• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Do you believe in God, or some similar thing?

Akartoshi

you have been booped by the web potater foxxo
Well sure. But can I ask... what is so bad about preaching?
For me, I find it very annoying because it's just an extra irrelevant paragraph that gets very irritating. It's off topic to the point, and for most of us, we've already made our decisions about Christianity. I am not miraculously going to convert because someone online on a forum website starts preaching. (In fact, after talking with some people here, I really now don't want to ever, ever touch Christianity again. But that's just me.)

It is repetitive, takes away from the main point, and most of us don't want to hear it. We get it. But we're not going to suddenly change our views.

Pondfox

For me, I find it very annoying because it's just an extra irrelevant paragraph that gets very irritating. It's off topic to the point, and for most of us, we've already made our decisions about Christianity. I am not miraculously going to convert because someone online on a forum website starts preaching. (In fact, after talking with some people here, I really now don't want to ever, ever touch Christianity again. But that's just me.)

It is repetitive, takes away from the main point, and most of us don't want to hear it. We get it. But we're not going to suddenly change our views.

Ah

Well I can't vouch for everyone, but I know when I "preach" it is not necessarily to smack someone over the head with the truth until they get it. That's not very realistic. I'm simply so excited about the hope I've found that I want to share it, and if someone decides they are interested in that hope too, than that's a huge blessing and I'm definitely willing to talk more about it. I really don't care for debate of any kind, so that's definitely not my goal either. For me personally, "preaching" is just me wanting to share what I have found and discovered for myself, not an attempt to get someone to decide to go to church or suddenly change who they are or what they believe. I can't do that anyway.

I'm truly sorry you have encountered a type of preaching that is irritating or monotonous.

LinnyChanPL

Linnie :3
So I'm going to answer the question:

Yeah I do believe in God

HOWEVER

not in Church.

and I don't know how to call it..? I was born and raised in a Christian family but I don't like going to church and praying every day, confessing sins every month and so on...I just don't believe in pastors/priests. For me, they don't have any power to get rid of your sins. Only God can. As long as you believe in Him, you should be fine. I also think God was too tired with people so He is on some kind of vacation/break.

I believe that you go where you believe. If you believe in reincarnation, you will reincarnate and so on.

The hell am I. Not a pure Christian, for sure.
I'm such a mess xD

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
Since I've heard of this concept, I've always found this interesting. After all, what is an observer that QM should change it's very behavior when something is observed???
I feel like you both are mixing up the meaning of “observer” in this context, and you have to be reeeeaaaaally careful when mixing quantum mechanics and philosophy. For example, it’s not specifically a human that collapses a wave function. That occurs when any previously isolated quantum system interacts with the rest of the universe or some sufficiently large subsystem in it. We happen to be very large objects that are strongly coupled to our environment, so it’s extremely difficult for us to interact with (i.e. observe) a quantum system without screwing it up.

In short, the answer to your question here is rather boring: literally any system coupled to the environment is an “observer” that can collapse the wave function of an isolated system.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
I feel like you both are mixing up the meaning of “observer” in this context, and you have to be reeeeaaaaally careful when mixing quantum mechanics and philosophy. For example, it’s not specifically a human that collapses a wave function.

<snip>

In short, the answer to your question here is rather boring: literally any system coupled to the environment is an “observer” that can collapse the wave function of an isolated system.
That makes sense. Thanks for answering it!

And yes, I've heard lots of really strange philosophy surrounding QM. Most can be dismissed as pseudoscience but some thought experiments like Schrodinger'd cat are interesting to ponder.

Back on topic: my intention when I originally posted here wasn't to convert anyone but to simply state what I believe & why. If what I believe is not for you, fine! It's not my job to covert the furry fandom.

As for debating, I like debate. Sorry if that's not popular. I'm not trying to piss anyone off or get in anyone's face but if someone attacks something I believe that's like waving a flag to a bull. I'll do best to defend it. I debate plenty of non-religious things too. I participate in a science & futurism group on Facebook. We never discuss religion and yet all it takes is someone mentioning the EM drive and suddenly there are pages of debate filled with graphs amd equations and chances are, I'm right there in the middle of it.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
L

-..Legacy..-

Waiting on approval

Now back to our normally scheduled debate.

D

Deleted member 82554

I also believe that what doesn't kill you, hasn't succeeded yet.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Never compare anything to cancer.

Thank you.
Cancer is uncontrolled growth beyond the norm, often harming the whole through lack of communication. It would be an apt description according to what this fellow has to say about fanatics of every denomination:

A

AshtheDragon

Cancer is uncontrolled growth beyond the norm, often harming the whole through lack of communication. It would be an apt description according to what this fellow has to say about fanatics of every denomination

No it's not.

