• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do furries really hate anime/manga and anime/manga styled stuff?

Fruitythebeetle

Goes by kappapeachie now
Maybe I’ve been on twitter for too long but I always felt that a lot of furries seem hate a lot of anime unless it has anthros in it (beaststars and aggretsuko to name a few). And, I hate to be paranoid, um a tad concerned that I can’t get these shows. Most of the anime I watch largely star human or humans adjacent characters by coincidence. That and well, I feel like I’m one the few furries who can like both things I guess.

I feel kinda alienated as I find the typical Disney furry style to not be my cup of tea and I lean towards more eastern anime style furry art half the time along with more unique art styles. That and well, unless done well, long muzzles are hit or miss with me. Short to medium snouts look more appealing to me personally.

upload_2020-7-23_22-27-11.png

‘sorry if it seems kinda rambling, this thought occurred me while scrolling through one twitter complaining some furry talking about modern anime being kinda “creepy” nowadays. That and well, I’m concerned no one might like my furry style I wanna develop as I wanna move away from Disney style canines and draw more anime inspired furry art to be more in line with how I draw humans half the time.

tl;dr: do all furries hate weeb shit?

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I, for one, like anime (but mostly 80s and 90s stuff)

Is it just me, or is "creepy" content in anime gaining more mainstream popularity, while the actual content is getting less explicit? I've kind of been under a rock since high school, so it might just be me.

Zerzehn

Dojyaaaaaaaaan~
I can't speak for the fandom as a whole but personally, I can't stand most anime. I do like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and a few others but most I find to be rather just lacking or just there to generate $$$ from lonely basement dwellers.

MainHammond

Former Big Toasty Cinnamon Bun
Not quite sure if I'm a furry but I like everything.
From the bulky and feline looking Charrs from Guild Wars 2 to the cute designs of Aggretsuko.

I didn't like Seton Academy but not because of the designs.

Overall I just like to think about the possibilites of being different from the normal human.
Humans can be from different sizes and colors, but anthophomorfic creatures can be so much more.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I've seen those same twitter furries complain about anime being creepy but most furries actually like anime on some level in my experience. I mean we're already a nerdy fandom.

As a personal note I love anime! Currently in the middle of watching Gleipnir, The Eccentric Family, and Fairy Tail.
I loved the design of Elza the hyena despite being......a hyena
Despite? That was part of the appeal teehee

D

Deleted member 111470

Yes, all furries HATE anime. It is one of the requirements you need to fulfill in order to be accepted as a furry - to wage war on the filfthy normie weebs and their pathetic waifus. Like who even watches cartoons when they are older than 12 LMAO?!

Step aside Otakus, you and your fake katanas are no match for my 3000 foot 30000 tons obese lion who eats skyscrapers.

quoting_mungo

Aesthetic preferences will be a thing for better or for worse. There’s a few techniques/styles of rendering realistic fur that I find unappealing in more than fairly minimal use. Artists that use them seem to do fine regardless.

I’m sure there are some furries that dislike anime, but I also have no doubt that you can find plenty of artists leaning any (broad) direction you prefer. Don’t worry about what other people like.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
It's just a style, like saying a comedian is better than another when it's all opinion. I've seen some great anime and terrible anime, AND I've seen some great and not great non-anime as well.

I think a lot of the time it's because anime tends to be too for lack of a better word "over the top" in expressions and drawing styles, changing faces and proportions wildly and almost randomly. Furries often like to just appreciate the art of the character/scene as it is, but when it changing so wildly every panel/scene, it feels more like a madcap parody. Think Teen Titans (pre-Go!) compared to the modern Titans ("The Judias Contract") as an example. In one they still look the same regardless of whether they are talking, fighting, laughing...but in the other suddenly maybe Raven's head grows to the size of a truck and explodes during an argument for no reason, or Starfire suddenly shoves an entire 24 inch sub sandwich in her mouth all at once with her stomach expanding to obese levels before she swallows, for the joke. Throws off the consistent tone. Just my opinion of anime of course.

Fruitythebeetle

Goes by kappapeachie now
It's just a style, like saying a comedian is better than another when it's all opinion. I've seen some great anime and terrible anime, AND I've seen some great and not great non-anime as well.

I think a lot of the time it's because anime tends to be too for lack of a better word "over the top" in expressions and drawing styles, changing faces and proportions wildly and almost randomly. Furries often like to just appreciate the art of the character/scene as it is, but when it changing so wildly every panel/scene, it feels more like a madcap parody. Think Teen Titans (pre-Go!) compared to the modern Titans ("The Judias Contract") as an example. In one they still look the same regardless of whether they are talking, fighting, laughing...but in the other suddenly maybe Raven's head grows to the size of a truck and explodes during an argument for no reason, or Starfire suddenly shoves an entire 24 inch sub sandwich in her mouth all at once with her stomach expanding to obese levels before she swallows, for the joke. Throws off the consistent tone. Just my opinion of anime of course.

personally I find that funny ,however, I can see what you mean by that. At times, a anime can be serious one moment but then suddenly shifts into a simplified chibi anime style and it kinda takes me out of the story (like one anime o watched recently). It’s not always the case though. I’m normally not into overtly dramatic that’s like serious 24/7 so naturally, I tend to appreciate those scenes.

it’s funny because a lot of slapstick cartoons do similar things albeit in a different more western way but could have something to do with art style.

