• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you believe in God, or some similar thing?

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Aliens i believe in
floater_want_to_believe_by_chapteraquila92-daxszvj.png

ChromaticRabbit

lagomorphic
Banned
Do I believe in God?

Do I believe in the art that I have created? Yes. Someone else's? Sure, why not. Do I believe in patterns of thought or vision that I can hold in mind's eye? Yes. Do I believe in the inner lives of my friends and loved ones almost as if I always somehow carry them with me, even when they're not in the room with me, perhaps even after they have passed away? Yes. These are the elements that combine to form a living, breathing idea, or thoughtform, in your mind, with a palpable presence and emotional/spiritual significance. It might be what some people feel when they look at a national flag, a drawing of their identity character, or some pattern experienced in their mind while reading a poem or auditing art or music.

I think that at and before the dawn of human civilization, people began to formalize the power of ideas and belief in them, and art itself was a way of making those ideas extend out into the world and bolster that pattern and experience of thought and
belief pervasively. We tend to take this so for granted, or as second nature, as a matter of being culturally literate and saavy in our modern world, but it's insightful to be mindful how that process is working, especially since it's so widely misused and abused in our world of mass media broadcast memes.

And so I've said God is an artful idea, held as pattern of thought and welcomed as habitual celebrated meme in much the same way as someone might devote themselves with zeal and enthusiasm to the fandom, a personal art project, etc. I suppose it's important to pause and acknowledge that at this point, a lot of people are probably conflicted with things I've said because spirituality, God, and religion (and maybe some local flavor of Christianity itself, too) tend to be conflated in many minds, but I think it's really helpful to keep them as separate ideas.

Most religions would state it's their purpose to proclaim the sort of God described above does exists in a particular way, persists outside of minds, and is some flavor of directly endowed with supernatural character or ability. But there's really no reason to limit God to those things. Or to stop at one God. Why not a diverse pluralistic pantheon of gods, each afforded devotion as seems appropriate to you according to your values respective to what they represent? Why does a god need any powers? Maybe it's just a manifestation of nature, like a pattern of standing ripples as a river runs over a rock, and not a force being applied to move things in the world.

Anyway, at this point, I hope I've kind of stripped some elements apart, thoughtforms and gods, spirituality, religion (basically a society for a particular flavour of spiritual 'fandom')-- and it's not a huge stretch to say something like the anthro fandom fills some
or all elements for some people some of the time. But lots of things can, like NFL football, or attending live concerts. Now what I'd like to do is recombine the elements in the same way I might recombine ideas about a character for a new drawing, and try to
think of something that stands in to do for shared spirituality what religion aims to do, but done so for its own pure purposes-- not to control for Paternalistic or authoritarian or political purposes, but to inform and guide, to allow ourselves to swaddle and cloth ourselves in the spiritual warmth and splendour of our own cultivated bolstering beliefs and life-affirming aesthetics for existence, like growing a phantom tail, hooves, wings, or belief.

The best thing about all this is that you get to choose a la carte all the best elements of your own spiritual life and growth without having to necessarily submit to some dogma, bigotry, and narrowmindedness of institutionalized religion, where people become enslaved more to the rules than the original spiritual intent. Having said all that, there's so much there I've sort of waved my hands at and dismissed, but actually, there are really some schools of thought that I think kind of worked out the right ideas for an approach to an old familiar religion that would be fertile grounds for ideas about a system of spiritual belief that was agile and flexible enough to be both rational and intelligent about our changing world, too. That's what Transcendentalism aims to do, for example.

I conclude, God or god may be as real as an idea, and ideas can be made real indeed, especially by artists and poets (who we shall call high priests) and inspired by the living thought(s) of their belief and spiritual practice. Maybe it's enough just to hold these ideas together and achieve perspective from this view or one like it, and then extend that practice with some form of devotional or meditational habit.

It would be pretty cool to find a group of freaks, geeks, artists, psychonauts, priestesses, and furries to collaborate and conspire to create some sort of loose framework for shared spiritual practice together. Not with the weight of authority or dogma, but not entirely on a lark or as a gag, either.

Last edited:

katalistik

Chocolate scientist
Do I believe in God?

Do I believe in the art that I have created? Yes. Someone else's? Sure, why not. Do I believe in patterns of thought or vision that I can hold in mind's eye? Yes. Do I believe in the inner lives of my friends and loved ones almost as if I always somehow carry them with me, even when they're not in the room with me, perhaps even after they have passed away? Yes. These are the elements that combine to form a living, breathing idea, or thoughtform, in your mind, with a palpable presence and emotional/spiritual significance. It might be what some people feel when they look at a national flag, a drawing of their identity character, or some pattern experienced in their mind while reading a poem or auditing art or music.