[edited for clarity]: No, it's not apt.

What you describe. It's a tired and frankly callous internet meme that is very disrespectful to cancer survivors, patients, and their families.

I don't want to describe my medical status or that of others I know with people I've never met, but this comment and the other person's is personally offensive, rude, and insensitive. You may "know" what cancer is, but you seriously have no idea what you're talking about- and this is because you and the other person don't factor in the toll it takes on families and patients' lives.

If I were either of you, I wouldn't do it in mixed company again.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChapterAquila92

Banned
Last edited:
A

AshtheDragon

I am in no way condoning the misuse of the word.

You just did.

"Apt" is synonymous with "suitable", "fitting", "appropriate", "befitting"...
The antonym of apt is inappropriate.

Particularly in your saying it was "apt". It's all the evidence I need of your condoning its use in this context, your approval in the context. Just by you saying it's "apt" you accept it and allow it (condone; allow/agree with behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive).

It is suitable to you. Again, you condone it by just saying it's apt.
It is inappropriate to me and should not, under any circumstances, be condoned. I take issue with it.

...but its definition can be reasonably applied outside of medicine to include rampant social ills that are detrimental to a society's overall health.

And that it, in your own words, can be "reasonably applied". Further evidence of your approval. It is out and out condoning.

Your argument is detrimental to my overall health and doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

ChapterAquila92

Banned
You just did.

"Apt" is synonymous with "suitable", "fitting", "appropriate", "befitting"...
The antonym of apt is inappropriate.

Particularly in your saying it was "apt". It's all the evidence I need of your condoning its use in this context, your approval in the context. Just by you saying it's "apt" you accept it and allow it (condone; allow/agree with behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive).

It is suitable to you. Again, you condone it by just saying it's apt.
It is inappropriate to me and should not, under any circumstances, be condoned. I take issue with it.

And that it, in your own words, can be "reasonably applied". Further evidence of your approval. It is out and out condoning.

Your argument is detrimental to my overall health and doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
If something as pedantic as vocabulary is enough to set you off on a wild rant that ignores such things as context, all because it triggers a certain biochemical reaction inside your brain that induces revulsion, God forbid we have an actual debate over politics or religion.

A

AshtheDragon

If something as pedantic as vocabulary is enough to set you off on a wild rant that ignores such things as context, all because it triggers a certain biochemical reaction inside your brain that you don't like, God forbid we have an actual debate over politics or religion.

Haha

Hurrdurr

This comes after you rattle off a definition of cancer.

Conclusion (edit: based on your own admission) religion is not cancer.

We're done here, I think.

ChapterAquila92

Banned
Haha

Hurrdurr

This comes after you rattle off a definition of cancer.
Please, do enlighten us. Feel free to make me eat my own words, if you will. :rolleyes:

No, I still stand by my words. If you still have your panties in a knot over it, you can take your feelings elsewhere, because as it stands you are not the first critter I've encountered who's had an emotional problem with my vocabulary, and you're definitely not the first to react by trying to control my tongue.
Conclusion: religion is not cancer.

We're done here, I think.
Seeing as your beef on that particular matter was with someone else, I'll let that one slide. The cancer is not religion; it's the idiot fanatics that give it a bad rep through their actions.

Last edited:
A

AshtheDragon

Please, do enlighten us. Feel free to make me eat my own words, if you will. :rolleyes:

No, I still stand by my words. If you still have your panties in a knot over it, you can take your feelings elsewhere, because as it stands you are not the first critter I've encountered who's had an emotional problem with my vocabulary, and you're definitely not the first to react by trying to control my tongue.

Haha

A

AshtheDragon

hmmm.png
I'm a Christian and I'm a "fanatic". You would probably deem me so by this post: (forums.furaffinity.net: Do you believe in God, or some similar thing?)

Now, look up what I said on page 3 of this thread (forums.furaffinity.net: Furry Fandom, Christianity, and Sexuality and 8 (forums.furaffinity.net: Furry Fandom, Christianity, and Sexuality and you'll see for yourself how I'm not a "cancer" cell, or detrimental to society. And that the Bible never calls Christians to be so.

Don't make assumptions without having a full evaluation of someone's belief system, without knowing its nuances and how people who subscribe should and do react to other people who disagree with them on serious issues.

ChapterAquila92

Banned
View attachment 22535

I'm a Christian and I'm a "fanatic". Look up what I said on page 3 and 8 and you'll see for yourself.
Eh... People come up with... interesting ways to express their passionate devotion to something, be it Christianity, Doctor Who, or Justin Beiber. Especially when it comes to nitpicking the shit out of canon.