Zerzehn

Dojyaaaaaaaaan~
I hate most anime for so many other reasons.
I'm actually elated when I see legit anthros in anime.

And I mean this
AAAABaKEP_yE6dBSWonU8OyThWTRIT49b8XxKDNV1HO8rkZVf2Nmn8VJ9aTHvQZiAK8iSGasD1XyXDK5Iu9mQs3M2zBTmJCGo_82Cqj7s0JSFE9i2Rjt.jpg

Not trash like Kemono Friends or transformation shit for cowards.
Obviously, this is one true pairing. (even though I haven't watched it)

smolmuffin

A teeny muffin
I don't click with a lot of anime but I don't think that's related to its usual style. There's a lot of stuff out there to watch and I think its more of me being overwhelmed or not wanting to watch tons of seasons before it gets interesting for me.

I've seen Jojo (haven't finished, might not finish, do like the slightly softer style that starts up with part 4 tho) Beastars, My Hero Academia, Mob Psycho 100, Hetalia and Brave New Animal (BNA) So I end up sticking to the mainstream stuff but not against checking out something more obscure if it seems interesting to me. (I just end up forgetting to)

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
I enjoy (some) manga, but I can't stand anime. Mostly, it's the voice acting that I don't like. That goes for dubs and subs. (In fact, I find Japanese language anime voice acting even worse than dubbed.)

D

Deleted member 134556

From my personal experience, a large amount of people who hate our fandom use anime characters as their profile pictures,( that or pepes and crusader stuff XD) so it shouldn't be a surprise that you might meet some furries will say they dislike 'weebs'

This doesn't mean they hold any spite towards Japanese styled animation itself, (I personally love Miyazaki's work like Spirited Away) but it's not that different from hearing someone say "I love Rick and Morty, but the fanbase is horrible"

Last edited by a moderator:

Fruitythebeetle

Goes by kappapeachie now
there seems to be a few folks on this thread who are either indifferent or just kinda hate 90% of it. Not saying it’s proving my point since vocal minorities and all. I gotta be real with y’all, I can’t get into mainstream anime apart from the ones I grew up with like dragon ball and digimon. Most of the seasonal anime I watch are largely obsurce fare that most y’all probably never heard of. I be weird like that. At least I have a excuse to not watch brad new animal as apparently it’s cliched garbage. Shame.

From my personal experience, a large amount of people who hate our fandom use anime characters as their profile pictures,( that or pepes and crusader stuff XD) so it shouldn't be a surprise that you might meet some furries will say they dislike 'weebs'

This doesn't mean they hold any spite towards Japanese styled animation itself, (I personally love Miyazaki's work like Spirited Away) but it's not that different from hearing someone say "I love Rick and Morty, but the fanbase is horrible"

I get what you mean. I really hate those sorts of people especially the ones who think older anime stink ass for daring to draw their female characters as adults rather than loli bait. But, don’t I let these folks ruin a medium for me.

D

Deleted member 134556

there seems to be a few folks on this thread who are either indifferent or just kinda hate 90% of it. Not saying it’s proving my point since vocal minorities and all. I gotta be real with y’all, I can’t get into mainstream anime apart from the ones I grew up with like dragon ball and digimon. Most of the seasonal anime I watch are largely obsurce fare that most y’all probably never heard of. I be weird like that. At least I have a excuse to not watch brad new animal as apparently it’s cliched garbage. Shame.

I get what you mean. I really hate those sorts of people especially the ones who think older anime stink ass for daring to draw their female characters as adults rather than loli bait. But, don’t I let these folks ruin a medium for me.
Personally I have no problem with general anime fans. I usually watch One Piece or Full Metal Alchemist with my brother sometimes. It's good bonding and both shows are entertaining to say the least. I support his enthusiasm so on his last birthday I got him some old manga books from Vintage Stock. I'm happy he enjoys them so much.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

I like anime aesthetics but the stories can be hit or miss depending on the themes.

BlackDragonAJ89

Bumbling Everyman
I think the only way to really get under everyone's skin here is to say you just don't like cartoons, whether it be anime, western, all other eastern animation, that blasted house of mouse, or some stuff you watched on Saturday mornings. As much we draw furry characters, some of us just don't really care for cartoons.