I think that at and before the dawn of human civilization, people began to formalize the power of ideas and belief in them, and art itself was a way of making those ideas extend out into the world and bolster that pattern and experience of thought and
belief pervasively. We tend to take this so for granted, or as second nature, as a matter of being culturally literate and saavy in our modern world, but it's insightful to be mindful how that process is working, especially since it's so widely misused and abused in our world of mass media broadcast memes.

And so I've said God is an artful idea, held as pattern of thought and welcomed as habitual celebrated meme in much the same way as someone might devote themselves with zeal and enthusiasm to the fandom, a personal art project, etc. I suppose it's important to pause and acknowledge that at this point, a lot of people are probably conflicted with things I've said because spirituality, God, and religion (and maybe some local flavor of Christianity itself, too) tend to be conflated in many minds, but I think it's really helpful to keep them as separate ideas.

Most religions would state it's their purpose to proclaim the sort of God described above does exists in a particular way, persists outside of minds, and is some flavor of directly endowed with supernatural character or ability. But there's really no reason to limit God to those things. Or to stop at one God. Why not a diverse pluralistic pantheon of gods, each afforded devotion as seems appropriate to you according to your values respective to what they represent? Why does a god need any powers? Maybe it's just a manifestation of nature, like a pattern of standing ripples as a river runs over a rock, and not a force being applied to move things in the world.

Anyway, at this point, I hope I've kind of stripped some elements apart, thoughtforms and gods, spirituality, religion (basically a society for a particular flavour of spiritual 'fandom')-- and it's not a huge stretch to say something like the anthro fandom fills some
or all elements for some people some of the time. But lots of things can, like NFL football, or attending live concerts. Now what I'd like to do is recombine the elements in the same way I might recombine ideas about a character for a new drawing, and try to
think of something that stands in to do for shared spirituality what religion aims to do, but done so for its own pure purposes-- not to control for Paternalistic or authoritarian or political purposes, but to inform and guide, to allow ourselves to swaddle and cloth ourselves in the spiritual warmth and splendour of our own cultivated bolstering beliefs and life-affirming aesthetics for existence, like growing a phantom tail, hooves, wings, or belief.

The best thing about all this is that you get to choose a la carte all the best elements of your own spiritual life and growth without having to necessarily submit to some dogma, bigotry, and narrowmindedness of institutionalized religion, where people become enslaved more to the rules than the original spiritual intent. Having said all that, there's so much there I've sort of waved my hands at and dismissed, but actually, there are really some schools of thought that I think kind of worked out the right ideas for an approach to an old familiar religion that would be fertile grounds for ideas about a system of spiritual belief that was agile and flexible enough to be both rational and intelligent about our changing world, too. That's what Transcendentalism aims to do, for example.

I conclude, God or god may be as real as an idea, and ideas can be made real indeed, especially by artists and poets (who we shall call high priests) and inspired by the living thought(s) of their belief and spiritual practice. Maybe it's enough just to hold these ideas together and achieve perspective from this view or one like it, and then extend that practice with some form of devotional or meditational habit.

It would be pretty cool to find a group of freaks, geeks, artists, psychonauts, priestesses, and furries to collaborate and conspire to create some sort of loose framework for shared spiritual practice together. Not with the weight of authority or dogma, but not entirely on a lark or as a gag, either.

Impressive.I totally agree with you.But there is a lot of pain and suffering that we need to take care first.I know that we can be better as a whole.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
Every human being believes in the existence of a higher power, even cults do.
Yeah, no. I don't. Satanists doesn't. Atheists doesn't. Even a lot of religious people are questioning whether this Sky Daddy of theirs exist.

A

Alex K

As an Athiest I'd like to see someone tell that if God really does exist, then howcome we got taxes? : )

SSJ3Mewtwo

satanists believe in Satan as the higher power..

Different branches of Satanism have different core beliefs, but no, not all Satanists believe that Satan is a real figure.

Don't believe me? Here's an interview with the current High Priest of the Lavantian Satanists.

Belatucadros

Bitches love sticks
I wouldn't really consider myself "religious" in any way, but I guess I'm more of a spiritualist person. Spiritualists aren't forced to go to a church, as I do not. We aren't forced to believe in any certain God, or any God at all for that matter. We can believe in whatever or however many higher powers we want from different cultures. We never judge other religions or people who don't believe in any higher power at all(Athiests), because that's just wrong to do anyways. Gays and Lesibans are equal to everyone else, and there's nothing wrong with them to us... unlike most other religions. I never actually believed in any higher power at all before, until I discovered mediumship... which actually isn't a scam at all, as most people think.

