think they need to pop a pill for every god damn negative reaction their bodies have for something and think that the only things that can save themselves is through pharmaceuticals. If anything, medicine should be used to help the healing process of a body that cannot get rid of an ailment on its own. The body needs to be taken care of with exercise, water, good food and a way to ease stress IMO with the occasional pill if there is something you can't fight off.

Percy

o-o
I haven't considered obtaining them, but I'd always appreciate a good smell.

Magick

Posing school graduate
Back on topic, I enjoy a wide variety of different scents though I favor floral, fruity and lighter scents. The five oils I have (Not including the free samples that came with) are called: Dragon Tears, Good, Elf, Fae and Veil.

I swear there's no theme to what I like :V

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?

A large number of modern medicines are herbal remedies/ sourced from nature. Asparin, pennicilin, anti-malarials etc

Herbs do have side effects because lots of plants have active medical molecules in them, so people should be aware of this too. For instance if you derive asparin from its natural source, willow, you can develop stomach ulcers if you don't give it the right chemical treatment.

This is the prime concern I have with herbal rememedies, some peple behave as if side effects are something you only get from synethic medicines, when 'o natural cures can also create awful side effects, but there's no label and safety advice telling you what to watch out for.

Aleu

Deuces
Not sure about any sort of healing properties but god do I love Japanese Cherry Blossom.

And absolutely despise Cinnamon.

Grunnolf

Raver
I love scented things but they always give me migraines so i don't have any =/.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I used to be a candle fanatic. I got all sorts of them my favorite being this strawberry scented one. Although lavender is nice.

Scented oils are ok. But I hate the mess. Same with hebs/incense and such. It got to be such a tedious thing. I might start up agian however. It was relaxing.
My fursuit smells of lavender :3

OT-
I love Yankee candle company. They don't sell my favorite one anymore that was strawberry cucumber. Though the kiwi and berries one I have now is magnificent.

Last edited:

Plantar

Soaked In Sin
The smoke really sets off my breathing, it gets harder for me to in the presence of incense. Scented oils are nice though.

Bir

Dream a little dream of me..
Yes! I very much am into burning oils in my home, the effects really are marvelous. Although I hate the smell of lavender, it really does have a calming effect. Not only do I use lavender when I'm upset, I also use it medicinally. The very essence of it is extremely calming for cramps, headaches, muscle pains, infections, rashes, and I even spritzed it on my dog when she had spaz attacks and seizures, it seemed to help them not be so intense.

I very much hate the smell of peppermint, too, but I use it when I need to focus.

My favorite is ginger. I burn ginger oil daily, put ginger in a lot of my food... it is a natural bactericide and helps relieve acidic issues in your body. One of my favorite ways to use ginger is to buy those little candy things called "Chimes." I eat them when I'm sick, and oh man, they're amazing.

Magick

Posing school graduate
I personally enjoy minty scents, I find them pretty refreshing just so long as it's not overpowering to the point of painful to keep my eyes open. (Interesting experience from when I took a tour of Celestial Seasonings tea place out in CO in grade school)

Percy

o-o
The smoke really sets off my breathing, it gets harder for me to in the presence of incense. Scented oils are nice though.
I'm not a fan of incense either. It's the fact that the smell lingers for a while that gets to me.

RaththeBlackDragon

yes im single
scented oils i love them if your gonna mess around with that stuff though youd better be careful thoughfor reasones youll know what im talking about

Sadhima

Bored
I actually have a few bottles of scented oil right here. They smell nice, but I have a hobby of making incense out of it. That cheap store-bought stuff smells awful. Some scents make me feel better in different ways, but I would only consider it to be aromatherapy at the most. Sure smells great!

YuPuffin

Blue and purple.
There are some smells I like, but I tend to dislike citrus scents because I don't like the taste, either. Too much of a scent can be annoying, but just a little is usually fine.

I am allergic to a lot of scents, though. >n<

DevistatedDrone

Poops in toilets.
Being anosmic, I could care less for the oils, but I bought my mom an oil burner for Christmas and she loves it.
Though I can't actually enjoy it, I do like toiling the oil with a toothpick for some reason.