Last edited:

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Every human being believes in the existence of a higher power, even cults do.

While this is false, I'm not sure what the relevance of it is. If every human believed the earth to be flat, the earth would still be round.

Revous

My God is half-Higgs Boson, half-"my whole family is pagan so there's that".
So basically, loving/being in awe with the forces of nature and the universe as a whole.

AustinB

Professional loser
I don't know if God exists or not, so I'm not going to say if I do or don't believe in God. I'm not sure if God (or a God) exists. Nobody really knows if one exists. The only way to find out is through dying, and frankly enough, I'm not that curious to know if God exists. I want to live a long happy life before I get my answer.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi

Jibbers Crabst in my true god!

Z

Zaddict16

I used to be a Christian until about 4 years ago.

Right now I don't exactly know what I fall under? Perhaps some form of agnosticism, but I do believe in supernatural, things beyond our plane of existence, in a more general way, for I can't tell what they or it manifests as.
How come you gave up on your faith?

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zaddict16

I don't know if God exists or not, so I'm not going to say if I do or don't believe in God. I'm not sure if God (or a God) exists. Nobody really knows if one exists. The only way to find out is through dying, and frankly enough, I'm not that curious to know if God exists. I want to live a long happy life before I get my answer.
Actaully that's not true. You don't HAVE to die to get a definite answer. Start reading a Bible if you have one, maybe start praying, ask God to help you. Pretty much what I'm saying is, if you having the burning desire to want more of Him in you, more of His divine power to build up inside you, you can start to know the Holy Spirit.
The best way to do this is to teach yourself how to hear His voice. And the reality is that every single person can hear his voice. It's that one tells you to second guess yourself when your about to do something wrong, the one that speaks encouragement to you when your feeling defeated.
Spiritual Dicernment is one of the many ways to know more of him.
I go to church, but I'm going to tell you right now, I don't know all of the answers. No one does. Except for Him.
So don't just read this and shrug it off, take it heart and you'll see yourself changed and He will bring you into places you've only dreamed of.

MadKiyo

I've been de-batted, oh no!
How come you gave up on your faith?
The evidence often cited for religions is boiled down to absence of explanation, which should not be a substitute for an answer. Theories of the origin of life and the universe I also don't hold as an answer, but I think they should be used when we need them as they are evidence driven and give us what we do know in order to find what we don't. I'm not confident we will ever find the concrete answer to this conglomeration we call existence, but "I don't know yet, but I'll pick up the clues", is the most honest I can be.

Z

Zaddict16

I totally respect thr
The evidence often cited for religions is boiled down to absence of explanation, which should not be a substitute for an answer. Theories of the origin of life and the universe I also don't hold as an answer, but I think they should be used when we need them as they are evidence driven and give us what we do know in order to find what we don't. I'm not confident we will ever find the concrete answer to this conglomeration we call existence, but "I don't know yet, but I'll pick up the clues", is the most honest I can be.
I totally respect that, and you're right we probably won't ever know all the answers but for me personaly, I'm fine with waiting or not even knowing at all. I know what I know, and what The Lord wants me to know and I'm happy with that.

MadKiyo

I've been de-batted, oh no!
I totally respect thr

I totally respect that, and you're right we probably won't ever know all the answers but for me personaly, I'm fine with waiting or not even knowing at all. I know what I know, and what The Lord wants me to know and I'm happy with that.

I always found the Christian faith very humbling and welcome though, despite what a lot of people give it flak for. I always wind up defending religious positions on the grounds of "intolerance" and "stupidity", which are often wrongfully attributed to people who are otherwise accepting of people and their freewill, and have very meaningful and hard-earned careers.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Different branches of Satanism have different core beliefs, but no, not all Satanists believe that Satan is a real figure.

Don't believe me? Here's an interview with the current High Priest of the Lavantian Satanists.

I like to say that Satanists are "apatheists," in that we don't particularly care whether or not God exists, because believe it's irrelevant--though, our assumption is that God is essentially a construct created by human beings to provide a sense of purpose and meaning, explain the universe, enforce social norms and hierarchies, and help us to justify our general bullshit. The majority of Satanists identify as agnostics or atheists.

If you want to get even more technical, Satanists are autodeists, because we consider ourselves to be our own gods, but don't mean this in any grand or supernatural sense.

I've been a member of the church since 2000, and currently hold the rank of Witch (2nd Degree), so them's my credentials.

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Fighter of the Nightman
Weirdly enough Anton LaVey was an Obectivist. Like a lot of people you may leave Objectivism but Objectivism won't full leave you. In LaVey's case he started the Church of Satan which is a quasi form of Objectivism. In fact: Satanism and Objectivism | churchofsatan.com